Toilet Paper Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recommending STILKO toilet paper oil filters to a friend; and thought to give an update about my experiences with one.

They are now produced in the Union of South Africa, whose web address is; http://stilko.co.za/>.

I got mine at a hospice thrift store for $5 from an older gentleman who'd been selling a '67 Checker Marathon station wagon the STILKO came from, he'd put a new motor and transmission in with an Amsoil filtration system on both.

Not a great recommendation for the STILKO, but remembering a friend in high school whose father had a Franz toilet paper oil filter he'd sworn by, I decided to start using the STILKO on my '91 Ford Festiva at about 85,000 miles.

I've tried to change the roll of toilet paper every 3,000 miles and get parts from an older man in San Diego who'd been a dealer for both STILKO and Franz. The oil always is clear and pristine looking with every new roll of toilet paper and at over 173,000 miles my car runs great, which I've not changed the oil on since installation of the STILKO: Other than while doing an oil treatment said to clean the piston rings as well as the crankcase, recommended by a member at http://www.fordfestiva.com>.

I did this oil treatment called Auto Rx about 20,000 miles ago and there was a lot of sludge which came out when I drained the oil the first time, which I'd repeated with a second treatment as recommended for higher mileage vehicles; though draining the petroleum based oil I'd used as recommended for the Auto Rx treatment a second time, there was negligible if any sludge.

Other than during the Auto Rx treatment the car has always had synthetic oil, though lately I've switched from Mobile One to Napa's brand to save money, due to what I think is a leaky crank or cam seal or both, with oil accumulating around the timing belt cover and having to add oil much more frequently than I'm used to.

My plugs always look great so I'm obviously not burning any oil, and next time I change the timing belt which is due soon; I'm going to try to change the cam and crank seals also. My mechanical abilities are limited, but always cheaper to buy the tools and do the job myself than pay anyone else; where I've also encountered some sleazy enough experiences in shops willing to victimize a person. Four VW motor overhauls and I'm dangerous at least, eh?

Anyway, I'd give STILKO a great thumbs up at the moment, but the next hundred thousand miles will tell the truest story; which could be truncated by the collapse of the world economy, gasoline prices so high only the plutocracy will be able to drive...and/or environmental degradation severe enough cars are generally banned which in my opinion would've been a great idea thirty years ago; where now the world's oceans are expected to become sterile within this century.

True, STILKOs are a little messy, but a person gets used to that; and I like the novelty too. They love me in grocery stores, when I go into my rap about "thats for my car" etc. Hey, great slogan for STILKO; "you never get a bum deal!"

Last edited:
Like others I used Frantz for years starting in about 1962. They absorb water, not add it, don't put paper into the oil, and they filter to submicron levels. Guys selling these then went to great lengths to prove all this with demo setups, oil testing etc. They still don't make up for worn out oil additives, the company used to sell the add pack. The main reasons I think they lost favor was most people are not that interested in car care, engine bays got too crowded, and that toilet paper rolls got much smaller and flimsier, so the correct use got even more difficult. They are still selling Frantz and the correct TP as well. I think Costco TP looks more like the rolls of old before profits and resulting stock prices became the main goal in life. If I could fit one I would buy one for the $200 they cost now. I used to have a box full of them which I took to the metal recycling years ago. The paper disposal is like any other oil filter.

I use Scott single-ply rolls; though the elderly man I get parts for the STILKO from who is near San Diego, mentioned selling rolls specifically for the STILKO by the case.

I figure since I add a quart or so of oil every time I change the toilet paper; this is certainly compensation for worn oil additives-not to mention some oil leaks; probably my front crank seal or cam seal I need to try to fix.

Now that I've gotten my own habits about changing the toilet paper rolls in the STILKO, that spin-on unit seems exceptionally easy to use. If I were wealthier I'd get another; so that I could remove one and replace that with the other, then take my time changing the toilet paper. Just about perfect then. Though any brain-dead moron has to wonder why normal spin-on filters don't have elements which would filter just as well?

My notion is that manufacturers simply want their products to wear out prematurely. Or else the many means of creating longevity would long ago have been instituted throughout all product lines. With the general populace creatively and intelligently informed...

Hey, when you have people filling their own bodies with garbage; what can you expect? Where this has scandalous implications of the greatest order.

I get upset hearing anyone call my '91 Ford Festiva a "disposable" car; but, look at how we treat ourselves too. YUCK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Newtonville
If I could fit one I would buy one for the $200 they cost now.

The STILKO is virtually identical in dimensions to a regular spin-on filter; only slightly bulkier. With few exceptions, I'd think one would fit in any application as easily or nearly so, as the regular spin-on.

As busy as many contemporary engine bays have become though, a person might certainly be well advised to get the exact dimensions of the STILKO as well as the space that would need to fit.

And/or be able to return the unit if necessary...which since now made in the Union of South Africa; might be a chore. They sell for over a hundred dollars.

I'd guess if one checked around diligently enough, domestic suppliers might be found?

I recently acquired 50 STILKO TP OIL FILTERS MODELS SK-12 SK 13 & SK 14 , NO NEED TO GO TO AFRICA TO GET THESE CONTACT ME BY EMAIL "[email protected]" for sale on ebay ......These can be polished to a shinny chrome these are NOS from 1960 in origional boxes & brochures $100 including shipping. sk-12's are for most v-8's & the sk-13 & 14's fits other models also have a stilko VW oil adapteres that connect to the sk-12's for $150. located in vegas trusted seller private party 50 AVAILABLE. Profesional Polished & painted fins are available for $250

I recently acquired 50 STILKO TP OIL FILTERS MODELS SK-12 SK 13 & SK 14 , NO NEED TO GO TO AFRICA TO GET THESE CONTACT ME BY EMAIL "[email protected]" for sale on ebay ......These can be polished to a shinny chrome these are NOS from 1960 in origional boxes & brochures $100 including shipping. sk-12's are for most v-8's & the sk-13 & 14's fits other models also have a stilko VW oil adapteres that connect to the sk-12's for $150. located in vegas trusted seller private party 50 AVAILABLE. Profesional Polished & painted fins are available for $250

The filter I put on my nearly new 1971 VW Van looked exactly like those. Unfortunately the van got stolen with less than 9,000 miles on it shortly after that.

I paid something like $40 from JC Whitney.

Edit: Inflation adjusted, that $40 was prolly more than today's price. It was solidly built, kinda purty. The only oddball thing was that you had to roll off part of the TP roll before it would fit in the canister.

Last edited:
The Stilko looks to use TP as a bypass filter, while bypassing the rest of the oil flow unfiltered, if using on a full flow application. According to a picture of the design on ebay. If so, that's interesting but not something I would experiment with on my car.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
So the Stilko looks to use TP as a bypass filter, while bypassing the rest of the oil flow unfiltered, if using on a full flow application? If so, that's interesting but not something I would experiment with on my car.

Good point. The one I used on my VW used an adaptor because the VW didn't have a full flow filter, or any filter for that matter. I sure wouldn't use one in place of a full flow filter.

I would be a decent setup with a Permacool sandwich ..plumbed to a dual remote mount. That might give you 10k+ with today's (well, "today" is too dynamic a thing) engines that produce far less insolubles to plug the things. Naturally you can always manage the perpetual sump thing, but getting the service points out there long enough is the biggest obstacle from the way I reason it.

I have an MG that I was going to use on an automatic. I probably should put it on an engine to see how long a roll will last with a relatively contemporary daily driver with a decent commute.

That all said, a distinctive vintage item like this would make a fine addition to any "fine junque" shrine
grin2.gif

Those TP filters were quite common on the old Ford flatheads. They had a bypass oiling system If the filter plugged up--no big deal. John--Las Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back