teflon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

The sub-micronic particles of PTFE in Synlube, is colloidally suspended together with MOS2 and graphite in a mixture of synthetic lubricants.

I have used Synlube, and it does what they say. I had it inside one engine without changing it, for more than 73000 kilometers, but drained it, since I was going to try the RVS stuff.
I have taken care of the oil, but I will use it later.

If I don't use it, I just send it back to Synlube, and I get back $32 for every liter (the same as I paid when I bought it).

Synlube will be the lowest cost oil to use, for most people.
They just don't know it.

Not one single report of it messing up any engine, since they became commercially available, in the end of the 70's.
Impressing!

Last edited:
I don't know how many miles are in 73,000 kilometers (I could find out but it is not really important) but I would never drive any car or truck an excessive amount of miles on one oil change no matter what oil I was using or what kind of supposed super supplement was in the oil.

Oil has always been cheaper than an engine. I would rather change the oil than the engine.

If I am going to error, I will error on the conservative side.

Most people buy conventional motor oils and you can get five quarts of conventional oil at Wal-Mart (especially during a sale) for somewhere in the area of ten dollars. I cannot imagine the thinking of a person who would drive a car or truck they cared about for 25,000 miles on one change of Valvoline or Pennzoil. The oil costs all of ten bucks or so!

I have heard that Pennzoil Ultra costs about a dollar more than Pennzoil Platinum. Five quarts of Pennzoil Ultra, especially in the five quart container, probably costs about what a bottle of Auto-RX costs. And we know the Pennzoil oil is approved by the car manufacturers! If the stuff cleans as well as they claim a person could probably clean an engine (unless the engine was a terminal case) with Pennzoil Ultra. A few OCI intervals might have the engine almost clean as new-unless the engine was just too sludged up to start out with.

It would probably be money better spent trying a Pennzoil Ultra oil change rather than buying Auto-RX! At least the Pennzoil is approved. If an engine was not too dirty on the inside the Pennzoil Ultra would probably get the engine clean enough.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: Shannow
You won't find that stuff in my kitchen.

It's OK on coal chutes and hydros.
I agree here, that no-stick coating will release toxic chemicals when at a certain tempurature. No non-stick utensils for me.

Do much cooking above 600F?

Hi, Mystic.

If you divide 73000 kilometers with 1,609, you will find that the number in miles are 45370 miles.

The point about Synlube, is that it gives you less wear with this oil and OCI of 100000 miles, than if you use Pennzoil Ultra and change it every 100 miles! (of course, the engine should be clean inside, to begin with).

It is very hard for an American to understand this, since the thought "more is better", is so common "over there"
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest

I agree here, that no-stick coating will release toxic chemicals when at a certain tempurature. No non-stick utensils for me.

Ever leave a hotplate on by accident ?

Ever leave a hotplate on by accident ?

Could it be compared with forgetting to turn off the engine?
whistle.gif

What is the relevance?

The longest lasting motor oil that I am aware of is Amsoil. Amsoil recommends 25,000 miles or one year the last I heard with most of their motor oils. They had some oils that were supposed to last 35,000 miles. So even using Amsoil, 45,000 miles (73,000 kilometers) is a bit long for me. I think at 25,000 miles I would be satisfied that I had gotten my money's worth out of that oil change. Of course in Europe maybe the motor oils there are warranted to last 73,000 kilometers. I suppose with railroad like locomotive filtering and a very large oil pan (and using an oil like Amsoil) 73,000 kilometers would be within reach.

I don't know about Europe but in the USA (where 'more is better') I don't think any automaker would accept 73,000 kilometer oil changes if there was an engine problem.

How much does the Synlube cost? Maybe without the Synlube you could afford TWO oil changes in 73,000 kilometers?

It has been my experience that people throughout the world are more alike than they are different and stereotypes are almost always wrong. I have meet in my travels people from all over the world. My brother has been in over 100 countries. But if you want to believe that it is very hard for Americans to understand various things that is fine with me. I personally will never accept any stereotypes about people from Norway or anywhere else. I will keep myself above all of that.

You see, I am an American. But I AM capable of understanding that stereotypes about other people is not worthy of a person who truly knows anything about other people throughout the world.

Car companies are doing everything they can to reduce maintenance costs. Lube for life transmissions, bearings, steering components, gear oil... If Synlube actually worked the car companies would be all over it.

Precisely right Tempest! If Synlube was really such a great product the automakers would probably already be using it. But it is easier to have lifetime lube in areas like transmissions than in the engine where there is contamination from fuel, dirt, engine combustion byproducts and so forth.

I hate to admit I actually used a PTFE containing product. Well, live and learn. But I will never use some sort of PTFE product ever again in an engine.

At this time I am about 90% convinced that Johnny was right. Just use quality motor oil. At least we know a quality motor oil meets specs. We don't have to guess if the strange PTFE or whatever supplement product will harm an engine or not. I say 90% convinced because I still wonder about the need for some internal engine cleaner because of abused engines or sludge monster engines or very high mileage engines.

Personally myself I am going to give this Pennzoil Ultra motor oil a trial. I don't have to worry that it might destroy my engine like some potentially dangerous supplement might. And if I don't like the Pennzoil Ultra I can just go back to using conventional motor oil.

I can hardly wait for the first UOAs of Pennzoil Ultra to appear here.

Last edited:
What evidence is there to show that Synlube doesn't work? PTFE is just one component in it's make up.

Car companies are doing everything they can to reduce maintenance costs. Lube for life transmissions, bearings, steering components, gear oil... If Synlube actually worked the car companies would be all over it.

I believe it should be read as the car company do everything to reduce their cost during warranty period..

See my other post that clearly show the car manufacturer may not want to reduce cost for customer benefit:
"Although GM has not officially settled on an amount, they are moving forward with plans to charge a licensing fee and royalty on all Dexos engine oil sold. The original estimate had a licensing fee of $1,000.00 per year for each oil marketer, with an approved Dexos product, and a royalty fee of $0.32 on every gallon sold, worldwide."

First of all, I must say that it is great to see that Mystic and Tempest have found each other.
You seem to be at the same level, in ability to learn something new. Probably in other ways, too.

I have also learned that Tempest won't understand it, no matter how simple it is, as long as it is written.
This can be seen over at the "other board" at the end of the Synlube tread, where a practical demonstration of an IQ, matching his shoe size , is given.

And you really think so?
Even though they will lose hundreds of millions, because several million people suddenly won't need to come over to get their oil changed, every 3rd or 4th month?

And remember, Tempest(and Mystic), I have used Synlube and you don't.

I guess you know what you are talking about, then?

When I use an oil without changing it, for more than two and a half year(45370 miles), and see and feel that it still is performing like the day I poured it in the engine, I know that this is some extraordinary good oil.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand this.

About rocket scientists, NASA has also been using the Synlube, and I do believe that they where testing it, before they did.

Of course, I know that you think you are a lot smarter than the people working there.....

I just haven't seen any proof of it, yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jonny-b

And you really think so?
Even though they will lose hundreds of millions, because several million people suddenly won't need to come over to get their oil changed, every 3rd or 4th month?

The car companies wouldn't care about that. Only the car dealerships make (or lose) money on service appointments.

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
And remember, Tempest(and Mystic), I have used Synlube and you don't.

I guess you know what you are talking about, then?

When I use an oil without changing it, for more than two and a half year(45370 miles), and see and feel that it still is performing like the day I poured it in the engine, I know that this is some extraordinary good oil.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand this.

About rocket scientists, NASA has also been using the Synlube, and I do believe that they where testing it, before they did.

Of course, I know that you think you are a lot smarter than the people working there.....

I just haven't seen any proof of it, yet.

Did you change the filter in those 45,370 miles? That oil had to be a mess when it came out, even if you changed the filter every 10,000 miles? I'd like to read your observations, that is one extended OCI!

Hello, Demarpaint.

Yes, I changed the oilfilter two times, but the first time after some 10000 miles, I think. The oil didn't and don't look much different from what it is new. But, remember that it is black-greyish in coulour, because of the graphite, MOS2 and PTFE particles(30% of the oils weight, if I am not wrong).

What I was most surprised about, was the reduced oil consumption, as well as it making the hydralic valve lifters quiet, after some 1000 miles(this had been a problem since I bought the car, and two ARX cycles and one treatment with Restore, did nothing).

What I also saw, was that the dipstick became gradually cleaner and cleaner.

The car now has 476000 kilometers(296000 miles) on the odometer.

Last edited:
If this car had been converted to Synlube, when new, this is the distance the oil is guaranteed for(changing oil filters must be done, of course).

Another positive matter, is the fact that the engine is given a written guarantee against oil-related breakdown, if you start using Synlube before you have driven some 6000 miles(they have the exact number on their homepage).

If you also consider that you get back money(the same you paid for it)when/if you return the oil, I think this should be a good deal.
Synlube get more for the used oil, since they sell it to the US government(read more at Noria), so this is a win-win situation.

To sum it up;
-You have an oil that performs better than all other oils
-Your engine is insured, if you start using it in a new engine
-you don't have to use your time to change oil, but can use time saved, to do other maintenance on your car
-You don't have to drive around, looking for oil bargains
-Your engine will wear less, than with any other oil
-your engine will still perform as new, the day you decide to get rid of it(because of some strange attitude, this is seen as very negative, from many people on this board)
-Because of the above-mentioned reason, it will use less fuel
-The pollution will be less.

I think these things should come into consideration.

He gives excellent service, and has always been responding to my questions(and there has been a lot of them, before I decided to go for it).

Last edited:
I thought we were getting a bit off track here talking about motor oil but if Synlube contains 30% PTFE by weight then there is some relevance. Anyone know the PTFE content level of Tufoil?

For that matter what is the PTFE content level of today's Slick 50? If you go to their website they don't even mention PTFE.

The content of PTFE,MOS2 and graphite combined, is some 30%.
If the amount of them are equal, the PTFE part should be some 10%.

Tufoil also contain soluble Molybdenum, but I have read somewhere that the amount of PTFE is 0,9%.
I didn't find the excact number now that I searched for it, and it can also be that you end up with 0,9% PTFE in the oil when you use the recommended amount of Tufoil. If that's the case, the number is higher.

I have read here on BITOG, that todays Slick50 doesn't have any PTFE in it.
I found an article, that says this:

"We are the original Slick 50 formula," states Bill Smith, President/CEO of Xcelplus. "When a customer buys Slick 50 today, a brand owned by Shell Oil after they bought Pennzoil/Quakerstate, that consumer is not getting the original formula. They're getting a reverse-engineered formula that doesn't stand up to the original formula's research and scientific claims. If they want the original formula, with all the credible US Department of Energy claims to back it up, the formula that built the Slick 50 brand, they can find it in a bottle of Xcelplus.

Don't know if this is correct, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back