tire rack.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought 4 bridgestone duelers mted and bal on mag wheels for 1000$ the tires alone cost (mounted and bal on my old wheels) 800$ locally. they called to confirm order ,called when shipped and called to confirm delivery! A FIRST CLASS OPERATION. i paid with paypals bill me later got 6 mon no interest.

I've bought at least 5 sets of tires from those guys, and quite a few sets of brake pads/rotors.

Your experience mirrors mine, that's why I keep going back...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
and quite a few sets of brake pads/rotors.

Just curious if you're buying Hawk and your experience with them.

I have had good success with TR(tires/brakes) but, I can't say that they phoned nor emailed me to confirm anything but my original order was shipped. I'm not complaining! So, I guess that I would rate them high in a survey.

Also, I have been having good success with other online tire, auto parts & home shopping sources as well though, nothing in the way of the personal contact(phone/email).

I all cases, I am able to track my order and should I have any issues, costomer servive is very good/excellent in all situations.

No question imo, TR is best place to research tires prior to purchase. That said, I have Discount Tire b&m stores nearby and they match or beat TR's shipped price, and then follow that with an excellent installation and service after the sale experience.

If I didn't have DT nearby, it would likely be between TR and Discount Tire Direct for my business. But, I'm very glad to have DT nearby and all benefits that includes.

I have looked into Tire Rack for tires, but don't see the economy many tout. Yes, they are cheaper to buy and get installed, but periodic rotations are not included. For people who have their tires rotated every 7500 miles at at least $20 per, buying locally seems to come out on top.

Originally Posted By: TTK
I have looked into Tire Rack for tires, but don't see the economy many tout. Yes, they are cheaper to buy and get installed, but periodic rotations are not included. For people who have their tires rotated every 7500 miles at at least $20 per, buying locally seems to come out on top.

Not necessarily. Our shop is one of their "recommended installers" where customers ship their wheels/tires to us and have us mount them. They are usually charged a one time install/balance fee. However, if they do so wish to , for a small bump in price they can upgrade themselves to the lifetime rotation and balancing , allowing the shop to keep up with the tire maintainence for the cust.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
No question imo, TR is best place to research tires prior to purchase. That said, I have Discount Tire b&m stores nearby and they match or beat TR's shipped price, and then follow that with an excellent installation and service after the sale experience.

If I didn't have DT nearby, it would likely be between TR and Discount Tire Direct for my business. But, I'm very glad to have DT nearby and all benefits that includes.

+1 - this works well for me too. DT will match TR and having local service is a huge plus. I scored some new wheels from DTD for my Brute Force for a song and a dance with the promotion/instant rebate/MIR they were offering.

With that said, Tire Rack is a great research resource and a great place to do business if there are no local DT stores around.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Yeah, I pretty much use them for research and price matching as well. Local tire retailers here will beat the tire + shipping cost from TR by 5-10%( varies from place to place )and most offer free rotations and some even free M&B and/or road hazzard as well. Just makes me more comfortable dealing local like that when possible.

Last edited:
tirerack IS pretty awesome, but I still compare to the local guy. when I got my continental DWS's, my local guy was actually a few dollars cheaper, AND I get lifetime rotations and balancing. they do my oil change at the same time so it's all very convenient.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
tirerack IS pretty awesome, but I still compare to the local guy. when I got my continental DWS's, my local guy was actually a few dollars cheaper, AND I get lifetime rotations and balancing. they do my oil change at the same time so it's all very convenient.

local is better.
what happens when u buy 4 slightly uncommon tires and maybe one is just a little hard to balance or takes a huge balance weight -indicating a tire problem? My costco people will get another tire out of inventory.
the person who carried in the 4 tires from TR is out of luck cause there is NO replacement tire for them, the bad tire gets mounted and balanced (only option is ship it back wait a week and return to the installer). wake up people. you are buying a finished product when u buy a mounted tire. I am not in tire biz

Last edited:
The Super W*M that I bring in my own tires and have these tires installed for ~ $15/tire, W*M will rotate and rebalance for life of the tires. I think that you can even pay extra money upfront for Flat Repair but, I'm not sure about that! In that ~$15/tire is included:

*Mounting/balancing w/new valve stems

*The tech cleans/sands the inside rim edge and applies a sealer/goop along that edge/bead(nice for aluminum wheels)

*Lifetime balance/rotation

*Torque lugs nuts to spec(I've checked their work when I got home...It's right on)

*FREE disposal of your old tires(other places in my area may charge for this)

This is what makes buying tires online, the BIG DEAL! I often rotate my own tires druing a brake inspection or some other reason but, if I need tires "rebalanced", I'll have W*M rotate the tires as well. Walmart* does a nice job!

Last edited:
I absolutely concur with you. For buying wheels AND tires it is a great deal and good service. Hard to beat locally. They do not charge for mounting as it obviously makes shipping easier/cheaper for them.

When it comes to tires only good to call local as the mounting costs you get burned as tire shops want to make a profit since they have no tires to mark up on.

After factoring in shipping costs from Tire Rack, Discount Tire was the same price as them when I bought my BF Goodrich Long Trail Touring tires. With Discount I get free rotations, free re-balancing if needed, and free flat tire repair all at a store 2 miles from my house. I will say Tire Rack's website is a great place to research tires.

I like their site - especially the use of the surveys & reviews since I'm not all that spiffy when it comes to tires. I don't totally depend on it, but use it in combination of other sites such as DT, and BITOG etc.

I use Tirerack.com for research then find the best price on the net, print out the price list the go to Discount Tire for price match.

That way I get the tires I like at the lowest price possible and great services from DT.

I have looked into Tire Rack for tires, but don't see the economy many tout. Yes, they are cheaper to buy and get installed, but periodic rotations are not included.

At many places rotations are included when you have the tires mounted.

I recently bought Hankook H727 for $300 shipped after rebate from DTD. I had them mounted/balanced for $80 after tax. So total, I paid $380. The local store that carries Hankook wanted $650 installed for the H727, so I saved nearly $300.

And yes, my mounting/balancing included lifetime rotate and balance. I've already had them R&B once for free.

The economy was definitely there for me. This is the second set of tires I've bought online.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I have looked into Tire Rack for tires, but don't see the economy many tout. Yes, they are cheaper to buy and get installed, but periodic rotations are not included.

I recently bought Hankook H727 for $300 shipped after rebate from DTD. I had them mounted/balanced for $80 after tax. So total, I paid $380. The local store that carries Hankook wanted $650 installed for the H727, so I saved nearly $300.

And yes, my mounting/balancing included lifetime rotate and balance. I've already had them R&B once for free.

The economy was definitely there for me. This is the second set of tires I've bought online.

NIIIIICCE!
I paid a little more than you for my H727(after rebate) but less for the installation. And I still saved ~ $200 compared to what I could have got'em(purchaced/installed) localy

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

NIIIIICCE!
I paid a little more than you for my H727(after rebate) but less for the installation. And I still saved ~ $200 compared to what I could have got'em(purchaced/installed) localy

The Rack is good for having almost any size tire in many brands the local "Town Square" guys don' t have, or have only in some strange off brand "just as good as". They also have good buys on alloy wheels.

BTW a place called "Tirebuyers.com is worth checking out. They carry almost anything. No bigtime information section, though. They have a deal with local installers. Free shipping to the installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back