The economical oil change: A modest proposal for a Litmus Test

Like most of us, I love the oil conversations and the endless debates, but I sometimes feel like price sensitivity is less important to many. i understand that some cars require expensive oils and filters, but wanted to make a suggestion on what you should spend. My assumptions are that you are purchasing five quarts of a synthetic oil, and a spin-on filter. I am assuming that the oil will be either 0 W or 5 Wm and 20, 30, 40 on the other side, and have SP or SN "modernity." With a few exceptions, I bet I am covering 90% of what folks are driving.

Here goes:

If you purchase the oil and filter for under $30, you are a careful consumer and winning this game. You score GREEN.
If you purchase the oil and filter for under $35, but more than $30, you are somewhat consumer and doing okay. You score BLUE.
If you purchase the oil and filter for under $40, but more than $35 you are not trying, or driven by some other criteria . You score YELLOW.
If you purchase the oil and filter for more than $40, you are not really playing the game, or driven by some other criteria. You score RED.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Depends on the vehicle. Our hybrid, I'm blue, as 0W16 is kinda expensive. The others might be green, not sure, just saw that Walmart has a rollback on their oil?

Here's the thing: I lose out as I don't try to score oil when it's 50 cents a quart. I keep a couple of changes in stock but don't go out of my way to "score" on rebates. I'm more apt to buy when needed than I am to plan ahead the next 10 changes and figure out how to make it as cheap as possible.

Last edited:
Where's the color for those that have Euro cars and spend more but change less because
we don't like to waste oil. It is a weird situation. I pay up for what I need. Oil I no longer really care about
getting it dirt cheap as its just required. But I also don't like tossing out good oil well before its time.
I'd rather pay up for a premium oil and filter but run it out longer within the maker's limits.

I would rephrase this to "how effective are you saving money changing your own oil vs the residential cost of a dealership or oil change facility."

Add assumptions that labor is free. the neighbors DOGE RAM TURBAH DIESEL takes 2x the time of a Toyota Matrix.
Add $ assumptions for additional materials, towels, etc
Add assumption for gas used to disposal costs, the container its held in, etc

Interesting topic, needs a little refinement.

Where's the color for those that have Euro cars and spend more but change less because
we don't like to waste oil. It is a weird situation. I pay up for what I need. Oil I no longer really care about
getting it dirt cheap as its just required. But I also don't like tossing out good oil well before its time.
I'd rather pay up for a premium oil and filter but run it out longer within the maker's limits.
Good points. There was a time when folks were pushing the oil to pretty extreme distances, sometime supporting it with oil analysis (that could cost as much as an oil change). My assumption is that all of the oils here are in spec, synthetic and in a recognizable brand, so that they would all go the recommended OCI and maybe a little longer. I am not sure that there is a real contest on OCI length.

I would rephrase this to "how effective are you saving money changing your own oil vs the residential cost of a dealership or oil change facility."

Add assumptions that labor is free. the neighbors DOGE RAM TURBAH DIESEL takes 2x the time of a Toyota Matrix.
Add $ assumptions for additional materials, towels, etc
Add assumption for gas used to disposal costs, the container its held in, etc

Interesting topic, needs a little refinement.
For the sake of the game, we are assuming the cost of 5 quarts, regardless of whether your vehicle takes four, or twelve. I am definitely assuming that this is for the DIY BITOGER. Otherwise, you would be accounting for labor, plus losing 99% of control on oil and filter. The externalities of disposal costs (free in most cases) and the gas to get it there, apply equally to going to the service station and do not need to be considered as part of the game, I think. What are you paying for oil for that RAM??

Depends on the vehicle. Our hybrid, I'm blue, as 0W16 is kinda expensive. The others might be green, not sure, just saw that Walmart has a rollback on their oil?

Here's the thing: I lose out as I try to score oil when it's 50 cents a quart. I keep a couple of changes in stock but don't go out of my way to "score" on rebates. I'm more apt to buy when needed than I am to plan ahead the next 10 changes and figure out how to make it as cheap as possible.
I tip my hat to you scoring fifty cent oil! But to be honest, would love to be stashing more oil than I already do (which is not much).

On vehicles with odd oil capacity. It s hard to do a oil and filter for under $30. Right now Mobil 1 0w-20/30 is $27 my extra over 5qts cost about $5. The filter is $5 or so. I been putting down $39 in my fuelly acct after taxes.

Euro cars that require expensive oil: the color is BLACK. (I am actually in this camp: losing the game when you buy the car)

On vehicles with odd oil capacity. It s hard to do a oil and filter for under $30. Right now Mobil 1 0w-20/30 is $27 my extra over 5qts cost about $5. The filter is $5 or so. I been putting down $39 in my fuelly acct after taxes.
The game is based on the price of five quarts.

I tip my hat to you scoring fifty cent oil! But to be honest, would love to be stashing more oil than I already do (which is not much).
Typing fail on my part--I reworded that several times and missed one detail--I don't go looking for 50 cent oil, and then stock up 100 quarts. Usually can't be bothered to do more than just swing into Walmart.

I’m green. The cheapest Dexos 1 gen 3 5w30 plus a decent filter comes to about $30 USD.
The 2022 3.6L Acadia holds 5.7L, or 6 US quarts if I let it drip for an hour.

I’m a hoarder whether it’s oil or ammo.
So if it’s on sale, look out.

I never did hoard toilet paper. I have a garden hose and a hair dryer in case of emergencies.

I use Schaeffer in nearly everything. I probably score the worst on your scale. Could I get by with something cheaper? Yes; definitely. Do I feel good about my maintenance and what it costs me? Yes; definitely. Does it also help my Schaeffer rep who I consider a good friend? Also yes. I stayed loyal to him and the company even when the prices went sky high the last few years.

Of the 7 vehicles I service, none have cost me more than $20 total to change.
The last change on all my vehicles:
2018 Santa Fe: around $18. $10 for the 6 qts of Rotella T6 0w-40 and $8 for the OEM filter.
2018 Soul: ~$1? Rotella Gas Truck I was paid to get the oil after rebate/clearance, filter was $1.70
2013 K1600: Does not count, have not changed oil yet, but oil (M1 HM) and filter (HiFlo) will be about $30.
2012 xB: $3. More of the "free" RGT oil and a $3 Fram
2010 TC: Same as the xB
2010 Santa Fe: ~$10. Travellers clearance oil and another $1.70 filter
2002 F150: $18, Clearance Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram Ultra.

My biggest cost for future changes will be filters, since my "stash" of cheap filters is about gone, but most vehicles will get either an orange can Fram or a Supertech, so sub $20 changes will still be the norm.

Green band is a high for anyone that frequents the clearance section I bet under the construct of 5 quarts and a filter only.

My cars are pretty plain jane and get whatever clearance oil I have scored. I used to "splurge" on my Cruze and would put in Pennzoil Platinum when bought with a rebate but I think going forward it is going to get whatever 5w30 dexos oil I have in my stash with maybe a shorter OCI then the OLM.

Of the 7 vehicles I service, none have cost me more than $20 total to change.
Me too. I got 10w-30 QSAD for $6.99 per 5qt. jug, + Fram Ultra or NAPA Gold, $9.99 for my old Avalanche. $16.99.
Lifetime $15.99 oil & filter change from Ford for my Fiesta $15.99
RAM truck (negotiated at purchase) 5000 mile oil & filter changes, $19.99

Back