Synthetic Purolator now on their web site

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many "off the shelf" oil filters have synthetic media and a wire mesh backing to the filter?

I can only think of one filter....The Fram Extended Guard filter.

I'm not too sure about the Bosch D+.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
How come these are "only" 99% efficient @ 25 microns vs. the 99% @ 20 microns for PureONEs (except the four smallest filters)?

More flow for longer OCI's?

Def. using this filter. Just used my last p1.

Last edited:
Wondering what the beta ratio on this purolator synthetic is for small micron particles? I Couldn't find it on the purolator site for any filter. I recall a wix for the Honda appp has a B 2/20=6/20 a B2=6 seems pretty good for a full flow traditional element. IIRC that calcs to a 83% at 2 micons. Thats getting the fine stuff out. Comments?

wix Part Number: 57356
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 363
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Last edited:
Quote:
I recall a wix for the Honda appp has a B 2/20=6/20 a B2=6 seems pretty good for a full flow traditional element. IIRC that calcs to a 83% at 2 micons.... Comments?

No idea if that is the Wix beta or not, but the beta you referenced (red) is 50%@6um and 95%@20um. I see no 2um level in that beta.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
I recall a wix for the Honda appp has a B 2/20=6/20 a B2=6 seems pretty good for a full flow traditional element. IIRC that calcs to a 83% at 2 micons.... Comments?

No idea if that is the Wix beta or not, but the beta you referenced (red) is 50%@6um and 95%@20um. I see no 2um level in that beta.

+1 ... sayjac is fluent in beta speak.

^^^^^^Had a good instructor.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: steveh
Bosch DP clone?

Looks very similar. Probably an updated PureONE combined with some of the features of a Bosch D+.

I'd like to see one of each(BD+ and these new Purolators) cut open side-by-side.

13.gif

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
How come these are "only" 99% efficient @ 25 microns vs. the 99% @ 20 microns for PureONEs (except the four smallest filters)?

Towncivilian,

The Pure Ones say it traps 99.9% of dirt and the fancy synthetic version only says it handles 99%.

In my truck I always use a synthetic oil along with a Pure One and it works fine for me although it may not last 10K like the synthetic version.

Durango

to heck with efficiency they brought the old BLUE back-with textured grip no less. When these become available, think I'll just throw my M-1 filters overboard in favor of the blue ones

Quote:
Quote:
Bosch DP clone?

Looks very similar. Probably an updated PureONE combined with some of the features of a Bosch D+.

I'd like to see one of each(BD+ and these new Purolators) cut open side-by-side....

Meh. BD+ does not have mesh/wire backed fully synthetic media as this PS does. The BD+ is a synthetic blend with no mesh backing.

This appears to be Puro's answer to Wix's new Platinum filter and similar fully synthetic filters like RP and others that have been around a while.

Doesn't make the BD+ chopped liver though. BD+ has a slightly higher holding capacity. I'm currently running one two oci's.

I'll be more interested to see how the PS is priced. Blue textured can is an interesting touch.

Quote:

My understanding of Beta under ISO4572 is: BetaX=y where X=particle size in micron and y = beta ratio for that particle size. Could someone show me otherwise? I could be incorrect as 83% at 2 microns seems too fine a seive for a full flow filter with paper composite resin media.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Quote:

My understanding of Beta under ISO4572 is: BetaX=y where X=particle size in micron and y = beta ratio for that particle size. Could someone show me otherwise? I could be incorrect as 83% at 2 microns seems too fine a seive for a full flow filter with paper composite resin media.

Referenced beta shown 2/20=6/20 means 2/20=6/20 which mean 2 equals 50% (1/2)@ corresponding 6um. The other 20 (1/20) is 5%, meaning the filter is 95% efficient @ 20um.

Or, courtesy of ZeeO6 is the beta chart

Beta Ratio -- % Efficient
2 -- 50.00
5 -- 80.00
10 -- 90.00
15 -- 93.33
20 -- 95.00
25 -- 96.00
30 -- 96.67
40 -- 97.50
50 -- 98.00
75 -- 98.67
100 -- 99.00
125 -- 99.20
250 -- 99.60
500 -- 99.80
750 -- 99.87
1000 -- 99.90
2000 -- 99.95
5000 -- 99.98
10000 -- 99.99

That's otherwise.

I appretiate the explanation/clarification, I understand ISO beta rating but I am unfamiliar with WIX presentation of multiple micron ratings as it DOES NOT FOLLOW ISO std nomenclature AFAIK. Do you the have a link to the ISO std for WIX rating? Never seen it written this way (backward to std nomenclature) is this something wix made up out of the blue? Makes NO SENSE. As the micron rating should be fixed and the beta variable. Also if what you show is true, whey would wix spec beta on some filters with 40micron particulte that have a nominal 19 micron rating. Still sound backwards. In the mentime I will try to contact WIX. I am nottrying to be difficult but with something like this I need direct references to accepted standard of a letter from wix R&D.

Originally Posted By: Durango

Towncivilian,

The Pure Ones say it traps 99.9% of dirt and the fancy synthetic version only says it handles 99%.

Thats not and accepted rating and is pretty much meaningless. Ignore it. There are industry stds for ratings. Put in in the trashcan with "Fully Synthetic Oil" terminolgy that is absolutely meaningless - just advertising blather as most all synthetic sold by the majors is NOT synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back