UTI's are bad. Could cranberry and d-mannose help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many here know my wife has had some serious health issues. Liver and kidney transplants, a perforated stomach causing massive infection. Her latest issue now is reoccurring UTI's. She has had 3 in the last 2 months. They turn to sepsis fast so she has been in and out of the hospital. She has even developed some antibiotic resistant bacteria unfortunately.
I have been doing a lot of research on different treats to try and lessen the chance of getting them. One option is estrogen cream for older women. (They put her on it.)
The other was Cranberry extract pills and d-mannose. Both of these are suppose to help stop bacteria from attaching to the urinary tract so it can be flushed out. Doctors said to give it a try.
I really hope it works!

Take care of your health my friends!

azo standard is a great OTC treatment and has been used at my house with success. If your wife has developed a resistance to antibiotic maybe try some colloidal silver as well.

I see ads on TV for Uqora. No idea if it's effective or safe but something to check out. Good luck to your wife.

Eating cranberries sure couldn't hurt, and raw garlic, onions too.
Or garlic and onion concentrates seems to work well too according to this study.

Not trying to get too personal here, but if she's stuck using some sort of catheter - suprapubic or foley - drinking a lot of water is about the only way but the bacteria will continue to collect in all of that and make it's way to the bloodstream. My father had a rough few years battling infections from that suprapubic catheter.

Not trying to get too personal here, but if she's stuck using some sort of catheter - suprapubic or foley - drinking a lot of water is about the only way but the bacteria will continue to collect in all of that and make it's way to the bloodstream. My father had a rough few years battling infections from that suprapubic catheter.
Thankfully she rarely gets a catheter

They have varied opinions. Some mention possible long term antibiotics. Some say the mentioned combo works. Others are not convinced.

I would definitely have her take cranberry juice and …. 15 milliliters multiplied by her weight per pound = total milliliters of water daily needed….

And I’m going to tell you this…. Sadly those uti could and very likely take her out of this world.

Do not blame yourself if that were to happen… like my aunt told me who was a CNA for 30 years… “ Eventually you can’t catch them in time because the time to catch a infection gets shorter and shorter as times goes forward “.

My aunt was and is totally right about that. I have seen it many times.

And I’m going to tell you this…. Sadly those uti could and very likely take her out of this world.

Do not blame yourself if that were to happen… like my aunt told me who was a CNA for 30 years… “ Eventually you can’t catch them in time because the time to catch a infection gets shorter and shorter as times goes forward “.

My aunt was and is totally right about that. I have seen it many times.

It happened to both of my parents in the last few months. That was with constant monitoring for anything out of the ordinary. The various doctors all said they would've been gone years ago without that constant attention.

Eventually, you can't prevent the inevitable.

But to me OP, it sounds like your wife still has some fight left. Here's to many more years with your bride.

AZO kind of things are mostly OTC mild symptom stuff. If you need something stronger they probably will be from prescriptions. Wish you the best, and make sure you talk to doctors and see what will work as she has other issues to combat.

AZO kind of things are mostly OTC mild symptom stuff. If you need something stronger they probably will be from prescriptions. Wish you the best, and make sure you talk to doctors and see what will work as she has other issues to combat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is an extremely good post here too.

Other additional factors make this a complex circumstance. Therefore speaking to her primary care physician is a must as well.

Hopefully you all have a very good one for her and you too.

It happened to both of my parents in the last few months. That was with constant monitoring for anything out of the ordinary. The various doctors all said they would've been gone years ago without that constant attention.

Eventually, you can't prevent the inevitable.

But to me OP, it sounds like your wife still has some fight left. Here's to many more years with your bride.
Well I'm afraid she's used up quite a few of her cat lives already.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is an extremely good post here too.

Other additional factors make this a complex circumstance. Therefore speaking to her primary care physician is a must as well.

Hopefully you all have a very good one for her and you too.
Since she is a Henry Ford hospital transplant patient they keep pretty close tabs on her.

Ok.

Very Good.

Routine Renal and liver function testing is an obvious must…Antibiotic drugs can become toxic quickly.

For example Vancomycin is extremely hard on the kidneys. . Peaks Troughs are drawn to monitor those levels. In regular healthy people…

My grandmother was in severe renal failure and I knew her time was running extremely short like less than 2-3 days. She had a high number of UTIs for the previous 2 years. She had a uti and was septic. With renal failure and liver failure…

I was the one who had to my mom that the person she loved most in this world that she was not going to make it.

Though I’m glad it was me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back