Tactical first aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious what items do y'all put into your go bags for tactical first aid? Stuff that would be beneficial for shooting, travel, work etc..

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
yucca,

To start the list: QuickClot (the military version --for gunshot wounds).

Gary

Thanks I'm putting some gear together for some training we are doing over the next 12 months. Many of these items should transition to everyday stuff. On top of what is offered in the most basic boxed first aid kits.

Israeli battle dressing is another item.

For travel.Cord for tourniquet, bandages, tape( elastic tape) , Liquid benedryl, folding knife. I also carry a small 18650 650 lumen flashlight, with an extra battery and the charger for traveling. There are a couple of brands of ink pens that you can carry that would be useful for self defense when you can't carry other items.

Go to the veterinary supply and get some horse iodine...it's concentrated, and ridiculously cheap, and is (at least my neck of the woods) Potassium Iodide and iodine in alcohol, not that hospital orange stuff. (if you throw a cotton wool ball of the stuff in the trash, the iodine fumes stain the paper in the trash also...plain iodine).

Can be used for wounds, making water safe(r), and protecting your thyroid from fukashima.

edit... http://www.pharmachem.com.au/MSDS/2010 IodineWK MSDS.pdf
is the one I get.

Last edited:
Tactical first aid is pretty simple; a bunch of gauze, a bunch of ace bandage and coban, wound wash, an assortment of band aids, medical tape, bacitracin, tourniquets, trauma scissors, forceps, hemostats, quick clot (if you have the budget for it) and whatever else you like.

When someone says "tactical First aid" that generally means gunshot and laceration wounds that cause major bleeding and soft tissue damage. Burns and broken bones can also happen but those injuries require more of a long term treatment. Basic splinting and pressure dressings are all you generally need for them.

Comfort items such as toilet paper, foot powder, sun block, bug repellent, pain killers and water treatment might be helpful too, depending on what type of bag you are building. Get all the basics first, then have fun and be creative.

Training first, then equipment.

Tourniquet, Quik Clot ACS, and israeli bandages are in my first aid kit.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
The nearest Tactical Emergency Room? :p

Given the remote location of many shooting ranges which will delay ambulance service and/or prevent cellphone calls, being prepared is a good idea.

OTOH, we're more likely to have to deal with a heart attack on the range than a gunshot wound.

Did anyone mention a tampon? I laughed the first time someone suggested it. But it will stop bleeding from a GSW or stab wound very fast.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
The nearest Tactical Emergency Room? :p

Today I drove 65 miles from my place of work to a dirt road. When I hit the dirt road I drove another 27 miles to a job location. Almost 100 miles from the nearest clinic. If I was able to get cell service I would imagine help would be a minimum of an hour and a half away. Maybe a little less if their was a chopper available and ready to react.

Everyday is different. I do have both OSHA and MSHA first aid training. I'm taking on some extra training in my spare time.

I just don't live in a world where there is help on every corner for every situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back