Terrible oil sample analysis!!-Mobil 1 5W30-1,627 Miles-2005 Nissan Titan 5.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your input...Look, I realize I lost money on the deal, but peace of mind, time, hassles, ulcers
tongue.gif
, etc. just were not worth it to me. So I eat some $$$...I feel OK about the decision, and that's what matters.

As I stated before, I could have fought it but suffering through a possibly painful and time-consuming process, AND more time, is that I'd rather have a new vehicle as opposed to one that's been torn apart and re-assembled.

In addition, the TSB on the brakes...more time....we could debate on and on...but I'm not. This is my final post about this...I feel fine with my decision.

BTW, the new truck is GREAT, ran it about 150 miles today...no squeaks, rattles, runs fine, flawless paint, and you can barely hear the motor run. Very happy at this point.

This thread can now mercifully die.

quote:

Originally posted by VicTitan:
ekpolk wrote:

The bottom line IMHO, is that

1) problem goes away...Nissan's issue now
2) 2006 truck with full warranty
3) Nissan could of and should of just swapped me out even up...I should not have had to pay anything, and for all this crap, called it a wash. But I DID make the choice.
4) I'm $2000 poorer
frown.gif

Anyway, I'm picking up a 2006 Titan SE tomorrow, and as long as it's OK after a comprehensive inspection and test drive, done deal. I need to get on with my life.

Thank you all for your valuable input...special thanks to Terry Dyson, Bill in Utah, ekpolk and warrior pilot.
worshippy.gif

Amen!
I think you got hosed, no offense. I wouldnt do that deal. Your only valid point is # 1. Your warranty did you no good for your 05, so why would it on the 06? WHen you say 2000 poorer, are you counting sales tax and finace charges on the new truck if your financing? You may be losing out more than you think. I would demand a new truck first, then new motor. Get a loaner paid by them and you save 2000.00 and will have a new warranty on your new engine anyway.

05 Tundra:

Hey, hosed or not is his call. And his wty DID him good -- it was the leverage that allowed him to get relief (whether or not you think it was appropriate). You also seem to assume that they would have just done your bidding -- demand this, demand that and they'll just say, "OK, sure, here you go. . ." He did demand a swap -- they refused. New motor? Hey, I'd pay some to have a new truck vs. my old one having suffered an engine transplant (major surgery...). If you don't mind being embroiled in an extended battle with your car maker, fine, don't do the deal when your number comes up. In the meantime, it's time to respect VT's choice and move on.

VicTitan,

Did Nissan confirm that your oil usage was approximately 600 miles/quart? I was just wondering what your negotiating process was with Nissan....whether you showed them your UOA and demanded work be done (or trade allowance) or you went with their consumption test. Let's face it....99.9% of all dealers and manufacturer's are not going to be willing to swap vehicles or engines based solely on a UOA. I respect Terry and his profession, but vehicle manufacturers are sort of "behind the times" when it comes to solely using UOA's to help diagnose engine problems. Maybe in the future that will change as engines become more expensive and technical.

If it would have been my truck, I would have waited until Nissan could document the oil consumption and then wait for their response. Going into the dealership with a UOA and demanding a trade or repair just wasn't going to happen.

quote:

Going into the dealership with a UOA and demanding a trade or repair just wasn't going to happen.

I'm sure Vic is done with this thread. He is happy and thats all that counts.

As far as the above quote.

Terrys report and UOA got a MFG to repair my V6 with headgasket leaks OUT OF WARRENTY.

$1200 worth!

So, it DOES happen.

Terrys report and UOA does carry some weight.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

In addition to the UOA from Terry, I'm sure you had some information on how much antifreeze you were adding to your vehicle to help them come to the conclusion that a repair was needed.

Nope. It was not loosing enough coolant to measure.

I did a single UOA with Terry and it came back with Anti-freeze in the oil.
shocked.gif

The wear metals was still low so it was the start of a leak that would only get worst. Terry confirmed this.

I went to the dealership and since car was out of warrenty (3yr/36k and I had 61k miles at 3years) they said "out of warrenty,so tough"..
nono.gif

I then asked if their engines are to last only 61k miles before they get a coolant leak?
crushedcar.gif

They said no. I talked to the MFG and they wanted more info other than one UOA. Terry said to do a coolant test (to see if it had oil in it) which they did and it came back postive.

Durning this time, I went ahead and got the engine torn down and it was determined that the headgaskets were the cause.

The MFG said that they can not determine if my operation of the car was not hard (it was Hertz Rent-a-car for the first 20k and I bought it as a buyback from my local Dealer) or if the maintenance was not followed.

They asked for Maintenance records. Since I only changed oil (did better than the manual WHICH HELPED) they wanted the logs and receipts.

I provided that and since I could prove that I drove it well, maintained it better than they required by the manual(used the correct Dino oil and changed it out sooner than the 7500 miles required), showed that on a $10 oil change I spent another $40 for a UOA to keep track of my engine (who would do this if they did not care for the LONG LIFE of their engine???) , made them my new hobby
grin.gif
they decided that having a v6 needing headgaskets at 61k was not "normal" so they covered the repair.
cheers.gif

I did quite a few more UOAs after the repair to show the MFG that it was ok.

Terry and a UOA saved me some SERIOUS $$. PERIOD.

If I did not do the UOA in the first place, I would be driving the car and trash the engine. Or wait till it got so bad that the oil color changed and damage the engine more.

Instead, the UOA showed a early problem that would not affect the long life of the engine IF I got it repaired quickly.

I will not run a car/truck without doing a UOA once a year and if I have any questions on it, Terry gets the $.

Money in the bank IMO.

As far as Titans engine, we don't know if it was the repair, the possible out of spec oil (I'm more in that camp) or what it could have been?

But, it is possible that a UOA with Terrys letter gets things moving..
cheers.gif

Esp if you want to make the dealership/MFG your hobby..
twak.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill in Utah,

In addition to the UOA from Terry, I'm sure you had some information on how much antifreeze you were adding to your vehicle to help them come to the conclusion that a repair was needed. What I am trying to say is that I pity anyone that runs a UOA early in a vehicle's life and the UOA comes back with VERY HIGH wear numbers without any other indications of a problem (high oil or antifreeze usage). I can't imagine there are two many dealerships/manufacturers that will authorize a repair or rip open an engine just with a slip of paper (UOA) supplied by a customer with no other indications of a problem...and any dealership/manufacturer that would repair a vehicle with a UOA alone (from a professional interpreter such as Terry), should be commended.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

I am buying Ford or Chevy next time, and I don't care how many rednecks from Kentucky moved to Detroit to make those cars.

Hmmm....
The biggest money maker in the Ford system, often reffered to as the "Jewel" of vehicle operations is in Kentucky, and slated to stay there.
Why would the fine folks of Kentucky even consider relocating to such a disfunctional wallow as Detroit?

Rednecks? Wow.

[Off topic rant off]

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:

Trade it for a Ford and be done with the headache. If the Truck still has a warranty let someone else fight with Nissan.

Of course the truck is still under warranty.
pat.gif

How 'bout a Toyota Tundra...
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]

What self-respecting person would buy a Toyota???
[/QUOTE]

Umm, just a guess, but I'd say a person who cared about quality, reliability and long term value would be a likely Toyota customer.

What do I know though. I just think that because the 2 Toyotas I've had have been far and away the best vehicles I've owned out of 20 or more of assorted brands...

I retired my F250 last year with 325,000 on it.
Just recently sold it as I was running out of room.
I hope that the new owner appreciates me breaking it in for him.

I considered Toyota, as they are one of my customers...but any 1/4 mill mile Toyotas I've seen were beaters.

My last Ford looked and drove almost like day one. Builted by unejamacated rednecks.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaybird:

I considered Toyota, as they are one of my customers...but any 1/4 mill mile Toyotas I've seen were beaters.

Everyone knows that Fords last longer than Toyotas
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tim:

quote:

Originally posted by Jaybird:

Everyone knows that Fords last longer than Toyotas

That is the most inteligent statement in this entire thread.

Why is thread still going? The truck is history and has been traded for a new one.
twak.gif
Please lock.

Bobert -- you're so right -- this thread has outlived its usefulness.

And MC5W20, if you too would like to actually add value by making intelligent posts you should:

1) Spell the word "intelligent" correctly when using it to characterize other members' posts.

2) Stop making posts that are riddled with basic errors. For example:

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
Umm, I agree. What is your point. Ford owns 33% of Mazda. So what is your proof that Ford calls the shots when they are in minority control of Mazda. If your going to make unfounded claims be prepared to be called out on your bull****. I guess the possibility of 5w20 oil being superior to the others never crossed your mind.

Since the thread's not dead yet, might as well have some fun with this one...

Wait, don't tell me, you must be that guy Ned from the FedEx commercial -- you know, the one who's always wrong. As in the commercial, let's review:

1. I did not say that Ford "calls the shots" at Mazda. I neither know nor do I care about the precise details of the relationship between Ford and Mazda. Wrong Ned.

Now, that said, are you denying that it's a close relationship??? Take a look at www.ford.com and guess what you see -- Mazda is listed as one of the Ford brands (go see for yourself right here). Hmmmmmm, there's a hint about the relationship. Beyond that, there are a lot of Fords out there with Mazda genetics and Mazdas with Ford genetics. There are a lot of Mazdas running around with Ford engines, and so on. And surprise, surprise, virtually all of them drink 5w-20.

2. Where on earth did you get the idea that "the possibility of 5w20 oil being superior to the others never crossed [my] mind"??? Please speak for yourself. In the two years I've been a member here, I've reviewed at least 90% of the 5w-20 UOAs that have been posted. I've been reading on the stuff longer than I've been here. In fact, it's pretty obvious at this point that 5w-20 is good stuff in the engines meant to take it. So, you're wrong again Ned.

I guess your were right about one thing -- if you're going to make unfounded statements, you should be prepared to be "called out" on them.

[rant off
wink.gif
]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back