Thinking rod knock, flex plate and/or TC, you say

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ PRELIMINARY UPDATE, : THE MANUAL UPSHIFT/DOWNSHIFT DUKES OF HAZZARD STYLE DRIVING HAS REDUCED, BUT NOT ELIMINATED, THE NOISE!!!!

???

I also heard a "whistle" under that last full-throttle acceleration.. Exhaust plugged? Needs cleaned out more, ITU? ...

No overheating, and transmission is strong, just this truck has sat for months.

VIDEO!
(and no, I do NOT know why its sideways. next one wont be.)
Gotta see what video this is of..

^^ OK. The video is the FIRST one.. I got it now. This was the BEGINNING of the trip. That was sound at beginning...
below....

Last edited:
^^^ The one with PROPER VIDEO ANGLE and AFTER 30 MINUTES OF DRIVING like Dukes Of Hazzard manual up/down, complete with "gear down" or "gear brake" demonstration, is... HERE!!!

The demonstration was done with the foot off the gas.

I havn't watched the video yet but how much do you have in this truck, if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I havn't watched the video yet but how much do you have in this truck, if you don't mind me asking?

Married to it. For sure. I held off on a number because it's embarrasing, so, the only thing left to do..
.. is love this truck.
That is the only option and I DO want to get her perfect.

The non-sideways second video, I do the OC-D-2-1 midway through.. then back up to D then OD. I heard a "whistling" noise at WOT sounded like exhaust too, maybe the exhaust is clearing out??

I will check my Sharpie mark, but the sideways video is at beginning of journey..
.. and the one above your post satinsilver is 5 minutes from home.

The noise has not gone away. Just gets quieter when hot.

And this is first time truck stretched its legs in months.... No leaks..

Gotta change that oil and filter........................

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Wasn't the engine just installed, you mentioned you pulled the pan. Did you just clean the pan, replace the filter and fill it up ?. Any look under the valve covers ?

From what I could see in the photos you posted the body of the donor truck didn't look bad, that would make me think it was scrapped for the engine/trans. I think I would make sure that engine is sound first.

And that whistle sound, if you still have the c-clamp on the exhaust manifold I would start there first. Go back to the yard and have them give you a new manifold and show them how the sawed the old one off

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmorr

Wasn't the engine just installed, you mentioned you pulled the pan. Did you just clean the pan, replace the filter and fill it up ?. Any look under the valve covers ?

From what I could see in the photos you posted the body of the donor truck didn't look bad, that would make me think it was scrapped for the engine/trans. I think I would make sure that engine is sound first.

And that whistle sound, if you still have the c-clamp on the exhaust manifold I would start there first. Go back to the yard and have them give you a new manifold and show them how the sawed the old one off

Spot on.

The sound has changed. For the better. Quieter.

Thinking exhaust.

Going to change to Supertech by WPP (Warren) 10W-40 and new filter Purolator L24011 for ride from Penndel PA back to NJ.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Why do you feel the converter needs cleaned out?

I don't think I've ever come across someone so willing to pour junk into their oil and gas before....you said it was running and shifting smoothly. Leave it alone and concentrate on finding/resolving the noise.

He doesn't know how to leave anything alone. That's also why he spent more money on oil (Redline) than the car was worth on the previous Volvo
crazy2.gif

I am driving home and I noticed that the driver's side valve cover appears to have gotten hot enough to have smoke or steam rise from it. It disappeared shortly after turning the car off and I am sitting here with the hood up waiting for it to cool.

Really thinking exhaust, as I'd noticed a stumble and light difficulty keeping speed.

Will report back, it seems to have cooledl enough.

I am driving home and I noticed that the driver's side valve cover appears to have gotten hot enough to have smoke

Isn't that the side with the butchered exhaust manifold and a c-clamp holding it on. If that's leaking your going to have hot exhaust gasses.

Said it a couple of times, get the scrapper to give you a new one (should be n/c if he used a sawzall to pull the engine) and get that addressed ASAP). If you dont you're going to be addressing plug wires, and a whole lot more

Originally Posted By: cmorr
I am driving home and I noticed that the driver's side valve cover appears to have gotten hot enough to have smoke

Isn't that the side with the butchered exhaust manifold and a c-clamp holding it on. If that's leaking your going to have hot exhaust gasses.

Said it a couple of times, get the scrapper to give you a new one (should be n/c if he used a sawzall to pull the engine) and get that addressed ASAP). If you dont you're going to be addressing plug wires, and a whole lot more

we are in agreement and the scrapper was in Collingdale

Now filling up $40 regular (87) octane, $3.29 gallon.

Car runs great, narrowed down prime suspect: DRIVER SIDE EXHAUST

Videos show how improved it is. Lets see if noisy next cold start.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's plausible the heat expansion is doing something to seal it off.

Thinking that.. Its weird. it cooled, and it ran perfect like 90% of the way home, and then almost felt like it was low on transmission fluid the other 10%. Weird weird weird. And the temp gauge got sent I bar into the 2 blinking bar zone three times.. turning heater on made it back down. And at times it was at 200.

Is something backing up?? ...

Oh, and at 10W-40 WPP Supertech, it never had less than 4 bars. Minimum, hot idle, never blinked.. my engine likes a 40??? (30 it would blink 2 bars in the 2 blinking bar on digital gauge light for low OP.)

Here is what it ultimately gets down to, that changing noise.

I hear scraping noises when turning wheel at slow speeds, like sliding a dinner plate across a table.

..... great run today. I only let it cool one time... Drove normally the rest...

Maybe its unclogging itself like a constipated man....

Those videos. CHECK OUT HOW IT SOUNDED JUST BEFORE CONCLUDING THE FIRST HALF OF TRIP.

Video 1. ON ROAD. (shocked at how QUIET it got.)

Video 2! Running, in a lot.. Again.. quiet!

Let us [censored] what this all means. What is everyone thinking? Going to bed.

Oh, and I'd put my Veyron chase video up, but I'd have to bleep out one word. So here are pics
smile.gif

(3 out of 6)

1267004_558357167564167_707687954_o.jpg

1274419_558357150897502_2005468314_o.jpg

1271271_558357037564180_1716066221_o.jpg

*also will tighten up the negative post on side-post battery today. Had the proper nut removed; not tight grounding. That could have had something to do with stumbling accel, maybe.

That, bottle of fuel system cleaner (one bottle SI-1 to full tank as per instructions, or maybe just 1/5th bottle, am unclear) and we will see today if better grounding helps it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's plausible the heat expansion is doing something to seal it off.

Those videos. CHECK OUT HOW IT SOUNDED JUST BEFORE CONCLUDING THE FIRST HALF OF TRIP.

Video 1. ON ROAD. (shocked at how QUIET it got.)

Video 2! Running, in a lot.. Again.. quiet!

Also going to get the DecCool out today. Might be causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back