The 3000 hour barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of talk about commercial OPE engines going bad around 3000 hours. In order of most likely to fail, what is going wrong with these engines.

Huh? I've got a dozen air compressors with a 5.5 hp Honda engines with well over 3000 hours,likely a few with double and triple that. The only failure I've seen with them in the past decade are the carbs getting inconsistent and needing adjustment and one seized because the guys ran it empty for days.
Change the oil often and keep it tuned properly and they will be reliable. Abuse will destroy any engine and most people aren't bitogers,hence failures.
Just my opinion

never heard of that RE: 3000hrs for OPE to start dying off.

The oldest B&S I've worked on has at least 3K hrs on it, smokes a little but nevertheless, still has reasonably strong compression.

I think this is wwayy overexaggerated, just like 3k oci on cars, city cars never go more than 100,000miles without suffering from engine breakdown, etc.

Q.

The EPA has "expected lifetime hours" for certifying stuff but those hours are nearly pure fiction. Believe the shortest interval for 2-stroke stuff is 125 hours.

10 years ago most weedeater brand blowers and trimmers had an expected lifetime of 50 hours.

I had 2800 hours on a Kohler 25HP engine that ran perfectly when I sold it.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
10 years ago most weedeater brand blowers and trimmers had an expected lifetime of 50 hours.

I had 2800 hours on a Kohler 25HP engine that ran perfectly when I sold it.

I dont know about 50 hour expected life...

but the EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE life.. maybe.

Barkleymut said.

“http://www.epa.gov/nonroad/equip-ld/ph2nprm/ph2rsd-9.pdf

good info here about 2 cycle engine”

long article, and a little hard to digest, but the summery chart on page 9-3 is interesting. It covers 2 and 4 cycle equipment. It goes on to say that the implied lifespan from the buying habits of consumers is about 7 years or 35 to 394 hours. And the implied lifespan from the buying habits of commercial users is about 3.75 years or 390 to 3024 hours.

My take on this is that the average consumer is not to bright and throws away the OPE when it starts to have problems. And the commercial people work harder to maintain it.

"My take on this is that the average consumer is not to bright and throws away the OPE when it starts to have problems. And the commercial people work harder to maintain it."

I completely agree.

Last edited:
I've seen some testing done with roller crank bearings, since they've been deemed to be one of the limiting factors. The failures are from load during operation, which occurs regardless of how well it is lubricated.

Just Noting that 3000 hrs equals 100 k miles on a car so it's a lot of work for the general ope.
Quite reasonable, but still... Needs to be well made and maintained

It is all about how well the equipment is made. Commercial stuff is great, homeowners junk is just that. My Stihl BR400 blower is now 14 years old and is running great. My Echo 26cc trimmer is 12 years old and running great. Literally ZERO maintenance on either unit in the past six years. Try that with your homelite, weedeater, poulan, etc.

Originally Posted By: wally6934

My take on this is that the average consumer is not to bright and throws away the OPE when it starts to have problems. And the commercial people work harder to maintain it.

Or they are very bright. Buy the $99 mower and run it for 2-3 years. When it acts up, any repair is more than it's worth. Pitch it and buy a new one, $33.33 a year if it makes it to year 3.

It's even a worse deal on a cheap weed wackier or blower. You're better off pitching it and buying new vs the cost of a repair at a shop.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: wally6934

Or they are very bright. Buy the $99 mower and run it for 2-3 years. When it acts up, any repair is more than it's worth. Pitch it and buy a new one, $33.33 a year if it makes it to year 3.

It's even a worse deal on a cheap weed wackier or blower. You're better off pitching it and buying new vs the cost of a repair at a shop.

Yep. From a strictly cost angle buying cheap throwaway equipment makes a lot of sense for homeowners. I bought a cheap $70 weedeater that gave good service for 6-7 years. I replaced it with an Echo for around $250. I have to keep the Echo for 20 years in order to break even on the cost. And it's surely going to need some odds and ends along the way. Not a big deal for me since my mower is an almost 30 year old John Deere 185 but for the avg Joe, he's not going to keep stuff running that long. Riding mowers would be the same way. The cheap $1200 lawn tractor is most likely going to give you 5 good years. You're going to spend 5x that to get anything built much better. 25 years is a long time.

I use the stuff others toss out, cost for the most part is zero...

A couple years ago I did spend approx $80 fitting a good Honda engine to a old Snapper pusher, similar new was $700...

hatt, that Echo trimmer WILL last 20 years. You may have to replace a spark plug, fuel and air filter. And maybe chisel out the exhaust port. Also grease the shaft and linkage once in that 20 years. Let us know in 2033 how it is doing
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back