FBI and the Buick Grand National

yeah I think the California emissions laws created that car. Pontiac would put a certain Olds engine in the California cars and if you were not in Ca, you were lucky and got the Pontiac motor. Of course back then with all the detuned and emission choked engines even what were supposed to be sports cars were more like boat anchors. I still loved the designs and body styles of many but those were some awful years for auto / speed freaks to endure.

My parents got a 1975 Chevy Monza Towne Coupe with a 5.0L V-8 generating maybe a whopping 120 HP. Not sure why it wasn't the 5.7 that the rest of the country got, but it was a California specific version. It was maybe the first year where it was unleaded only. However, early catalytic converters were pretty sad.

yeah I think the California emissions laws created that car. Pontiac would put a certain Olds engine in the California cars and if you were not in Ca, you were lucky and got the Pontiac motor. ...

Even my 77, some of them had the olds 403, some had a 400 Pontiac, me and my friend each had one both of ours were Pontiac, another friend at school had a 403 you could tell which engine it had by the decal on the shaker one was T/A 6.6 and the other was 6.6 Litre. I think the poncho was T/A 6.6 but i might have it backwards. Im not sure what determined which cars got what motor or if you could actually order the one you wanted new. His was a muncie and mine was a TH400 the olds car was an automatic too.

My step mother had a "Grand Am" (not the front wheel drive thing it was rear wheel drive) with Pontiac 301 (sans Turbo) i took my drivers test in it.. it was slow... Dad got it new really cheap because it was kind or a sickly blue with sickly blue interior - i thing it may even have been 2 tone sickly blue...

But yes i think the 301 turbo was an attempt at performance after emissions killed to big block cars.

The kid with the muncie trans am, his dad had a radiator shop and used car lot... he had some interesting stuff including a Laguna S3 (?) a 58 Impala convertible 348 6v and a turbo Monza Corvair Convertible... (can't believe i forgot that one earlier, it was neat, real wire knock offs and all..)

Even a HO-5.0L Ranger would've been cool as would a Turbo 2.3L Lima.
My 1994 Ford F150 had the similar stock EFI 5.0 engine as my 1986 Bronco had in it. Those engines were really a major improvement over what the Big Three had made us buy from about 1973 to 1983. (total Junk!) I would just mash the pedal on the 5.0 fuel injected engines and they could move the hell out of those big heavy Fords. They even did get pretty good gas mileage on the road in cruise even when pulling boats. I actually toyed with the idea of transplanting the 1994 5.0 into my last Chevelle just for the fun of it. That would have been interesting.

My parents got a 1975 Chevy Monza Towne Coupe with a 5.0L V-8 generating maybe a whopping 120 HP. Not sure why it wasn't the 5.7 that the rest of the country got, but it was a California specific version. It was maybe the first year where it was unleaded only. However, early catalytic converters were pretty sad.
Oh man. From about 1973 on, in the auto world if you lived inside the California borders you Could Not Have a lot of what the rest of the world could buy and enjoy. Too many specific laws that were all anti auto. They had to do it in all fairness. At one time , before those laws there was a daily cloud of smog that hung over many parts of developed California. People don't realize today just how bad that smog / pollution had gotten.
They did a great job of cleaning / clearing it up. It took many things and not just automotive laws. Yet they were a part of it.

Even my 77, some of them had the olds 403, some had a 400 Pontiac, me and my friend each had one both of ours were Pontiac, another friend at school had a 403 you could tell which engine it had by the decal on the shaker one was T/A 6.6 and the other was 6.6 Litre. I think the poncho was T/A 6.6 but i might have it backwards. Im not sure what determined which cars got what motor or if you could actually order the one you wanted new. His was a muncie and mine was a TH400 the olds car was an automatic too.

My step mother had a "Grand Am" (not the front wheel drive thing it was rear wheel drive) with Pontiac 301 (sans Turbo) i took my drivers test in it.. it was slow... Dad got it new really cheap because it was kind or a sickly blue with sickly blue interior - i thing it may even have been 2 tone sickly blue...

But yes i think the 301 turbo was an attempt at performance after emissions killed to big block cars.

The kid with the muncie trans am, his dad had a radiator shop and used car lot... he had some interesting stuff including a Laguna S3 (?) a 58 Impala convertible 348 6v and a turbo Monza Corvair Convertible... (can't believe i forgot that one earlier, it was neat, real wire knock offs and all..)
The last of my toys that I sold off about 2 years ago was a 76 Chevy Chevelle Laguna S3 show car with the 400 cui, had all anti pollution removed and duals going all the way out the back. I had one that I did that to and added Hooker headers on around 1985. That car could lay a smoke screen and a long rubber line on the pavement. You ever seen one of these? My all time favorite Pontiac, Super rare these days....
197677-pontiac-can-am-12.jpg

Yep GMC did the Typhoon and Syclone but those were modified post factory - trivia thats the first time i ever saw an Extang cover. I can't recall who did them, ASC i think.

Then there was the turbo Grand Prix that begot the appearance package (B4U I think) those were done by ASC-McLaren and it wasn't appreciably faster than a non turbo one...

DSC5011.jpg

The Pace Car Trans Ams were GN wrapped in a F-Body

Chevrolet sold Sprint Turbos and I think there was a Spectrum Turbo too but I would not swear to it...

458431.jpg

I wanted a Sprint Turbo when I was in high school. Not sure why, but my dream car back then was a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16, but the Sprint seemed more obtainable. My first car was a 1995 Acura Integra GS-R so I think I did a little better than than a Chevy Sprint.

However, the Sprint was really a Suzuki and everything was basically released in Japan before it came to the US in Sprint cladding. Here's a 1985 Suzuki Cultus 1.0L turbo 3.

Suzuki-Cultus-I.jpg

The last of my toys that I sold off about 2 years ago was a 76 Chevy Chevelle Laguna S3 show car with the 400 cui, had all anti pollution removed and duals going all the way out the back. I had one that I did that to and added Hooker headers on around 1985. That car could lay a smoke screen and a long rubber line on the pavement. You ever seen one of these? My all time favorite Pontiac, Super rare these days.... View attachment 87731
Didn't care for that tacked-on look, interior was like my Grand Prix, but liked what was under the hood. :D

Grand Nationals are my thing - I own an 87 that I've had since new and had a few others thru the years. The FBI cars were all Turbo-T models, came in several colors and they were not modified in any way except the top speed governor was removed. I've seen many back in the day and a buddy bought one at auction.

Grand Nationals are my thing - I own an 87 that I've had since new and had a few others thru the years. The FBI cars were all Turbo-T models, came in several colors and they were not modified in any way except the top speed governor was removed. I've seen many back in the day and a buddy bought one at auction.
Thats awesome. I hope (you just gotta) have a good place to keep it stored when not in use I bet. I am jealous. To me there is nothing sweeter from those years they were being produced.
Its a real testament to the engineering and quality Buick put an effort into in those days when you see just how many people who bought them new or used knew exactly what they had and made efforts to keep them as pristine as possible. It always amazes me how many Type-T, GN or even GNX models I find out that people still have in like new conditions so many years since they were new. I hope you get to enjoy it on the roads from time to time and its not so nice to scare you from using it like some folks tend to do. Ever took it down the tracks to see what it could do?

The last of my toys that I sold off about 2 years ago was a 76 Chevy Chevelle Laguna S3 show car with the 400 cui, had all anti pollution removed and duals going all the way out the back. I had one that I did that to and added Hooker headers on around 1985. That car could lay a smoke screen and a long rubber line on the pavement. You ever seen one of these? My all time favorite Pontiac, Super rare these days.... View attachment 87731

Yep, sure did. Forgot all about this. Cool Find!

I keep threatening to 5.0 swap the 2002 Ranger - too many projects though...
My 02 3.0 may be dying. I replaced the cam synchro for the third time in the truck's life, but the symptoms (bucking, loss of power, chirping noise) came back a week later and I'm worried there is wear to the cam. I'm going to try one more synchro to rule out a bad part, but if it does it again that means an engine. If the body was in good shape, I'd definitely be looking to swap a 5.0 in, but it's got so much body damage I'm not sure what I'm willing to put in it. Since it's been parked at work though, it has gotten a lot of interest, so maybe it is worth putting a 5.0 in. 🤣

I love my Typhoon most people today don't know what it is .
Oh I know exactly what it is! The sister to the Syclone and they made less of the Typhoons. I always wanted either one of them. I have an 87 GN so they seem to be in the same family of "GM did something right!"

Thats awesome. I hope (you just gotta) have a good place to keep it stored when not in use I bet. I am jealous. To me there is nothing sweeter from those years they were being produced.
Its a real testament to the engineering and quality Buick put an effort into in those days when you see just how many people who bought them new or used knew exactly what they had and made efforts to keep them as pristine as possible. It always amazes me how many Type-T, GN or even GNX models I find out that people still have in like new conditions so many years since they were new. I hope you get to enjoy it on the roads from time to time and its not so nice to scare you from using it like some folks tend to do. Ever took it down the tracks to see what it could do?
Thank you sir! It is mostly stock with the typical easy mods (meaning going back stock is easy) such as the better fuel pump, injectors, chip. ATR ram air and exhaust and a TA49 Turbo. It runs 18lbs boost which is conservative (stock was 13) and I only took it to the track 1 time when I lived in MD. I nice 80 degree day I ran 12.25. No the fastest but I wanted to not blow it up either lol.

Back