Hit a deer on the way to work

My dad showed the insurance company that no structural damage had occurred and it was just cosmetic. They fixed it without totalling it after just cosmetic parts were replaced.
That was probably not the real reason.

Finally got her back together. Spent lots of down time at the body shop awaiting their estimate, to officially say it’s a total loss.

I ended up buying it from the insurance company and called my local repair shop. He towed it back to his shop and replaced the radiator, condenser , headlight and grill. I ordered a used bumper and here we are. Not perfect but I’m glad to have her back. Still runs great and the fact I couldn’t find anything nearly as clean for the insurance payout amount made this a no brainer.

Here is a before and after
hey thanks for the update! looks like that body shop did a really nice job.. It doesn't sound like it was more than cosmetic damage, meaning.. instead of the frame/chassis being bent. With the insane high prices out there, it really does make sense for you to fix what you have.. (y)

That was probably not the real reason.
Actually yes. Not sure why you'd say that. Initially the insurance adjuster assumed it was totalled. Once they took a second look and found mostly cosmetic damage they just opted to repair the parts.

Just fix it yourself and don't report it if you're worried about them writing it off.

What kind of insurance coverage do you carry on a car that old?

Hope the deer didn't suffer long.

I read US population DOUBLED since I was born, and up 50% since I graduated from H.S.

That is a HUGE problem right there.

Glad you or any adjacent drivers were not hurt.

Actually yes. Not sure why you'd say that. Initially the insurance adjuster assumed it was totalled. Once they took a second look and found mostly cosmetic damage they just opted to repair the parts.
I’ll give you a hint: how long did it take them to take a second look?

Back