Thinking rod knock, flex plate and/or TC, you say

Status
Not open for further replies.
The short version:

- 93 S-10 with 4.3
*Important notes, possibly relevant: Engine is from MY1994
Oil pan SWAPPED, not sure why or if it should have been, but it was, from a motor that sounded horrible
Drove it yesterday, engine behaves perfectly, pulls strong, has oil pressure

- Torque Converter has a shiny spot on it (I can produce this video for you to see)

- Trans fluid is full, pretty sure

- Changed engine oil to listen for change in sound, did not hear one.

- No metal flakes in engine oil.

What say you?

*Here is the video showing the shiny spot, and under the truck.

** In this video, you can hear the "grating noise" when it starts up.

? ?

K so am I new or is there no bell housing.
And ght that engine sounds.........like something is wrong. Like a funny tap or something.
It sounds to me like metal hitting metal kinda.
Anyways glad to have ya back bud,sorry I didn't have much to offer.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: Clevy
K so am I new or is there no bell housing.
And ght that engine sounds.........like something is wrong. Like a funny tap or something.
It sounds to me like metal hitting metal kinda.
Anyways glad to have ya back bud,sorry I didn't have much to offer.

Good luck

The pleasure is all mine. I missed this place.
10.gif

The thing is, the noise DOES sound hollow.. The timing is now dead-on; it wasnt in previous engines in this thing.
The worst luck.

I believe I may be asking about how pricey it would be for a shop (I know a cheaper one) to drop the back of the engine/front of trans a little bit to see if my flex plate is cracked around the bolts, maybe see if that is the issue? It does sound hollow-y and the grating noise in the lowest video in the post to me screams "TRANSMISSION." Sure, maybe something is tapping on a wrong oil pan, but I drove it for some hours back home and again yesterday, the engine is strong and has pressure............

Yeah. I guess hollow describes it.
Dunno man but don't go spending a pile of money.
diagnose then fix.
And forget flushes and drain and fills and whatever else until you know its gonna last longer than a week.
Once you are ABSOLUTELY sure its gonna go the distance THEN start experimenting.

Does this have a nice big sheet metal plate between the engine and trans? If that got a little dent in it during the engine transplant it might be getting rubbed by one of the torque converter bolts. That would make just the sort of noise you're hearing.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Does this have a nice big sheet metal plate between the engine and trans? If that got a little dent in it during the engine transplant it might be getting rubbed by one of the torque converter bolts. That would make just the sort of noise you're hearing.

Yuuuup, it sure does! And the truck fell off its ramp stands during engine install. Very rushed. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I think you are right on the money.
thumbsup2.gif

Now, may I ask.. How does this sort of thing get remedied? Do I replace the TC? Or.. what is the repair to solve the problem?

+1

If it is what I think it is, crank the engone over by hand (key is out of the ignition) and note any TC bolts that are shiny. If there are none, you can safely assume that my guess is wrong.

If you have a shiny bolt, temporarily replace it with one that has a deeper head so it'll hit the plate harder and make the noise louder. Spent the extra dollar for a harder bolt rather than a softer bolt. Drive around for a couple of hours or until the noise gets a little quieter so it grinds a nice hole in your dented plate. Put the old bolt back in. I'm not sure this will work but it's easy enough that it should be worth a shot.

Alternatively, you could pull the trans out, look around, and then correct the issue that way. That's a bit more work though.

Last edited:
If it is what I think it is, crank the engone over by hand (key is out of the ignition) and note any TC bolts that are shiny. If there are none, you can safely assume that my guess is wrong.

If you have a shiny bolt, temporarily replace it with one that has a deeper head so it'll hit the plate harder and make the noise louder. Spent the extra dollar for a harder bolt rather than a softer bolt. Drive around for a couple of hours or until the noise gets a little quieter so it grinds a nice hole in your dented plate. Put the old bolt back in. I'm not sure this will work but it's easy enough that it should be worth a shot.

Alternatively, you could pull the trans out, look around, and then correct the issue that way. That's a bit more work though.

There is a shiny spot on the TC itself! Shall I start by looking around there, ?

Ill get my flashlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FFFjjuqSCH4

*gonna go look

Quote:
*gonna go look

Ok. I just went out, and crawled up under there, to see what I could see. Never actually did that until just now. And I know these things are basic and elementary to you all, but this is what I saw...

I can't take pictures, but I saw some small shiny spots. I see that the engine oil pan is right in front of the torque converter. Directly behind the torque converter is the transmission oil pan. No leaking from anywhere. I looked up and saw bolts on the TC and also the flex plate - ok, torque converter behind flex plate, and in front of the flex plate is the engine oil pan; all in the bellhousing, which is open and appeared to be missing bolts, two near the bottom.. I saw a small shiny spot on a part of the flex plate that looked almost like a brake pad. These are just my preliminary findings.

AFAICT, the exhaust is not touching the frame, at least around there it is not.

The C-clamp is sill on the driver side exhaust manifold.

And, dumb question: That noise is not the catalytic converter, is it?

I will have to turn the engine over by hand (how?) and also look more, with flashlight and with truck up on stands, to see more, and get the shiny bolt. To narrow down suspects.

At the front of the engine there is a pulley bolted directly to the crank. This is the pig pulley that turns the belt. It has a big bolt in the middle. Turn that with a ratchet and socket.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
So you're working on the S-10 again...what happened to the Taurus? A lot of us were invested in that car...

Yes, on the Taurus (no longer in the Sig,) I learned to never sell someone a car with the promise that they will come back with the other half tomorrow.
mad.gif

I was able to change the cracked grill when the engine was out, I chose to do a black-out. Came out wonderfully. Now I need to get the noise gone; it is almost there, this vehicle. I really appreciate the tips about how to check the TC bolts, too. I will be able to do this soon.. Car runs and drives fine, just that noise! Engine pulls strong, everything. Old engine is still in the back, the one with the gasket and head issues.

1116046_539480319451852_2001149238_o.jpg

1119793_539480619451822_1400269150_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Yes, on the Taurus (no longer in the Sig,) I learned to never sell someone a car with the promise that they will come back with the other half tomorrow. :angry:

picard-facepalm.jpg

PS that's actually a pretty nice blazer vs those up here. Little rust, shiny paint.

In the video where you drive around the block it sounds like an old 2-stroke detroit!
I would assume it's a rod knocking. If it were something rubbing/hitting the torque converter the sound would be changing as the material is broken or worn away. It's still just as sharp and loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back