Took out Bambi

Have the body shop color match the panel as best they can otherwise you are in for a blend to match the RF door which requires disassembly.

Got super lucky in that the local pull-a-part had a black 07-08 Pacifica (only model years that work). The fender is in what I consider okay condition, but I really scored on the hood. It's flawless for its age. I hadn't intended to replace the hood but mine has clear coat failing, so I wasted no time pulling both.

Originally I was going to try to bend the sheet metal that holds the headlight & fender back into place, but a buddy of mine convinced me that it would be a fool's errand and he's probably right. So he went with me to said junkyard and with a battery operated sawzall, I cut a section of the fender well/headlight mount (whatever you call it) off the donor car. I then carefully cut out the affected section from mine and transplanted it.

Gave a shot at TIG welding (I'm trying to learn), but gave up on that real quick. It MIG welded into place just fine. Need to put a lot of paint / coating on the affected area. I don't have a crystal ball, but I think when I'm done I won't be able to tell a deer ever hit it.

Cost so for:

Fender: $45
Hood: $60
Fender well liner & headlight assy (Rockauto): <$200
Cut out piece (they charged me for a bracket): $20

Part cut from donor car:

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

The transplant:

IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

Now it's just putting everything back together. I'll post some pics when it's finished, hope to have it wrapped up this coming week.

IMG_6800.jpg

Got the welds fully coated in primer and a rubberized coating. Fender is on, air intake duct in place and have the new wheel well liner lined up. Body lines on the fender matched up nicely with a little tweaking. I'm down to screwing the wheel well liner in, bumper cover, hood and headlights. I knew this before, but it's much faster taking things apart than putting back together. I don't have much time on weekdays, but I'll be finished up tomorrow for sure.

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

IMG_6828.jpg

Finally got it complete. Not perfect, but good enough for a $500 repair using mostly salvage parts on a 17 year old car. Gaps are a bit wider in places, did my best. I give kuddos to body shop technicians who have to get things just right-- it really is an art.

My biggest gripe is that AVS consolidated their bugshield line to a single one that fits 2004-2008 Pacifica models. They used to have 2004-06 and a separate one that fit 2007-08, as the hood lines are slightly different. The old 07-08 model fit mine like a glove, this new one doesn't follow the lines in places, but most wouldn't notice. I'm also bummed the replacement fender doesn't have pinstripes :)

Bonus is that my son got to dissect the old projector headlamp. Magnifying glass on steroids, and when viewed from either end it turns the image upside down.

1.jpeg

IMG_6854.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6866.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen that era Pacifica (nevermind a respectable looking one) in quite some time
Your's is a '07/'08 Limited with the 4.0 HO/6 speed?
Top of the line 👍
Excellent work 👏
Thank you. Yep, 4.0L w/ 6 speed Limited. I picked this thing up in 2018 @ 130K miles for $5K. The wife and I had a toast after the repair that we'll drive it at least another 100K. It's been a great car.

Nice work and nice shop! That came out looking much better than I anticipated. Maybe just get the 3M rubber wheel attachment and remove the pinstripe on that side if not the whole car?

Nice work and nice shop! That came out looking much better than I anticipated. Maybe just get the 3M rubber wheel attachment and remove the pinstripe on that side if not the whole car?
Thanks! The old vinyl pinstripe on the car is faded/dull, but it really adds aesthetics to it. I'd hate to take it all off.

I'm half tempted to let my daughter mimic the pinstripe color on this "new" fender with paint. She's quite the artist, and if she messes up, she'll be the one that has to live with it most :). As much as I love the car, it's mostly going to be relegated to kid duty, as of this month I now have two teenagers with learners permits. I told them they can't wreck it though, it's my only vehicle that can tow a trailer. I built my shop hauling materials with it, with the rare exception of borrowing a truck from work for the longer/heavier pieces.

Last edited:
When you see a deer outside: Aaawww, look at the pretty deer. Oh, there's its baby...They're so cute.
After you hit one with your car: I want it DEAD. I want its family DEAD, I want the woods burnt TO THE GROUND!

Great job saving the van.

It came out great. What a beautiful shop too!

I think a lot of us had a bad year with deer. In the past 7 months, I had to file two insurance claims due to deer hits. $9K to fix my wife's 2019 Pathfinder. That one was bad. Basically the whole front clip. My 2022 Frontier was just front end plastic and one headlamp and that was $4700.

It came out great. What a beautiful shop too!

I think a lot of us had a bad year with deer. In the past 7 months, I had to file two insurance claims due to deer hits. $9K to fix my wife's 2019 Pathfinder. That one was bad. Basically the whole front clip. My 2022 Frontier was just front end plastic and one headlamp and that was $4700.
I slowed down last week going “don’t do it” … “don’t ………”
She did but with my foot already on the brake - managed to dodge

Reactions: JTK
Our hits really freaked me out because in both instances, the deer shot out of brush / blind spots giving us no time to react. We've lived in the area long enough to know to be on constant lookout for them, which makes it sting even worse. I had forgotten to include my 22yr/old hitting one with her 2016 Malibu as well in the same timeframe. I was able to remove some broken plastic bits and somewhat piece it back together with some new push plugs. All 3 hits were during the first and second rut season (sp?).

I've had a couple of those. A year ago, on the road that takes me into town I saw what looked like a great dane in somebody's backyard. For an instant I thought "that's a big dog" and a moment later it jumped their chain link fence and was headed to the road right toward me, clearly a doe. I was in my Maxima w/out ABS, so got to hone my skills of brake hard enough, but not so hard you go sliding off the road :).

Back