Synthetic oil in a riding lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rclint
This is from several engine tear downs, or head removal for routine maintenance which should be done every couple of years (2-3) to remove carbon build up.

If you are having to remove the head every 2 to 3 years for routine maintenance you are doing something WRONG.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott

If you are having to remove the head every 2 to 3 years for routine maintenance you are doing something WRONG.

Actually, B&S recommends pulling the heads every 100 hours. Mainly on the L-head/Flat head engines, especially if it is knocking. The OHV engines, Briggs recommends checking the valve lash every 100 hours.
Link It is also in the Factory Service Manuals and some Owner's manuals.

The carbon tends to build up in the older L-Heads, due to the combustion chamber design.

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineerscott
Originally Posted By: rclint
This is from several engine tear downs, or head removal for routine maintenance which should be done every couple of years (2-3) to remove carbon build up.

You`v got that right !

I've recently tried several other brands, but keep coming back to Rotella T 5w40 Syn - now T6. Great Syn. that's commonly available and Heavy Duty at that.

I've owned a few L-head engines and presently have one on my 30 year old lawn mower. NEVER pulled the head off of any of them.

If that requirement is in the B&S manual, maybe it's time for B&S to review it. Sounds a bit out of date to me.

14 yr old B&S 14 hp.
15-50 M1 summer, cheapest 5-30w synth winter.
Not enough consumption to add between changes.
Seafoam at changes, stabilized fuel year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back