Synthetic Oil Test on "TRUCKS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
Suppose you're cruising down the interstate and happen to look down and your temp gauge is pegged out....I'd feel a lot less bad knowing I had the best synthetic in there at the time.
Syn won't help you there. Look at how an engine is designed. And where the heat is.

It's my belief it would help. An engine on its way to self destruction due to overheating will go through a series of events before a catastrophic failure occurs. I'll bet that series of events would take longer with a good synthetic than a fair dino. Maybe enough longer that I notice a symptom before there's a catastrophe.

I thankfully have no personal experience in this regard but, I don't believe God put oil down there to lubricate my motor that was developed through science and engineering technology. I have to believe that modern chemistry labratories can create a much more suitable lubricant. These synthetics are getting better at a rapid pace too....you'll one day drop your argument for conventional oils...I'm sure of that.

But but but Castrol just looks so clean when I pour it in my engine from the bottle!!
43.gif
45.gif

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
Hi.

It is very interesting to see how well indoctrinated most Americans are, when it comes to dino vs syn.

Did you ever consider the fact that a phenomena called "sludge" is almost only present in America?

In Europe, where it is normal to use TRUE synthetic(group 4 & 5), and OCI of 10-20000 miles, sludge is almost non-excistent.

I don't rule out dino, but I just can not see the benefit of using a lower quality product(in most cases), unless you want to "use up" the engine, before your car rusts away.
That seem to be a frequently used excuse for not using synthetic oil.
Personally, I would like the engine to perform as it was new, the day I deliver it at the wrecker.
Isn't it better to drive a car that performs as intended?

Besides, an engine in good shape, consumes less gas(and diesel), than a [censored] one.
But I guess you think the gas is cheap?

Am I missing something?

No Jonny....you're no missing anything. For every car I've sold in the last twenty five+ years I'll point out to the potential buyer that I've always run synthetic in it.....a nice selling point it seems.....worth a few buck right there.

No major engine problems over nearly a million accumulated miles....(except one pos mistubishi).

It seems about half of us here in the states are "old school" in many ways.......I don't see that changin' anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
so only $6 more for protection? Any thoughts or am I just going back to the sloth pile so to speak?

I wouldn't say you're getting more protection per se. What you are getting is the ability to run longer intervals. If you're doing 5k on mineral, you may be able to do 10k on synthetic, so in the long run, synthetic may be less expensive, plus you're saving yourself some labor and helping save the planet (if you're a tree hugger type
grin2.gif
).

The only downside to running synthetic for me is that it may give some tree-hugger a warm&fuzzy feeling due to the longer intervals. I try to offset it buy shooting something and eating it and throwning another log(dead tree) on the fireplace.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
I try to offset it by ... throwing another log(dead tree) on the fireplace.
Sorry to burst your bubble but that act is mostly carbon-neutral!

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
I try to offset it by ... throwing another log(dead tree) on the fireplace.
Sorry to burst your bubble but that act is mostly carbon-neutral!

Totally carbon neutral except the fuel it might take to cut/split/haul it if that's your method. It's also renewable energy!

it may give some tree-hugger a warm&fuzzy feeling due to the longer intervals. I try to offset it buy shooting something and eating it
Oh, I should have noticed - that's also carbon-neutral. We have a closet tree-hugger here!

Let me see if I get this right:

You want to use dino, so that you can have an excuse to change oil more often, and because of this, you use more oil, so that the US need to import more, and because of this, Iran and Saudi-Arabia will become more wealthy, because of higher oil prices?

Is this so very smart, really?

I don't know, but I would really like to be enlightened.

I find it interesting...

Last edited:
this thread whent way off topic, too bad

what oils did they test in this advertisement setup? some un named dino oil versus Royal Purple(boy they love to advertise the H out of this stuff on powerblock for YEARS)

I woulda like to have seen this test with all the different synthetics being used and then seeing their results. However, I might be skepitical of that as well... who knows maybe they picked a test that really didn't matter to a car engine, but made the RP look good.......

Originally Posted By: mmmmoil
My local wal-mart has the Shell synthetic 5w-40 on sale for $7.

$7/quart would be more than normal ($5/quart), $7/gallon would be a steal based on the normal price of $20/gallon.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
a gallon of castrol 10w-30 is $14 from Wal-mart and Rotella 5w-40 syn is $20, so only $6 more for protection? Any thoughts or am I just going back to the sloth pile so to speak?

Is castrol 10w30 designed for diesel engines? I don't think so. I don't care how cheap it is, I would not use it.

Either 15w40 conventional oil or 5w40 synthetic. That's pretty simple.

You want to use dino, so that you can have an excuse to change oil more often, and because of this, you use more oil, so that the US need to import more, and because of this, Iran and Saudi-Arabia will become more wealthy, because of higher oil prices?

I find it interesting...

Makes for a nice sales pitch, but I have tried Grp IV, Group III, and Group II in my semi which covers around 140,000 miles a year with an average gross weight of 73,000 lb. I have not gotten any advantage over using a full synthetic in fuel savings or change intervals. The wear numbers have been virtually the same. I have settled in on a grpIII/grpII blend that has given me the best results of all I have tried. The OCI intervals and wear numbers show the best when using the grpIII/II blend I am using now. It's all a matter of cost to me. When an oil change involves 10 gallons of oil, I'll let the smaller vehicle drivers play with the boutique oils. But to another of your points... most of our imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela in that order.

Had to add to the above comments...

It doesn't matter if we drill oil here, get it from other NA countries, or ship it from the Middle East or Africa.... it is all the same price. Oil is a global commodity and pricing is global. We should drill our own right here since we are sitting on more oil in and around the U.S. than the Middle East.

Oh well.... life goes on. Albeit, stupidly

Originally Posted By: mmmmoil
My local wal-mart has the Shell synthetic 5w-40 on sale for $7.

I would bet that if you checked with a local commercial distributor or ag supplier, you could get it priced much lower. You would only have to buy a case and it would probably be in gallon jugs.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Had to add to the above comments...

It doesn't matter if we drill oil here, get it from other NA countries, or ship it from the Middle East or Africa.... it is all the same price. Oil is a global commodity and pricing is global. We should drill our own right here since we are sitting on more oil in and around the U.S. than the Middle East.

Oh well.... life goes on. Albeit, stupidly

Or...maybe it would be smarter to buy their oil while it's cheap and save our reserves for a time when their wells have gone dry?

You could look at is national security...a national treasure to save for hard times...peak oil will occur one day.

I feel like running synthetics is a situation based decision. If you buy a truck and want to run it 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles, or want to extend the OCI, then run synthetics. A good grp 3 synthetic is less than 10 dollars a jug more than its dino counter part. Your talking 10 dollars over 5000 miles or more, so what. I decent synthetics like QS, PP, M1 ect because the price difference means nothing compared to maintaining and fueling the vehicle. It gives me piece of mind knowing there is very good oil in there that over the long haul has less of a chance of deposits and buildup. That said, i do feel like in many cases it just is not needed. I am buying a little mercury mystique with 60 k miles on it for 1500 dollars. I plan on running the car about 5 yrs. There is no need for me to run synthetics in it because im very confident that any good dino will make that engine last as long as im going to have it. I guess my summary is if you have something nice, why not throw synthetics in it. There not that expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

I find it interesting...

Makes for a nice sales pitch, but I have tried Grp IV, Group III, and Group II in my semi which covers around 140,000 miles a year with an average gross weight of 73,000 lb. I have not gotten any advantage over using a full synthetic in fuel savings or change intervals. The wear numbers have been virtually the same. I have settled in on a grpIII/grpII blend that has given me the best results of all I have tried. The OCI intervals and wear numbers show the best when using the grpIII/II blend I am using now. It's all a matter of cost to me. When an oil change involves 10 gallons of oil, I'll let the smaller vehicle drivers play with the boutique oils. But to another of your points... most of our imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela in that order.
Some let their preconcieved notions get in the way of facts. I would say that TiredTrucker has the facts and experience through the miles of running that expensive truck with uoas and his pocket book as proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back