The Buick Grand National & GNX for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
You knew it was only a matter of time before GM brought back all of their "glory" nameplates."

Obviously, 442 did not make the cut.

What would 442 stand for today? 4 cylinder, 4 tires, and the power of a 2 cylinder?

4 door 40mpg 2 expensive

I agree with the comment this guy left on the C and D page:

What a waste!!! Putting the GNX and Grand National badge on a 4 cyl 4 door grocery getter. Don't defile the names!!! The stupidest thing Buick did in recent years was to sell off the 3.8 for the P.O.S. 3.6. The second stupidest thing is the Regal GS and now at number 3 is this [censored] GNX- Grand national. The designers at Buick are suffering from C.R.I.S. (cerebral rectal inversion syndrome). I have given up on Buick of ever being able to build a real RWD V8 performance car so don't screw with a legacy and rub it's nose in [censored].
GM's idea of a performance car is a 2.6L 4 cylinder instead of a 2.4L 4 cylinder. Where have the designers of past gone? All we have now is Japanese copycats- Not an original design any where to be found.

As the owner of 3 different 3800s two of them supercharged and both supercharged cars ran or run 13's I have to say give me a 3.6 any day. Love the power they make and the potential of the turbo ones.

The new GN and GNX will most likely turn out better numbers then the counterparts. The best times for the original stock GNX were about 13.50 at about 102 mph. Not blindly fast. Is everyone upset that it is a four door? That really doesn't bother me one bit. I am glad I can something that moves out smartly, stops well, turns well and I can throw some folks in the back comfortably.

That is not stay I would not want a GN/GNX but they are not the best daily drivers on the planet. It makes a nice weekend driver.

No 442 because no Oldsmobile but if they were to use the twin turbo 3.6

4=400 horsepower
4=4 cams
2=2 turbos.

What is not to like?

But I digress. You guys can keep living in the 80's and run 13's in a less than optimal chassis in a limited production car that at times I feel is bit overrated.

GM is trying to appeal to a larger group of folks so they can sell cars. There was a time and place for the GN, GNX, GSX. That time is gone now.

You have to remember I love big engine RWD cars that get stupid. Hence the 11 second WS6 sitting in the garage. Lots of people don't like that and don't want to drive it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I agree with the comment this guy left on the C and D page:

What a waste!!! Putting the GNX and Grand National badge on a 4 cyl 4 door grocery getter. Don't defile the names!!! The stupidest thing Buick did in recent years was to sell off the 3.8 for the P.O.S. 3.6. The second stupidest thing is the Regal GS and now at number 3 is this [censored] GNX- Grand national. The designers at Buick are suffering from C.R.I.S. (cerebral rectal inversion syndrome). I have given up on Buick of ever being able to build a real RWD V8 performance car so don't screw with a legacy and rub it's nose in [censored].
GM's idea of a performance car is a 2.6L 4 cylinder instead of a 2.4L 4 cylinder. Where have the designers of past gone? All we have now is Japanese copycats- Not an original design any where to be found.

The line about swapping the 3.8L for the "POS" 3.6L was enough for me to not care about the rest of the post. Seriously? The 3.6 in our traverse is a very nice engine. Put that in a small car? Add two turbos two it? Jesus, you'd have a rocket with that. The 3.8L has nothing on the new 3.6L overall. Not that it's a bad engine, but the 3.6L has it beat in every way.

As much as I love the styling of the original GN and GNX lets face it: No matter HOW they styled it, people would complain that it looks terrible and ugly and is an insult to the legacy.

No matter what engine they put under the hood, people would complain that it is terrible compared to the old V8s, and is an insult to the legacy.

They could style it like the original GN and put a 6.2L V8 under the hood with modern suspension and all that and people would STILL COMPLAIN about SOMETHING. Because it's an insult to the blah blah blah blah. Because that is what people do. Complain. Purists will always COMPLAIN.

But then they could build the exact same car down to the last bolt and guess what... People would.. STILL. Complain, about something.

I for one am glad GM is bringing the name back, it should complement their line up nicely. And should be one heck of a sleeper too.

I like buicks engines, performance. Its the styling that needs help. They all look the same, cars for those over 75 , heading to the 5:00 buffet. This one looks like a hodge podge of caddy, dodge and ghetto blender blade wheels.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Is everyone upset that it is a four door?

Yes. There aren't enough four doors on the market?

GM is trying to appeal to a larger group of folks so they can sell cars. There was a time and place for the GN, GNX, GSX. That time is gone now.

I'm not going to either criticize or praise the styling. Everyone's got their own opinion of beauty in a car, so I have no issue with that. But, GM "trying to appeal to a larger group of folks so they can sell cars" is what got them into trouble in the first place. GM blindly changed as much of its RWD car production to pickup truck production as they possibly could, when they should have known full well that the contemporary pickup demand was unsustainable. And in the passenger car world, they're all guilty. There are way, way too many four doors that with different name plates yet with obvious signs of inbreeding.

The Town Car and Fleetwood were more exciting cars than much of what we see these days. At least those two vehicles didn't make any bones about what they actually were.

Don`t get me wrong,I do like this new Buick,but it should NOT wear the GN/GNX nameplate. It`s a disgrace to the original and the GN/GNX heritage should be left alone,period. This current Buick would be better suited wearing the Park Avenue/Electra/Le Sabre nameplate.

Don`t get me wrong,I do like this new Buick,but it should NOT wear the GN/GNX nameplate. It`s a disgrace to the original and the GN/GNX heritage should be left alone,period. This current Buick would be better suited wearing the Park Avenue/Electra/Le Sabre nameplate.

+1.

How many of you would feel fine with having the Corvette or Camaro, Mustang, of Viper name used on this 4 door Buick car, instead?

Would turning the Corvette into a 4 door family car be fine with you?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Is everyone upset that it is a four door?

Yes. There aren't enough four doors on the market?

I'm not going to either criticize or praise the styling. Everyone's got their own opinion of beauty in a car, so I have no issue with that. But, GM "trying to appeal to a larger group of folks so they can sell cars" is what got them into trouble in the first place. GM blindly changed as much of its RWD car production to pickup truck production as they possibly could, when they should have known full well that the contemporary pickup demand was unsustainable. And in the passenger car world, they're all guilty. There are way, way too many four doors that with different name plates yet with obvious signs of inbreeding.

The Town Car and Fleetwood were more exciting cars than much of what we see these days. At least those two vehicles didn't make any bones about what they actually were.

Does it really matter if its 4/2 door? For the most part nobody I know cares about that- except my grandfather. He thinks coupes are more sporty. Why does it matter how many doors it has? Personally I'd always go with 4 given the option- far easier access to backseats and no real downsides imo.

Bladecutter,

Here's the truth. The old 2 door was a terrible handler, had lousy brakes, and questionable build quality. Creaky bodies and a front end that simply understeered no matter what. They weren't even that fast, just competitive with most stockers and easily modifiable.

The new car easily exceeds EVERY single parameter you can name, and will get decent mileage too! And it can be had with a stick shift!

This car does the name PROUD in every way.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

+1.

How many of you would feel fine with having the Corvette or Camaro, Mustang, of Viper name used on this 4 door Buick car, instead?

BC.

Well I can say this, it would be odd but I could live with it if the performance stayed the same or got better.
Even so the GN/GNX were short lived and only hold a lot of worth with car folks.

The names you put out are household.
I bet 98 percent of the world knows what a Corvette, Camaro or Mustang is.
If I called my mom right now and asked here what a GN or GNX was she would have no clue, but I know she knows what a Camaro, Mustang, Corvette and Viper are.
A Camaro is a Camaro,
A Corvette is Corvette
A Mustang is a Mustang
A Viper is a Viper.
A GN is a Regal
A GNX is s Regal...Kind of like you have a Camaro Z28, RS or SS. Kind of like you have Corvette ZR1, Z06 or Gran Sport or Mustang GT, 500 Etc etc.
Lots of folks might not know what a GT is or a ZR1 is.

My Mom knows what a Regal is, but not the sub set that was made in the 80's called the GN or GNX.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

+1.

BC.

Well I can say this, it would be odd but I could live with it if the performance stayed the same or got better.
Even so the GN/GNX were short lived and only hold a lot of worth with car folks.

The names you put out are household.
I bet 98 percent of the world knows what a Corvette, Camaro or Mustang is.
If I called my mom right now and asked here what a GN or GNX was she would have no clue, but I know she knows what a Camaro, Mustang, Corvette and Viper are.
A Camaro is a Camaro,
A Corvette is Corvette
A Mustang is a Mustang
A Viper is a Viper.
A GN is a Regal
A GNX is s Regal...Kind of like you have a Camaro Z28, RS or SS. Kind of like you have Corvette ZR1, Z06 or Gran Sport or Mustang GT, 500 Etc etc.
Lots of folks might not know what a GT is or a ZR1 is.

My Mom knows what a Regal is, but not the sub set that was made in the 80's called the GN or GNX.

Well, let's flip the coin:

If the name means NOTHING, why even use it?

They want the people who do know what the name GRAND NATIONAL means, to take an interest in this new 4 door sedan. If they didn't, why even use the name? Call it the CTX, for Pete's Sake.

They want the people who know the Grand National name to react to this new car.
Those of us who do know the name, have reactions. Mine is negative.

Also, I owned an '81 Pontiac Grand Prix, so I know exactly what the Grand National was based off of. It was my first car, so it, and all of its badge mates, have a special place in my heart.

And the GNX was famous for beating the best GM had to offer back in the day on the drag strip, quite easily. It was the point when GM finally started to expand their technology departments, and start catching up with the rest of the market.

Again, the GN/GNX name does have value, otherwise they wouldn't be using it.

BC.

I understand that, and for the most part you are right but, that alone won't sell that many cars.

I bet when they threw GS/GSX on my model Regal it didn't help sales, what sold it was that at the time it was introduced it did a bunch of stuff better than the base model.

A few things I learned from reading this thread.

If Hyundai built this car, people would be drooling over it's awesomeness.

Since it's a Buick with history, and saddled with the GN/GNX name, it will never live up to the false memories of the past.

Those that complain about it not being available as a coupe would never buy it no matter what.

Time progresses, but people do not. The days of giant underpowered V8's are over. Small displacement high power is the future, and a lot of people don't like what they see.

People on the internet are very negative. This looks to be a incredible car, and there are 6 pages of mostly negative comments. I hope those people are more fun in real life.

There are still people that hate GM.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Its the styling that needs help. They all look the same, cars for those over 75 , heading to the 5:00 buffet.

And I suppose the sacred Camry, Avalon, etc. do NOT?!?!
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Its the styling that needs help. They all look the same, cars for those over 75 , heading to the 5:00 buffet.

And I suppose the sacred Camry, Avalon, etc. do NOT?!?!
confused2.gif

I don't like those either, the camry is really cookie cutter.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Does it really matter if its 4/2 door? For the most part nobody I know cares about that- except my grandfather. He thinks coupes are more sporty. Why does it matter how many doors it has? Personally I'd always go with 4 given the option- far easier access to backseats and no real downsides imo.

I'd prefer they get rid of the back seat, too, but that's another issue.
wink.gif

People just like to complain, their was a period not to long ago when a Viper had 400hp and it was like OMG that's so much power.

Now GM's new TT V6 has that.

So keep complaining about nothing, those that do don't usually buy new cars anyway.

I'm glad to see GM is starting to offer more fun sedans so instead of having to just buy German to get a fun sedan for under $40k you can now buy American. Not everyone wants to drive the dish washer of cars, ie a Toyota.

Why don't they bring back the Regal T-type? I would buy that!

2425_Buick-Regal-T-Type_7.jpg

^^^ My across-the-street neighbor has a 1990 Caprice Classic (last year of that style) and in this Regal, it pretty much screams "2-door Caprice! 2-door Caprice!" from the front of the hood (style is different, yes, but, underpinnings...) - to the doors. Then the back changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back