What oil and filter for 2017 5.3L Sierra?

I haven't done oil changes in a long time due to free dealership oil changes. Now that I have a truck that I've kept past that point, 2017 sierra 5.3, I'm seeing a total shift in products recommended. Is pennzoil ultra platinum still good stuff. The filters seem to be even more contested. Fram used to be garbage and now I see tons of people recommending them. Last gas engine oil filters I used were purolator (mann Hummel - wix, napa, purolator) but they seem to have gone to garbage. So I looked up baldwin as thats what I use in diesels and I don't see many positive remarks for them on gas engines. What's the go to filters now?

Welcome back :D

There's nothing wrong with PUP or any d1g3 oil for your Sierra.

Wix got cheapened out once Mann bought them and consolidated Wix to the Purolator design. It's so bad that Napa switched suppliers and now uses Premium Guard for many of their filters :sneaky:

Fram, AC Delco, Champ, or even the offshore filters.

Welcome back :D

There's nothing wrong with PUP or any d1g3 oil for your Sierra.

Wix got cheapened out once Mann bought them and consolidated Wix to the Purolator design. It's so bad that Napa switched suppliers and now uses Premium Guard for many of their filters :sneaky:

Fram, AC Delco, Champ, or even the offshore filters.
Ac delco? I know they once were good and then they went to crap. Have they changed in the last 4 years?

The paper cap filters aren't bad until they tear which is rare. I'm using the wire backed fram endurance for 2 and maybe 3 runs with Quaker state euro 5w-40 and I'm still under the factory b2b and pt warranty on my 2021. I have zero fears. I'd do the same or similar if that truck was mine.

Since the GM dealership (default) AC Delco oil filters did not ruffle your feathers, then stay with the OEM Brand. They are not expensive and work just fine for whatever length of OCIs you were doing.

Any name brand oil protects your engine. Just find one on sale, prior to your next oil change. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is hard to find and when you do find it, it's not at a bargain price. Walmart.com (online) sells it and all it takes to get it shipped to your front door free is a $35 order ...before taxes.

Excuse me for asking...... how did you get 5-6 years of free oil changes from the dealership? I'm assuming 2 per year? Most need that many every year.

Ac delco? I know they once were good and then they went to crap. Have they changed in the last 4 years?
So in my L8T and my LS stuff I just run plain old Mobil 1 and AC/Delco filters. The L8T is basically a large 5.3. I will on the occasion run Wix filters.

NAPA changing suppliers for many filters but more so a business decision. Premium Guard has aggressively pushed into the U.S. market and likely much cheaper to obtain. PG/Ecogards are some of the cheapest (money wise) on the market, likely because they are not only made in China/Vietnam because of a business strategy to get into the U.S. Market. Premium Guard provides oil filters for O'Reilly, AutoZone, Advance Auto, and Napa house brands. That said, everything has shown that they are quality built (and arguably better than many name brand) seen lately.

Overall, the major brands are still generally good, but it's also a crap shoot too with quality control and design with all the brand buyouts and consolidations. Without going into every name brand, the general statement can be said that not all Frams are Fram designs, not all Wix's are Wix designs, not all house brands are from one supplier, not all [insert brand] are made in U.S. or any particular country, not all [insert brand] will have the same efficiency ratings, etc. This may vary by a particular application.

By some, their definition of "garbage" will qualify most filters based on any particular design, cut open filter posts, efficiency, manufacture locations, price, etc. I can't think of any oil filter that checks all the boxes, if there was ever one. Best options are OEM or IMO, the closest current filter that checks most of the boxes will be Fram Endurance or Premium Guard Extended Life.

I still like Wix XP and something has changed…model # is 5 digits and number of flutes increased. I used AC Delco PF63s until they went to the E variant

I don't think Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has fallen out of favor so much as it's harder to recommend or use when it's not regularly stocked at Walmart which seems to be the most popular place for all of us to buy oil.

It's hard to find a well made oil filter right now. I switched to Denso as their construction is still really nice (basically still made how other filters used to be). I'm not sure if Denso makes them in-house or if they're supplied by an outside company, but I really like them.

Personally I think the Premium Guard made house brand filters are the best value and quality overall. Due to it being convenient for me I'd go with MicroGard Select but any of the competitors whose filters are the same except for the color of the can, label, or box, would be a good choice.

Going with the OEM filter would be a fine choice too.

Based on what we've seen from Wix I don't think they're all that great anymore and definitely not worth the premium price they command.

For oil, a reasonable OCI of whatever brand of Dexos1 approved oil for your vehicle will lead to a long service life and when it dies, it won't be related to the oil. I don't think you can really go wrong with any brand. I usually use the O'Reilly brand oil in everything, but again that's a matter of convenience. You can do better on price on Costco's Kirkland brand, Walmart Supertech, etc.

Of course if you prefer "brand name" Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, all make a good product. Sure, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is probably a fine product too, or you could go boutique with AMSOIL or HPL, but at the manufacturer-recommended OCIs I don't think this delivers any benefit. You're more likely to total the truck or have the transmission blow up or something than having an engine issue that would have been prevented by spending more on oil.

Hope you find this helpful and enjoy your truck!

Nothing wrong with AC Delco filters

IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

Fram is all I can find locally here for the VW. I see NAPA can get the Mann filters if I order them. I may just do that. They're nearly the same price and while I don't see a problem with the Fram the Mann is the OEM filter for the car apparently.

Stick with the delco they gave you no headache all along. Super techs are equally as good even some of your Chinese filters have upped their game like a micro or ecogard. As for oil can’t go wrong with anything carrying the dexos rating.

Since the GM dealership (default) AC Delco oil filters did not ruffle your feathers, then stay with the OEM Brand. They are not expensive and work just fine for whatever length of OCIs you were doing.

Any name brand oil protects your engine. Just find one on sale, prior to your next oil change. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is hard to find and when you do find it, it's not at a bargain price. Walmart.com (online) sells it and all it takes to get it shipped to your front door free is a $35 order ...before taxes.

Excuse me for asking...... how did you get 5-6 years of free oil changes from the dealership? I'm assuming 2 per year? Most need that many every year.
Walmart has the pup for 29.44 for 5qts or regular Plat for 23.78 for 5qts. Both shipped free by Saturday. Penzoil has $25 off when you buy 2.

I just got 2 jugs of PUP 0W-20 at Amazon under $30 each. They price match Walmart when they have them in stock. I used to buy AC Delco oil filters until they got cheap looking about 5 or more years ago. Do GM dealers use the same oil filter you buy at Walmart or is there another one?

I don't think Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has fallen out of favor so much as it's harder to recommend or use when it's not regularly stocked at Walmart which seems to be the most popular place for all of us to buy oil.
I’ve never seen Pennzoil Ultra stocked on Walmart shelves, but Ultra is on sale online (Walmart and Amazon) for between $27.48 (Amazon) and $29.50 (Walmart), which is a far cry from the prices I was seeing it at last year (around $37 if I remember). I just picked up two jugs.

Back