The Big Test: Midsize Sedans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Mazda 6 wins again! (and I've lost count of how many other tests it has already won here, AND in Europe!)

Wait, I thought you Mazda people were happy when it doesn't win, as being the winner just demonstrates that it's blase enough to appeal to the masses?
wink.gif

Variety is good. Mazda just hit the sweet spot this time around.

Quote:
and the engine never feels like it's wanting for more.
I am not a native English speaker but I suspect he means exactly opposite of what he wrote there!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
and the engine never feels like it's wanting for more.
I am not a native English speaker but I suspect he means exactly opposite of what he wrote there!

Nope, you're right! That's a very strange sentence.

Originally Posted By: MotorTrend
When we asked ourselves which vehicle we'd purchase with our own money, we unanimously voted for the Mazda. Its combination of good looks, strong fuel economy, excellent road manners, roomy rear seat, and engaging powertrain give the Mazda the one element that all its competitors seem to lack: a real personality. In a beige-and-taupe segment, the Mazda adds a big splash of red. And that's something we wish more automakers would achieve.

This paragraph right here sums up the huge change that has occurred with all of Mazda's lineup over the past couple of years. The best part is that the Mazda 2 and the Miata are still to come (Miata will be unveiled on my birthday, Sept 3rd).

Of course, some people don't want anything more than just a Camry, and would never appreciate the Mazda 6 (or any of Mazda's offerings for that matter) for what it is - a better driver's car. If you like getting behind the wheel and going for a drive, the Mazda 6 is the better car.

Unfortunately for Mazda, that's not the core customer for this segment of vehicle, but Mazda has always been more than okay with not being anywhere close to the lead in this segment.

What I do know is that here in Colorado, I have been seeing a huge increase in shiny new Mazdas on the road over the last few months. CX-5's, Mazda 6's, and Mazda 3's are making their existence known out in traffic. The car company that people and journalists thought was in serious trouble just a couple years ago, does not appear to be having the issues anymore.

And I, as a Mazda enthusiast and as an owner, am very happy that Mazda's put it together so well, while others, like Suzuki and Mitsubishi have faltered and stumbled.

BC.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I thank God every day that we have a lot of choices.

Mainstream is not for me...

Ditto!!!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Mazda 6 wins again! (and I've lost count of how many other tests it has already won here, AND in Europe!)

Wait, I thought you Mazda people were happy when it doesn't win, as being the winner just demonstrates that it's blase enough to appeal to the masses?
wink.gif

Nope - being winner in SALES means it appeals to masses.
smile.gif

And Mazda clearly loses there ( = good)

Being winner in contests done by auto mags that put DRIVING EXPERIENCE and other performance oriented tests, etc, WITHOUT giving a [censored] about name popularity, repeat buyers, resale value and sales figures and blind following/hype means it's GOOD when it wins such contests
wink.gif

(I remember one auto magazine chose the Accord as winner sometime ago and the 6 as 2nd - the only time the 6 lost I think - and had an apologetic sentence at the end as a disclaimer, saying that in THAT contest, they had to choose winner based on what would appeal to US car buyers, but if they wanted to choose what THEY as automobile testers/drivers would like to own, it would have been the 6.
smile.gif
- i might try to find that article, don't remember which site/magazine it was)

For $26K...honestly, forget that entire group, I'll take a V6 Charger! Just built one on Dodge's site: $24,990 with the Pentastar & 8-speed trans.

I'm curious how the reliability is of the Skyactiv engine family.

How Mazda sees the intake valve deposit build up issue:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/i...technology.aspx

Quote:
"To eliminate the problem of intake valve deposits that plague current direct gasoline injection engines, the engineers at Mazda determined that deposits are formed when intake valve temperatures fall below 400 degrees C. Measures were taken so that the intake valve would operate above this point to reduce deposit formation."

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm curious how the reliability is of the Skyactiv engine family.

How Mazda sees the intake valve deposit build up issue:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/i...technology.aspx

Quote:
"To eliminate the problem of intake valve deposits that plague current direct gasoline injection engines, the engineers at Mazda determined that deposits are formed when intake valve temperatures fall below 400 degrees C. Measures were taken so that the intake valve would operate above this point to reduce deposit formation."

No issues showing up on any Mazda forums yet. My mechanic said my valves looked great at 30k miles using his boroscope but I do burn off any deposits fairly regularly if they did happen to build.

Being winner in contests done by auto mags that put DRIVING EXPERIENCE and other performance oriented tests, etc...

I'm sure the 6 drives well. Give the car who beat it in all of the instrumented testing credit, though. One car out-accelerated it. One car out-braked it (actually, two cars). One car out-gripped it. One car out-figured-8'd it. And, like the last test, it did it on 18" wheels vs. the 6's fancier 19s. I'm sure that the 6 has a good chassis. There's one other car that at least hangs with it, if not out-performs it.

Different cars will feel different to different people. Things like "driving position", "chassis response", and "ride quality" are subjective things. You can like one better than the other, and that's fine, but instrumented tests show the level of performance that the chassis is capable of, and they separate the subjective feel from the physical capability.

Both the Honda's chassis and the Mazda's chassis are clearly a good bit ahead of the others'. You can't go wrong with either one.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
For $26K...honestly, forget that entire group, I'll take a V6 Charger!

Only if it could be had with either a manual transmission or paddle shifters. The 8-speed is very frustrating, and a deal-breaker, even if I do prefer RWD (and I do). Is the 5-speed still available? That'd be okay with me, and would be my choice over the 8-speed.

This is the way Honda's used to be! At or near the top in ALL catigories. Where no other car company could say that about their offerings! Other cars would only be rated so,so to high(er) in 1 or 2 catigories but Honda was rated High or Highest in all.

This is what kept me buying Honda's in the past. I couldn't believe how well they did everything I had asked of a car.
smile.gif

For $26K...honestly, forget that entire group, I'll take a V6 Charger! Just built one on Dodge's site: $24,990 with the Pentastar & 8-speed trans.

Glad you like it, but no thanks for me, and most of the people who actually are shopping for a mid size car. Plus, and Mazda 6 drives way better, in just about every category, when compared to the Charger.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Glad you like it, but no thanks for me, and most of the people who actually are shopping for a mid size car. Plus, and Mazda 6 drives way better, in just about every category, when compared to the Charger.

BC.

If only mazda made a rwd 6.... I should try a Charger sometime, my presumption is that its a big fat turd, but it might surprise me? The tracker in rwd is fun on gravel, and its really got nothing good going for it other than light weight.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The Mazda may be great, but people still aren't buying them (around here at least).

What are you talking about? Olathe and JoCO in general are full of Mazdas. Tumminia Mazda is having no problems moving Mazdas in Olathe and same with Premier on state line and OP Mazda. CX-5, Mazda3, Mazda6, they are everywhere right now.

Go in there and try to talk them down on prices and you won't get very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back