The typical BITOG "what oil" thread-a satire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left out someone telling the OP the only way to really know is to have samples analyzed and watch for trends.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1941418&page=1

This was the best played set of BITOG parodies ever.

(In tears) Watching it again!
crackmeup2.gif

(Drew we need more of these! Just watched all three and crying)

OMG! I just watched these for the 1st time and am in tears from laughing so hard. The BITOG3 character that kept dancing was frickin' hilarious. We need more of these.
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

fdgc27, can you please go to the Oil Filter Forum and type one up like this about oil filters?
And, please feel free to rake me over the coals as much as you want about my "One Filter, One OCI" quote all you want.
We need this just as much there as it is here.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Please note that any resemblance to actual members in the thread below is entirely intentional and is intended in a spirit of lighthearted entertainment, without any malice on my part.

The thread begins with some newbie or troll asking what oil he should use in his car, with the car in question ranging from a tracked 911 SC to some end of life beater.
The fun then ensues.
There is a member who will post that the choice of oil really doesn't matter, but that a Fram orange can oil filter must be used. This is especially amusing for those cars that don't use canister filters.
Another member will post that M1 on 10K intervals is all you need to know.
Yet another member will invariably begin his post with either "In the M5..." or "In my old Mustang...", never mind that the car in question is a four cylinder Asian sedan.
Someone else will say that GC should be used in any application.
Someone will then reply that Syntec 0W-40 is the better oil.
Another party will then recommend M1 0W-40.
A brand war might then ensue, with various member recommending MSS, PP, PU, VR1, along with just about every other PCMO or HDEO you know of, along with some you've never heard of.
Someone is sure to post that he sees 20% better fuel economy using (insert oil brand here).
Someone else is certain to post that (insert brand of oil here) causes sludge.
Someone else will then chime in that (insert oil brand here) is unsurpassed as a cleaner, after all, it says so in the promos.
Someone else will then insert a plug for MMO or ARX or Kreen or Seafoam or some other additive.
A certain member is sure to post something about all of these oils being too thick, and that a high VI twenty grade is probably sufficient.
If we get really lucky, a wealthy plastic surgeon will post that he finds twenty grades perfectly adequate for his Italian fantasy cars.
The thread may now veer off in a thick versus thin direction, with a certain member noting that the engine in question is speced for forty grade oil in Germany, so this must be the correct grade.
Someone will then continue to beat this dead horse by replying about the good performance of twenty grade oils over the past decade in countless Fords and Hondas.
Someone will then post that all of those Fords and Hondas are heavy oil consumers.
Someone will then post that they aren't.
We will probably then see a dino versus syn debate, with many on both sides making absurd arguments.
There is a mod who will make rational arguments in favor of dino, based upon real data.
He'll be dissed and dismissed by the syn true believers, even though he has data to show that synthetic oils are not any better in protecting the engines that 99% of us use.
Someone (probably me) will post that if you maintain a stash of near FAR oils, synthetic is cheaper to use.
We could also see a classic OCI drift in the thread, with proponents of everything from 3K to 10K drains putting their two cents in.
This will likely lead to a debate of the reliability of OLMs and how early the FF should be changed. No conclusive result will be reached either way.
At the end of the day, most of us will have done little more than vent our prejudices.
Or did we share our experiences?
The OP will likely have learned little of value to him, except that whether thick or thin, synthetic or dino, any oil changed at a reasonable interval, or even an unreasonably long one, will work just fine in almost every engine almost all of the time.
I guess that does have some value after all.
This is a really entertaining and educational site.

Perhaps if you numbered these lines, we could have a discussion just by listing the numbers:

BITOG'er #1: "1,3, and 16"
BITOG'er #2: Oh yeah, well what about 8, 13, and 25?"

This would save a lot of typing.

There are so many more examples you could have made but it would have taken up too many pages.
grin.gif

Here's a good one that I am guilty of because it's true;
"You better use 5W20 because that is the oil spec'd for your engine. If not, it will blow up, throw a rod, leave you stranded on the side of the road, YADA, YADA, YADA!"
Sure, I agree, if under factory warranty you should use what is spec'd, just in case a warranty issue should arise.
But, afterwards, it's all fair game.
Theoretically, if that same engine spec'd for 5W20 today, and was being built 15 years ago, same factory tolerances and clearances then as now, and spec'd 10W30 or 5W30 back then, why not now?
"CAFE"
http://www.cars101.com/cafe.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1941418&page=1

This was the best played set of BITOG parodies ever.

(In tears) Watching it again!
crackmeup2.gif

(Drew we need more of these! Just watched all three and crying)

Needs bumped. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6688781/a-day-in-the-life-of-bob-is-the-oil-guy

lol.gif
lol.gif

tig1 and OVERKILL.
10.gif

btw, this reminds me of the BMW ZHP video. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1789-Frequently-Asked-Questions-%28FAQ%29-About-the-BMW-E46-330-ZHP-Performance-Package-Option

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: jfking106
FUPU.

No need to thank me for coming up with that.
thankyou2.gif

wink.gif

fdgc27, can you please go to the Oil Filter Forum and type one up like this about oil filters?
And, please feel free to rake me over the coals as much as you want about my "One Filter, One OCI" quote all you want.
smile.gif

How about one in the Vehicles forum, with the subject line "which car should I buy"?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
smile.gif

How about one in the Vehicles forum, with the subject line "which car should I buy"?

Do you ever hang out in the Oil Filter forum? You take the post you just made and multiply it by 1K! Get the point?
grin.gif
(No offense intended) It's worse there then this forum.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back