Time for new brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bepperb
You'll like the Akebono pads especially on that car. The dealer "genuine" pads aren't going to be the exact same ones used on the assembly line in Japan in 2002, they're just going to meet the OEM specs like the pads you bought probably do.

They may be updated for the better.

How will pads meet or exceed OE specs, if the pad makers did not have the specs to begin with? Also, how can we be sure aftermarket pads meet or exceed OE specs, if the pads are not field tested extensively in each application, like OE pads are?

The Lexus OEM pads may be the best pads in the history of the universe, I don't know. I don't even own an IS300. All I can say is that in my experience, which have been 3 Hondas (2 Accords, 1 Civic) the Akebono Pro ACT have been wildly better than OEM. The brake dust was a huge problem on the 01 Accord and 03 Civic which was lessened with them, but also modulation/feel was much improved. Unfortunately I sold both cars before the second set of pads wore out.

I don't live under the premise that OEM brake pads are some magical thing with secret technology and specifications that the aftermarket could never reproduce (or improve upon) because that has been the exact opposite of what I have seen. Our Highlander's OEM brakes were recalled, replaced with even worse pads by Toyota and some 50 buck a set Monroes run circles around them.

My two cents from my background. Yours may vary.

FWIW, on every new car we've ever had, the OEM pads outlasted any replacements I've ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back