Time Warner Cable customers, got a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comments I see on many forums / boards etc, about ISPs throttling speeds and somehow "taking revenge" if you use your own modem and not theirs...
- or that technical support will be a lot less supportive and they sort of ignore you etc etc

....is there ANY truth to this?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
The comments I see on many forums / boards etc, about ISPs throttling speeds and somehow "taking revenge" if you use your own modem and not theirs...
- or that technical support will be a lot less supportive and they sort of ignore you etc etc

....is there ANY truth to this?

Not in my experience there isn't. At least not with TWC.

My modem has a backdoor for TWC to get into to see the Signal/Noise ratio and some other stuff.

It's my understanding of cable modemry that the modem *is* the throttle, as the last mile through your neighborhood is pretty "dumb". Though a user can hack and uncap their modem, the ISP will find out pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my comcast modem dies about every 11 months- sound starts cutting out for 3 seconds

I think something is wrong with your voltage in the house

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my comcast modem dies about every 11 months- sound starts cutting out for 3 seconds

I think something is wrong with your voltage in the house

Yeah, I'd be curious to know what signal levels you have going to your modem Edward. You can see the numbers by going to 192.168.100.1 in your web browser. The power and snr will go up and down a little bit based on outside temperature as well. Here's my numbers right now which aren't great, but good enough. The modem is centrally located inside my home, hooked up to the one and only outlet in my home still using rg59. One of these days I'll try to rewire it with rg6, but it's good enough for now.

For upto 30mbit service the motorola 6121 is fine.

If you plan on 50mb or faster service get the 6141 or 6183

if your SNR and power levels are very close across all channels it means you have good wiring. If arent.. you might have old wiring not meant for internet service ( think old condo wiring in walls)
or a bad splitter.

Here is a good example from my motorola 6183
6183.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back