The end for Clarkson / Top Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mulehead
Clarkson is great the smartest person on BBC. Fat men from KAntucky appreciate him

Minor edit.

I'd watch Top Gear without Clarkson. But that's because I like May and Hammond enough that I think they could make it work.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If Mori can come back twice and pat himself on the back with his other ego, Clarkson can return after a weekend sensitivity retreat.

Will he get the Brian Williams "special offer"?

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: aa1986
Apparently he punched someone. 2 more shows have been postponed.

What will happen next? Who knows. But I think this will divide the nation and the UK will never be the same.

Let me put some meat on those bare bones: I don't know if this story is true. It could be just an effort to besmirch Jeremy Clarkson. I will reserve judgement until I have read more about this case from other media sources than the BBC, which I strongly suspect to be an agenda-driven media outlet.

hotwheels
Often these matters are contrived by the "professionally outraged" class who spend their jobless time listening to people like Rush in the hope of finding something they can get "outraged" about it in public.

In our politically correct world the remarks that are made by those that shirk the trend are often held in a more critical light. Thing is Clarkson hasn't changed much in the past 20 years. Perhaps a bit more gruff as he ages, but what was once acceptable humor and behavior is now not so much or even at all. They built Top Gear on that whole character and personality type that is Clarkson and how he interacts with the other two hosts. They bash brand new cars like Ferrari or Benz right out of the factory, people like that type of honesty and tune in because it isn't the usual politically correct puke everyone else does on TV.

Clarkson probably had it out with a fellow worker indeed. Let's be real here, we are not accepting physical violence in the workplace as being ok, because it isn't. But there are A LOT more repulsive things that happen in show biz that people turn a blind eye to. You join that sphere of entertainment and all that goes along with it knowingly when you go into it.

If they can Clarkson, they will try to have the other two hosts run the show, but some appeal will be lost. Clarkson isn't just another faceless Stig, he is a founding member of the Top Gear and it just won't be the same without him no matter who they get to replace him. If Clarkson died, TG would change in the same way, sometimes TV shows just run their course and die off as the world they once thrived in no longer exists in the same way it once did.

Last edited:
Good points, working at a public broadcaster has been good for the show as they don't get swayed by advertising dollars. But I guess as Clarkson has learned, even if you are the star of the show, the limit for "unprofessional" behavior is much lower than at a private business.

Right, but in this case he wasn't suspended for the words coming out of his mouth, he was suspended because he physically attacked someone.

With Clarkson, his charm as a host/journalist makes him prone to saying things that one group or another could easily be offended by. They just have to accept that that's the baggage he carries into the show.

But punching a guy, I can see why any employer might consider that a line that even he shouldn't cross.

What's the appropriate punishment if you or I punched a coworker?

What if a McDonalds employee punched a co-worker?

I think in most cases this is instant dismissal.

He gets "celebrity" punishment
wink.gif

To some, Clarkson is the non PC, anti environmentalist hero, twice previously suspended for innocuous racist remarks by the PC establishment.

So when he punches a male producer who is probably a wimp who should be able to accept being hit, all that talk about victim rights and thugs goes out of the window.

Don't get me wrong, I like watching Top Gear. But it was beginning to get tired and I think Clarkson himself was getting bored with not being able to offend more people.

I would miss Top gear. Especially since the US does not have a single decent car program. People need to remember the BBC are a leftest, PC broadcaster funded by working people forced to pay a license fee or face prosecution.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The best part about Top Gear UK is the interaction between Clarkson, Hammond, and May. The first season without Hammond May was not great, much like the first season of Top Gear USA. TGUSA pales in comparison to TGUK, partially due to the hosts and the balance due to the show not having to appease sponsors.

one Correction. The First Series was Clarkson, Hammond, and a Fat Used Car Salesman...Jason something...
May was introduced in the First episode of the Second Series as "The New Guy", doing a story on owning an older luxury car, vs a similarly Priced contemporary model.

at the time he was living in Central London, and his only car was a Bently T2.

http://youtu.be/S9S3apSDwbQ?t=24m40s

Thanks, I have all the episodes on my computer at home (I miss FinalGear), and it has been a while since I watched an episode from the first series.

US Top Gear would have been awesome with Jay Leno, Adam Carolla or Tim Allen, and either Tommy Kendall or Paul Tracy. Kenny Wallace would have been a good Stig, he was the ringer on "R U Faster than a Redneck"

I've watched the show maybe 20 times in the past few years. It's ok...nothing exceptional.

The "style" of irreverent humor and sarcasm they use has gotten a bit old for me. Most of it is fairly predictable and boring for the most part (my opinion).

Seems to me that with what I've seen in his actions and comments...Clarkson seems to think that he can be as much a tool OFF the shoot as well as on.
Arrogance seems to have gotten the best of him.

I don't take Clarkson's idiotic views seriously, it's just entertainment - to provide an antagonist element to counter May and Hammond. But considering how epically-awful the US and Australian versions of Top Gear are, I hope he returns.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
I don't take Clarkson's idiotic views seriously, it's just entertainment - to provide an antagonist element to counter May and Hammond. But considering how epically-awful the US and Australian versions of Top Gear are, I hope he returns.

I know, the U.S. top gear was mildly entertaining at times, although they didn't have Clarkson's intellectual views. They needed someone with insight and politically incorrect views, instead they hired pure comedians and pretty-boys only for the U.S. version, bad move.

I like TG and Clarkson the few times I've watched it, and think the show would suffer if he left.

I'm also a pretty ant-PC person myself, so I like people who 'tell it like it is' and don't sugar-coat stuff, or not say something bc you 'might' offend someone...I've gotten in trouble for that a bit myself.

All that said, bringing an actual physical assault into the picture changes it. There is rarely reason to actually hit someone, especially if it is 'trivial'...if someone is directly insulting or threatening you, it may be justified, but hitting someone bc a catering error was made? That's harder to rectify without removing the person.

No one should go to work with the fear that making a mistake on the job with out them in physical danger from another person.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
[
I know, the U.S. top gear was mildly entertaining at times, although they didn't have Clarkson's intellectual views. They needed someone with insight and politically incorrect views, instead they hired pure comedians and pretty-boys only for the U.S. version, bad move.

Problem in the USA is too many lawyers and PC tools running the
entertainment industry. The ultra inclusive agenda is sickening but then again look who controls the media industry here.

So when he punches a male producer who is probably a wimp who should be able to accept being hit, all that talk about victim rights and thugs goes out of the window.

Wow. wonder if this post would be allowed if it was against conservatives. So IYO, All liberals are wimps who should be beaten. (because "they should be able to accept being hit"?)

Nice abusive post. Reported to mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the appropriate punishment if you or I punched a coworker?

What if a McDonalds employee punched a co-worker?

I think in most cases this is instant dismissal.

In the old days.
Not so long ago.

The standard approach was to sack both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back