The cost of living in 2024....

Not a dig, but I think there are a ton of healthcare worker jobs where the amount of credits needed far exceeds the job requirements. I got a set of x-rays on my neck just this morning, I'm sure the nice lady that was operating the machine required at least a couple of years of schooling, maybe more. Literally all she did was had me stand where the X was on the board and push a button after I was standing still enough.

If I were in the medical field, I would be asking myself what my fallback plan is after all the boomers are dead. The boomers are at end-of-life treatment so it is booming right now with the hip & knee replacements, cardio, cancer care etc., but then what happens in 10 more years when you patient population drops in half?

If I were going to school today, mortician is where I would be looking.

Ya. My stepfather who did a tour at Da'Nang Vietnam as a surgeon gave me about 100 reasons not to attempt to join the USN.

"This is what your legs look like when you step on a land mine"
- Next slide
"This here's a pilot with white phosphorus burns because he crashed on landing. They brought him in still in his seat"
- Next slide
"See these X's on the torso. They're flechette's some of which went through him."
- Next slide

He took photographs to show and discuss the best forms of treatment. This information would then pass information on to surgeons who rotated in.

My dad maintained/delivered hospital equipment, mainly to UW Madison that has a VAMC attached/nearby. I imagine our parents had the same reasonings.

I'd be surprised if she wasn't eligible to receive other forms of pay such as shift differential, shift differential OT/ regular OT /holiday OT, weekend pay & weekend OT, etc.
You need a couple of years under your belt before they trust you with weekend or night shifts. Right now she is still learning the ropes of the professions. In a couple of years she will be able to live autonomously from paycheck to paycheck.

I didn't want to hijack the Living in a Car thread, but this is kinda-sorta related-

My 25 year old daughter will graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Respiratory Therapy in early May. This venture was 100% financed by my wife and I and my daughter. She did work pretty much all the time she's been in college in some form or fashion and you could say she had two jobs at one point and that was during a very critical time. She mostly worked at restaurant-type places but also worked for the college athletic department as a trainer (taping up ankles, etc) while she was a Kinesiology major. She worked more or less to have some spending money and help augment her groceries, gas, etc. My wife and I paid the heavy costs.

First two years, tuition, books, campus housing/meal card - $10,000 per semester, except for the last semester of the first two years tuition assistance from the Athletic Trainer job knocked about $2500 off of that $10k.

Next year about $5k in tuition for both semesters, housing was about $500/mo, $125 in utilities, $200 in other expenditures, so about $15k/year.

She changed majors, had to take some other courses/classes, etc., applied for nursing and respiratory therapy programs, accepted to both. Chose RT. This was 5 straight semesters. Tuition was $6k/semester. By now, it's 2022 and housing is off the charts, so is food, car insurance, etc. The last 5 semesters were about $50,000 in total expenses plus whatever she spent with her earnings from working a part-time job. This includes housing, food, meds, car insurance, maintenance, fuel, tuition, supplies for college, utilities, etc., so probably somewhere along $60k total.

All told, about $130k total for her degree. She has accepted a position at a local Children's Hospital. She will work one month on day shift and then work night shift from then on. Base rate of pay for day shift is $22.66/hour and there is a $5/hour differential for night shift, where she will make $27.66.

This hospital is in a downtown urban area, a larger city and I don't want her driving 30+ minutes each way before/after a 13-14 hour shift. We've found her a 1-bedroom, ~700 sf apartment that is adjacent to the hospital....she simply has to walk out of the apartment building, down about 1/2 block to a hospital employee parking deck, where she can then traverse through that deck up to a walkway and through another deck and another walkway to the hospital.

Rent is $1500/mo, not including water, sewer, garbage, plus internet, power. Parking is included. She won't have to pay $40/mo to park in the hospital deck.

She will not make enough to live on with a Bachelor's Degree and 5 semesters of high-intensity training, education and hospital clinicals already under her, performing life-saving techniques. After $130,000 in college education expenses at a "State school", one of which most or all of you have never heard of. We will have to continue to help her out with monthly bills until she gets a year or two under her with work experience and possibly a few more certificates of training in life-saving techniques.

Nurses are about the same. I think the same hospitals in the area are starting RNs at a couple dollars more.

Something is really out of whack with college education, cost of college and living expenses today. So before you make all those lovely college campus visits, before you sign your kid up for a college education, before you commit to financing that college/party experience, know that the cost probably isn't amortizable over their careers.
i would believe that there are a good number of medical positions that the employers pay your student dept after a number of years working there , a buddy was speaking of such about his daughters carrer in pharmacutical

At $27.66/hr, assuming typical 3x12 weekly schedule and filing single and 0 on taxes, she'll bring home ~$3,100 a month after taxes. Her rent is ~48% of that. After utilities, phone, internet, insurance, etc... she'll have barely anything for food and gas. That's rough.

I wouldn't have a problem with the 30 minute commute for a cheaper place. I drove an hour each way for years though.

Of course we all have many thoughts on the topic.

As I was going through life I had heard it said that college costs were accelerating faster than everything else. Why, college costs $58k! And a loaded M3 was less! Omg! Look at it today, an M3 costs way more than the most expensive college.

Well, cars have caught up and passed college. As have many items we use. Would you want to live in a 900k- 1 mil home in Boston? That’s a 1700 sq ft home with window AC sometimes.

What is scary even to myself. Taking one’s salary today, and seeing what it was in 2000 dollars. 2010 dollars. If unlucky, one made more then, vs today.

Although I have no answers for a young person starting out, I would tell them to work hard and save like h*** and don’t let “numbers” discourage you. This is reality. Don’t give up, time is on your side. You’ll figure it out.

Also, looking at all the money schools spend in non-academic programs it's no wonder tuition is so expensive.
The thing we should not forget is college is cheap at elite colleges. And that’s ironic. Another Pandora’s box but like everything else, generally speaking, things should be more available for many. Not everyone can be accepted to a school with a 3.6% acceptance rate. No. But costs shouldn’t go from free or minimal to $63,000/yr just like that

The only reason why I bought a house, is because I wasn't able to convince my wife to live in a boujee Skoolie bus. Got close and she almost got on board with it, but here we are. We'd be saving sooo much money...
If I was single - I'd be that guy living in the van or a bus (cheaper and nicer than apparments), while making bank for a healthy early retirement. I'm a simple man.

Her living cost aligns with the current market (most people in her situation would get roommates), her tuitions also aligns, or actually slightly cheaper, than the current one. Most of the people I know with kids in UC right now are paying about 50-60k a year including room and board, tuition, books, etc.

The "problem" today is that many entry level post college jobs don't pay much more than minimum wage. You can do something very meaningful and the market only pays you $22-27/hr for a few years. It is also no guarantee that any current job out there would pay you WAY MORE in your lifetime than you wish to, so that you can pay off your loan, get a home, raise a family, pay for your children's college, etc.

This is why when older people complains about paying $120k to new grad engineers, or young people complains they only get paid $120k after 240k of student loan and $2k apartment, they are both unhappy.

Last edited:
i would believe that there are a good number of medical positions that the employers pay your student dept (sic) after a number of years working there , a buddy was speaking of such about his daughters carrer in pharmacutical

She doesn't have any student debt. Do you believe that every college student has student loan debt because the media and a certain WH Administration is so fixated on it?

I financed her college education. Where do I apply for my free stuff?

We need to ask why? Lack of motivation? Habits , drinking beer smoking Joints and watching the Tv instead of taking classes to improve ones self then improve ones worth in the marketplace? I volunteered for m a year and a half picking up food donated by the big grocery store chains . One day I went in when they were handing out food and saw at least 80% of the people driving nicer cars than I, lots of tats and smoking. I accept that I have made mistakes over my life time yet I keep on trying to improve and not keep on repeating the same mistakes.
It is mostly a market mismatch. A lot of really smart engineers I know end up giving up their "career" because there were no demand in it. I'm not talking about social engineering or other pseudo science, but people who did robotics, electrical engineering, etc. There were time they could not find a job and by the time there are jobs they only hire "new" people instead of someone unemployed for 3 years. Those guys ended up as either house flippers or stock traders, making good money, but waste of our education spending when they don't really need it at all (my parents with only middle school education did ok as investors).

The problem is "borrowing money for education" when there is no guarantee an education would pay more to offset the loan. Nothing is guaranteed in this world except you cannot wipe out student loan with bankruptcy. This is a trap and ethical problem, whether you allow it (predatory loan) or not (excluding people with opportunities).

This is true in many cases, but it doesn't stop with just a degree. My sister works in a biotech company. She has a Bachelors, but now she is kind of stuck because she can't really move up the chain without getting a master's, and then later on a PhD.
My ex wife is in that industry. Master does nothing to your income. Her friends have PhD and also did little, when you consider the opportunity cost is losing 4 years of income and buying a home 4 years late (that's the biggest expense in life).

They say in the ads during the football games and other sporting events that their goal is to be the world's most important public research institution. In my opinion that is wrong. They need to focus on educating the next generation of knowledge workers for our state and our country at a reasonable price. They have a multi-billion dollar endowment. I have stopped giving them money, in fact a number of years ago. In my opinion they don't need it. I'm a Texas Ex Life Member, but I don't give the ex-students association money anymore either.

FWIW, $700 in January 1995 dollars is worth $1428.62 in December 2023 money. Yeah.

They are not wrong though. The main difference between top 10 schools vs the top 11-100 is likely about doing research. You can get the same education everywhere but the top school let you participate in research while studying, so when you get out you have some experience and a head start with your career (assuming it is a field that has good paying jobs).

I think one has to be focused on a career before going to college or at least in the first year. You said she changed majors, did she not know what the salaries were going to be in the field she was going into?
The only reason colleges are expensive as some think, is people pay, just like any product. To spend that kind of money in a field she is only going to make that base pay is insane.
I am sure there must be a future with her education where she is going to make a lot more. If not why go into that field, at that pay, she will never get under the interest expenses never mind the principle. Fast food workers make a base pay of $20 an hour in some places and that is to start with no education.

Most hospitals were paying Respiratory Therapists during the height of the chinese biological warfare games $50-60/hr. Yes, this was generally subsidized rates because there was a shortage of RTs versus the number of ventilators in operation around the country.

I tell ya what - the next time you need some emergency medical, life-saving assistance for you or a family member, I bet you want to make sure they are the best trained, have a deep desire to be there and are willing to come in and work all hours of the day and night for peanuts.

I take it most of you have never spent months in the hospital beside a loved one who is dependent upon these nurses and RTs who are literally saving their patients lives hour by hour.

The cost to students is insane. Meanwhile, I'm reminded that Texas A&M is paying out $76.8 million to Jimbo Fisher to sit at home.
There are way too many examples, but how about $1000 for a family of 4 to see a NHL game, or $600 concert tix. My way is boycott. But lots of people partake. I’m ok as being perceived as a have not. The divide is large.

Can she get a job in a lower cost of living town?

Sure. Maybe she will stay in some small town where there's not much chance for advancement, might be able to shack up with a fella she meets at the waffle house working part-time on the weekends. That will be worth 6-1/2 years of college, working like a dog and $150k....

My ex wife is in that industry. Master does nothing to your income. Her friends have PhD and also did little, when you consider the opportunity cost is losing 4 years of income and buying a home 4 years late (that's the biggest expense in life).
In my day education was valued. How many parents of ours got phds for fun, went to law school at night, passed 10 actuarial exams. Maybe that was excessive. But today it’s swung the other way. A 20 yo can make $22k/mo with a YouTube channel acting like a buffoon. So why learn? Shout out to LOFE.

I hear you HD.

My 18yr/old son is going to an out of state school for mechanical engineering. This college is only ~60 miles away so they gave him "in state" tuition. It's still going to cost him $25K+ per year. He has to pay for it and is currently financing it all. Much to my wife's dismay, I tried talking him out of college in the first place, because he isn't the most driven student and could have gotten some (in my opinion) great jobs w/out a degree.

My 22yr/old daughter struggled badly with RN school and ultimately re-directed to (hopefully) become a diagnostic medical sonographer. She was forced to do much of the classwork "remotely" as a lot of the local schools don't have enough staffing for in-class. She is also taking loans and paying as she goes as she works part time (36-40hrs/week).

I also have a 20yr/old son who can't seem to find direction and a 12yr/old son who keeps me on my toes.
ME actually pays ok if you know what you are doing. Most of the ME I know ended up as control / software engineers and the one I recently work with, 26 years old, MS from UC Merced, just got a promotion to mid level and is probably making about $150-160k. The key is to enter the right industry instead of just any job you have near your small town home. One I know ended up as program manager at Apple and manage progress on phones / laptop / etc design to manufacturing transition. She's probably making most of her money from stock and probably made an average of 230k a year in the last decade.

In my day education was valued. How many parents of ours got phds for fun, went to law school at night, passed 10 actuarial exams. Maybe that was excessive. But today it’s swung the other way. A 20 yo can make $22k/mo with a YouTube channel acting like a buffoon. So why learn? Shout out to LOFE.
YouTuber is a business of survivor bias. Most make little to nothing and it is a winner take all industry.

I can pull examples of people I know in the industry making 500k-1M a year from their RSU at work, but that's some outliers you don't count as average or typical either. Not everyone is Mr Beast.

Back