Tires from Walmart

Just want to add (didn't see it mentioned yet) that Walmart is an absolute stickler about not installing a different size tire than what the door sticker (glovebox, wherever) specifies. Doesn't matter if you already have a different size and replace with equal specs. They'll outright refuse.

Only exception I've encountered was on my 72 Pinto wagon about 10 years ago. They couldn't really do anything with the bias-ply tire sizes, so they agreed to install what I had purchased. I had done all the math, so the new tires were as close to exact as humanly possible, but they didn't know how to verify. Lol.

OT, but I really miss that little car. 2.0 auto, but really fairly peppy if you wound it up and shifted manually. Rebuilt the head with a performance valve seat job and new valves and springs, used a fairly hot cam ordered direct from the UK, a brand new Weber carb. Would keep up with traffic on the interstate to about 75 mph (where the 3 apd auto pretty much topped out). Daily drove it 40+ miles each way. Anyway... lol

There may be a company-wide policy at Walmart that waives the "must match sticker" rule for anything old enough to have originally come equipped with bias plies, idk.
A lot of major tire stored do this...not just walmart...I see also where they will not install a different speed rating tire then what the sticker says on the door...

A lot of major tire stored do this...not just walmart...I see also where they will not install a different speed rating tire then what the sticker says on the door...
Right, I'm very aware. We were, however, discussing Walmart in this instance. Lol 🙂 They're strict about pretty much all the specs on a tire, even if the tire in question far surpasses the original spec. Silly as it may seem, though, ultimately they're protecting themselves from liability, and folks that don't know tires from themselves. Haha

Right, I'm very aware. We were, however, discussing Walmart in this instance. Lol 🙂 They're strict about pretty much all the specs on a tire, even if the tire in question far surpasses the original spec. Silly as it may seem, though, ultimately they're protecting themselves from liability, and folks that don't know tires from themselves. Haha
as is a lot of other tire stores doing the same....

Have bought many tires from Walmart, but their service department seems to be universally understaffed and poorly managed. I have limited myself to only buy tires but go somewhere else for installation.
I have both very bad and very good experience at WM. Depends on the store...

I purchase my name brand tires from Walmart. I give the installer my 80# toque stick. Walmart has a full set of torque sticks ready to use.
The installer then understand what I expect. I also tip them $10 if they do a good job in front of me. Ed

Reactions: hrv
I know I was very disappointed in multiple purchases of Goodyear tires from Walmart but I don’t remember if they were exclusive to Walmart or not. A kind of Wrangler I put on my Jeep and I believe Viva all seasons for my sons car.
Typical "Good for a year" tires lol.

I haven't been impressed with Goodyear. It seems they either sell bottom of the barrel tires that come OE on many cars and last 15k miles and have horrible traction, or they have a good tire like the Duratrac that is priced $100 more than its competition.

Why are you pushing so hard to include non-Walmart tire places in a thread whose topic is clearly stated to be Walmart? Silliness! Lol
No it is the norm at most MAJOR tire places...They dont want to be sued...Nothing special that Walmart is just doing it...

I usually prefer to go to a "tire shop" instead of WM b/c they'll usually include free tire rotation & balancing. I have bought WM tires though & their $10-12 per tire life tire/balance too though.

I just ordered my third set of tires from WMT. I bought tires from them for my E-150, my father's Subaru, and now my wife's 08 Liberty. In all three cases the price was the best I could find, and I had no problems so far. I'm hoping this purchase will be the same as the prior two.

I have purchased tires from Walmart, big savings over tire shop. But I take to dealer for installation and balance. Dealer cheaper than WM for installation & balance, $75 and had ccoupon for $25 off service $50 plus tax.

It depends, as you say, there are Walmart exclusive tires but there are also mainstream ones that make financial sense to order through WM just like you would Amazon.

WM seems to get "captive store name" tires which are then-current designs supplanted by something newer. So they're, in effect, a previous generation. You could, at one time, get "Goodyear Wranglers" in 235-75-15 while tire stores sold "Wrangler (suffix)."

Walmart has been my go-to for the last several sets of tires, and I've been quite happy. Got to watch them for sales. Incidentally, I was just browsing, and Goodyear Reliants have a cheaper price coming Nov 8, kind of an odd marketing strategy.
Seeing this deal and very tempting: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear...16-91V-All-Season-Tire/438414141?athbdg=L1800

Is that what you are referring to? Thx

Back