Hiring a kid for snow removal VS grown men

Local Facebook group advertised a gal wanting to do yard work for cash 2 years ago. Messaged her about picking up walnuts in my back yard, and she said she would be right over. I waited outside, a young lady pulled up riding a bicycle. I never asked her age, but expected an older gal! Was a heck of a good worker, did the job and I paid her well.

As a kid, I mowed lawns and shoveled snow. Been there and done that. Most kids don't want to work anymore and have no ambition. We had about 6" of snow the other day, and I saw her Dad on Facebook for the kid saying she did snow removal for extra cash. Gave me her cell# to contact her with a text.
Guessing she is maybe 15 or 16 years old now.

Who would you hire? I'm leaning towards the ambitious kid. Other options are the lawn guys that do snow in the winter.
I have a very nice snowblower, but I am not turning a teen loose with that. So it would be shovel only for her. What say you all? We are supposed to get another 6-9" snow Friday.

For RESIDENTIAL work - mow, blow, snow was how I made money as a kid and I'll support reliable kids in that all day long and pay and tip them well.
I do want to talk to mom or dad though.

For commercial work It's contractual adults only.

I have a very nice snowblower, but I am not turning a teen loose with that. So it would be shovel only for her. What say you all? We are supposed to get another 6-9" snow Friday.

As a kid I brought my own snowblower and shovel. It was my families blower I got to use, but I had to pay the gas for extracurricular use.

I also had to make a deal for this - the deal was I had to do the older widows house cross the street for free!
I thought I was getting screwed here as a kid and resented it, but it made 7 more driveways go 80% faster and easier so I cut the deal.

I shaved the gas thing a lil bit....

I'd "need" to fill the tank just before finishing my driveway so I'd get mostly one free tank out of the deal.

Dad busted me, with the side glance and asked - so it takes 3 gallons to do our driveway?

As a kid I brought my own snowblower and shovel. It was my families blower I got to use, but I had to pay the gas for extracurricular use.

I also had to make a deal for this - the deal was I had to do the older widows house cross the street for free!
I thought I was getting screwed here as a kid and resented it, but it made 7 more driveways go 80% faster and easier so I cut the deal.

I shaved the gas thing a lil bit....

I'd "need" to fill the tank just before finishing my driveway so I'd get mostly one free tank out of the deal.

Dad busted me, with the side glance and asked - so it takes 3 gallons to do our driveway?
Gotta love a shrewd business move... Well played UD!
Remind me to not be on the other side of the negotiation table with you...

Local Facebook group advertised a gal wanting to do yard work for cash 2 years ago. Messaged her about picking up walnuts in my back yard, and she said she would be right over. I waited outside, a young lady pulled up riding a bicycle. I never asked her age, but expected an older gal! Was a heck of a good worker, did the job and I paid her well.

As a kid, I mowed lawns and shoveled snow. Been there and done that. Most kids don't want to work anymore and have no ambition. We had about 6" of snow the other day, and I saw her Dad on Facebook for the kid saying she did snow removal for extra cash. Gave me her cell# to contact her with a text.
Guessing she is maybe 15 or 16 years old now.

Who would you hire? I'm leaning towards the ambitious kid. Other options are the lawn guys that do snow in the winter.
6-9" of snow is alot even for someone with a Snowblower. I'd be a little hesitant letting a high school kid shovel that much snow.

6-9" of snow is alot even for someone with a Snowblower. I'd be a little hesitant letting a high school kid shovel that much snow.
It ended up being -20F and she backed out. Ended up hiring a truck and plow. Told him to come back every snow.
He just sends a bill every month.

Depends on where you live I guess. I use to go around as a kid and knock on doors after a good snow. Times are a bit different now but I would assume many would be OK with it.
When I was a kid I would ask the neighbors if they needed their lawn cut.

We had an elderly neighbor give us a 2 stroke snow blower under the premise we take care of her sidewalk and driveway.

We did that and the entire sidewalk on our block because it was so fun lol.

Back