The Buick Grand National & GNX for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also made a car that looked like this. And I like it. Though many do not.. What year is this, 89??? Yes, the pic says 1989...

29532940038_large.jpg

Many awesome rides on here. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2953294/1989-buick-lesabre/

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Why don't they bring back the Regal T-type? I would buy that!

2425_Buick-Regal-T-Type_7.jpg

^^^ My across-the-street neighbor has a 1990 Caprice Classic (last year of that style) and in this Regal, it pretty much screams "2-door Caprice! 2-door Caprice!" from the front of the hood (style is different, yes, but, underpinnings...) - to the doors. Then the back changes.

I buy GM exclusively, I do not want that. 25 years ago as daily driver, maybe. My next car in a year or two to replace my current Regal is an Impala, Chevy SS or new Regal GS.
We just purchased a 2013 Equinox and the wife and I love it.
Technology is awesome.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Does it really matter if its 4/2 door? For the most part nobody I know cares about that- except my grandfather. He thinks coupes are more sporty. Why does it matter how many doors it has? Personally I'd always go with 4 given the option- far easier access to backseats and no real downsides imo.

I'd prefer they get rid of the back seat, too, but that's another issue.
wink.gif

I agree. I'm getting use to 4-ddors, but I'm getting use to a lot of things I don't really prefer nowadays. I like 2 doors and 2-seater sports car. It wasn't that long ago what 10 or so years ago that 4-doors were mostly popular for family cars, soccer moms, and old non-car guys. I don't like a 2-ddor to have too long doors though even if it has a back seat.

Yep, if I want to haul someone around, I'll get an Impala or a Suburban or minivan. I understand why there aren't a lot of two seaters out there. That doesn't mean I'm going to be lining up to buy a four door "sports car," either.

And really, there's nothing stopping GM from having the GNX is a two door, but having a four door, less sporty version. Look at how many vehicles shared the same platform back in the original GNX days.

For some reason, the domestics seem to have less success with selling both 2- and 4-door versions of a car. I'm not sure why that is. Honda has had success for many years with the Civic and Accord in both versions. Hyundai sells an Elantra in both flavors. Infinity sells Gs in both 2- and 4-door varieties. BMW as well with their 3-series.

GM hasn't had much luck with that lately. Maybe the CTS is beginning to change that. Is the ATS also available with two doors? Ford used to sell a 2-door version of the USDM Focus, but I'm not sure if they still do with the current generation Focus. Maybe as "domestic" platforms become more globally harmonized, we'll see 2-door versions of world cars offered for sale here again.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Ford used to sell a 2-door version of the USDM Focus, but I'm not sure if they still do with the current generation Focus.

I believe that the hot, ST version, and the former RS/RS500 versions were available as coupe hatches in England/Europe.

I don't know about the current lineup, though I do wish that they offered both 2 doors AND AWD on the hottest ST/RS versions.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

2425_Buick-Regal-T-Type_7.jpg

I clearly remember the day, back in 1990, when that exact car wiped the street with my friends heavily modified Porsche 930. It was not even close. That guy was at least a mile ahead, and nearly out of sight, in very short order.

I was stunned, as the 930 came stock with 330HP, was lighter and was modified to around 400HP (about all the air-cooled engine would withstand in South Florida) .

Ever since then, I've had plenty of respect for a well tuned GNX.

Originally Posted By: Garak
And really, there's nothing stopping GM from having the GNX is a two door, but having a four door, less sporty version. Look at how many vehicles shared the same platform back in the original GNX days.

And they still share platforms. This one underpins a lot of very nice cars and will support a few more as well.

The reason it's a 4 door is sales. Pure and simple. If they think it'll sell expect a two door version, but that's not likely at Buick.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The reason it's a 4 door is sales. Pure and simple. If they think it'll sell expect a two door version, but that's not likely at Buick.

Absolutely. But, as I mentioned, blindly chasing sales and selling to the least common denominator is what put GM in deep trouble in the first place. It's not like a two door version would be cannibalizing Camaro or Vette sales. Done right, it could easily be competition for something like the G37.

All makes practice a bit of platform swapping.

I see a ton of G3x 4 doors around, so it seems they may already be competing, perhaps just not yet in the 2 door market.

The past does not automatically predict the future. I am certain that GM knows the demographic, and will offer a 2 door the minute they believe it is profitable. The 2 door CTS really surprised folks. Maybe they have a few cards out of sight at the moment?

The 2 door CTS really surprised folks. Maybe they have a few cards out of sight at the moment?

I'd love a 2 door CTS with about 700HP. With 700HP being the my practical limit for street driven, rear wheel drive cars. It seems that more just results in excessive wheelspin...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The 2 door CTS really surprised folks. Maybe they have a few cards out of sight at the moment?

I'd love a 2 door CTS with about 700HP. With 700HP being the my practical limit for street driven, rear wheel drive cars. It seems that more just results in excessive wheelspin...

One of my track buddies had a 4 door CTS-V with some very minor upgrades. About 600 hp at the rear wheels. Since it was a slushbox it lost a little of the enthusiast flavor but OMG what a consistent hard pull if there was traction. The engines actually hold up well under that supercharger, the only issue is it can overheat the SC itself if you can find enough road to keep the pedal on the mat long enough.

To me the CTS-V 2 door is very attractive with a stick.

I see a ton of G3x 4 doors around, so it seems they may already be competing, perhaps just not yet in the 2 door market.

That would pique my interest. I don't feel like spending the money on a Vette or a high end CTS, and if I wanted a Mustang or a Camaro or Challenger, I'd have one, but a hypothetical GNX two door might be interesting. Something a little different is always nice, provided it's not too expensive.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back