The economical oil change: A modest proposal for a Litmus Test

I like to use the best oil I can obtain. I like the peace of mind knowing I can go longer between changes if need be and maintain a very clean engine. There are times, especially during winter, when changing the oil is a hassle. I prefer to spend the extra money for a more robust product. It's as simple as that for me. Oil is not expensive. Never has been. Of all the things I purchase I'd put oil at the bottom of the list. So oil price is inelastic to me.
how do you know which is more robust, as you put it?

how do you know which is best?
Due to limited data available, the best oil is what I perceive to be the best based on a multitude of variables - history of the brand, testing against industry standard tests, reputation of the blender, transparency of the blender, approvals, components used in the oil and oil analysis.

My favorite OTC brand is Mobil 1.
Boutique brands - HPL and Amsoil.

Opinions may vary.

Euro cars that require expensive oil: the color is BLACK. (I am actually in this camp: losing the game when you buy the car)

How are you losing?

Compare my situation:

1. Toyota Tacoma with ~6 qts 5w30, Denso filter @5k OCI.

2. Vw atlas 6qts 504 0W30 and Mann filter @10k OCI

The cost is very similar every 10k.

Due to limited data available, the best oil is what I perceive to be the best based on a multitude of variables - history of the brand, testing against industry standard tests, reputation of the blender, transparency of the blender, approvals, components used in the oil and oil analysis.

My favorite OTC brand is Mobil 1.
Boutique brands - HPL and Amsoil.

Opinions may vary.
obviously opinions vary.. which explains why I don't use anyone else's and have formed my own that my personal favorite for more than 20 years now is Walmart Supertech synthetic in my cars and whatever diesel engine oil is cheapest for my truck. Lately that has been Delvac 1300 which has had the 5 dollar a gallon rebate twice a year for going on 4 years now. :)

I even went to the extreme of paying for and posting an oil analysis for Delvac 1300 at 17,000 miles..which is posted on this forum.

so basically you don't care to save any money, is my opinion on how you roll, which is fine by me..
I like to save money but don't obsess over saving marginal amounts on what is already an inexpensive commodity product.

There is also the enthusiast side to this where it becomes more of a hobby and experiment.

I generally prefer approved lubricants while under warranty, and will only use boutique brands I know are reputable.

I've used OTC brands at OEM intervals with no hesitation.

Last edited:
I like to save money but don't obsess over saving marginal amounts on what is already an inexpensive commodity product.

lets face facts here, some people have a lifestyle where they just don't care or a dollar here or there doesn't matter
.. others have a more persistent systematic approach to how they save money here and there on a broad basis which adds up over the long haul, and I would agree as I see no point in being frugal on one thing, if I was just to piss it away somewhere else.

lets face facts here, some people have a lifestyle where they just don't care or a dollar here or there doesn't matter
.. others have a more persistent systematic approach to how they save money here and there on a broad basis which adds up over the long haul, and I would agree as I see no point in being frugal on one thing, if I was just to piss it away somewhere else.
Yeah I just don't get overly frugal with products that are already inexpensive. It's not a battle I choose to engage in. Engines are expensive, car repairs are expensive, oil is not. To each their own.

One tank of gas which will last a week exceeds a 5qt jug of Mobil 1. I'm also not vacuuming out my cheap $10 cabin air filter after I just spent time removing my glovebox.

You oil cheapwads need some perspective LOL.
Buying the vehicle vs buying the oil for the vehicle
1699542511491.jpeg

Nothing against those that use the cheapest approved product. I get it. Everyone's spending behavior is different.

I buy whatever based on my mood at the time. Got a few jugs of PP on hand but used some M1 this go around. Couple bucks isn’t really rocking my world. And when I’m feeling extra spendy I like to add bacon to my cheeseburger and eat it with my pinky raised.

I prefer very low priced (but high quality) oil and filters (Meticulous maintenance at a low cost).
I only use the lowest priced full synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 3 approved 5W-30 5 quart jugs.
I use the Fram Extra Guard Filters: $3.50 a filter with Amazon Subscribe and Save, and it's filtering efficiency is 95%@>20 microns.
I like to stock up on the 5 quart jugs of any oil on clearance sales (like the sale Tractor Supply had a while back).

I only buy Walmart store brands for all groceries and any other merchandise I buy. If you practice extreme frugality in all purchase decisions in your life, it frees up thousands of dollars a month for long term savings / investing.

Just used the last of the more or less FAR RGT 0W-20 on an oil change on the HAH.
A syn that meets the undemanding spec of the PI two liter
Combined with a Fram Ultra, maybe spent eight bucks total, maybe less.
This is what the OP meant by frugality versus cheapness,

Back