Needed a new bed for the wife

Due to the wife's health issues and insomnia we sleep in separate rooms. She was sleeping on a full size sleep number bed. She usually set it at 50. Well the bed started to slowly lose air and finally totally lost air. The bed was old and purchased used so we got our use out of it.

She prefers a softer bed, I prefer a firmer one. We went to Denver Mattress and bought their cheap Denver Mattress Eurotop. She loves it and says it is very comfortable. It is a hybrid spring/foam style. We will see how it holds up. It does have a 365 day trial

So what do you guys like? What firmness, style, Construction etc....

New air bladders can be purchased for Sleep Number beds. I don't recall it being that expensive either, certainly cheaper than a new bed.

I had to replace it when I woke up lying on the box spring one morning. lol

We've settled on our favorite mattress situation being a medium firm memory foam with a 3" latex foam topper. Our current latex topper is quite durable having lasted 10 years without compressing. I like the latex as it does not get too hot in the summer like regular memory foam and doesn't suck you in so much.

We've traded out the memory foam mattresses ever 8 years or so.

We've settled on our favorite mattress situation being a medium firm memory foam with a 3" latex foam topper. Our current latex topper is quite durable having lasted 10 years without compressing. I like the latex as it does not get too hot in the summer like regular memory foam and doesn't suck you in so much.

We've traded out the memory foam mattresses ever 8 years or so.
Seems like almost everything is foam today.

Even when I was younger, a super-soft, plush mattress always ended up hurting my back. When we shopped for a new mattress, my wife thought it felt like laying on a rock but she trusted me.... First night, well, the following morning, she said she never slept better.

A pillow-top is fine because the core mattress underneath is still ultra-firm. No memory-foam toppers either here.

We’ve had a king sleep number for….12 years now. Wow. It’s probably time to replace it or at least the pillow top. I like my side firmer, 70-75, my wife prefers 45-50. We’ve discussed a new mattress multiple times but I’m happy with the sleep number still.

Stone is hard enough for me but an extra firm king size plank is good but not for everyone.

We just purchased our second Sleep Number to replace our first (which was a couple of months shy of 20 years old.)
My side started to leak, and the side bolsters on my side were shot (which we could have repaired), but we decided to upgrade to a split king to facilitate an adjustable base bed, because of health reasons for the both of us.
Sleeping much better now with the ability to elevate our head and legs as necessary.

TEMPUR-Adapt is what I'm saving up my pennies for.

The worst bed I ever tried at a store is Tempur-Pedic. I tried every one on the showroom floor at a Big Sandy Furniture store. But I'm not you and you're not me.

Thankfully my wife and I both like a plush mattress. We bought a store brand Sleepys Reseve Plush mattress at the Mattress Firm a few years ago. It has two sets of coils, the top being nano coils. It's a cal-king. Unless I'm cuddling my wife, I sleep stretched out on my stomach and my feet will hang over on a king mattress.

The worst bed I ever tried at a store is Tempur-Pedic. I tried every one on the showroom floor at a Big Sandy Furniture store. But I'm not you and you're not me.

Thankfully my wife and I both like a plush mattress. We bought a store brand Sleepys Reseve Plush mattress at the Mattress Firm a few years ago. It has two sets of coils, the top being nano coils. It's a cal-king. Unless I'm cuddling my wife, I sleep stretched out on my stomach and my feet will hang over on a king mattress.

I'm comparing the Tempur-Pedic to the worst bed in the world; a 35 year old Stearns & Foster mattress and box spring set. When they say "pressure points," they're definitely talking about my bed. If I stay in any position longer than 6 minutes, that body part making contact turns numb.

I just bought a Chatham & Wells hybrid queen in very soft. It's my first mattress purchase ever. I thought I was a firm believer (see what I did there?) But I ended up loving extra soft and for $1300 with a new frame, delivered, I couldn't be happier.

Only downside is it doesn't bounce as much ;). My last mattress was like a trampoline compared to this.

I just bought a Chatham & Wells hybrid queen in very soft. It's my first mattress purchase ever. I thought I was a firm believer (see what I did there?) But I ended up loving extra soft and for $1300 with a new frame, delivered, I couldn't be happier.

Only downside is it doesn't bounce as much ;). My last mattress was like a trampoline compared to this.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out whether I need bounce or not. People say the memory foam mattresses don't bounce.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out whether I need bounce or not. People say the memory foam mattresses don't bounce.

Nope! They don't bounce at all. Personally I really dislike memory foam mattresses because of that and they seem very firm to me.

19 Years ago I lucked into a Sealy king foam bed. It was around the time foam was hitting the market, at least around me. This mattress is HEAVY! But oh my, it is firm and remains like new in firmness. I sleep so well in this bed. Contours to your body and springs right back when you get up. I'm truly grateful for this mattress!

I'm risking my mancard but I will cry like a little "B" when the day comes to replace this mattress. I had an ex-gal-pal ask me to replace it as she didn't like the fact other women slept in it. I had to tell her, you'll go before the mattress! :love:

Back