Switch from 5w30 to 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Toyota has just released a TSB that states some Toyota/SCION engines can now use 5w20, I have been researching trying to decide whether to move to the 20.
I live in SoCal, and the summers are pretty hot.
I also spend my mornings on the freeways in mostly stop 'n' go traffic for 25 miles...

What do you guys think about the move?
Should I just stick with the 30?
I'm going to go to synthetic (likely, but not only considering M1) next week as I hit 5k miles on the engine.

Discussion is appreciated.

Scott

quote [Discussion is appreciated.]

I have to say that a 20w would be just fine in your climate.Free flowing lightweight oil will pass by components quicker and more often than a slightly heavier oil so my thinking would be cooler running engine. I'm trying 5/0w20 in my wifes car and pending that outcome may even try it in my 5.3 truck engine...

5w-20 will work just fine. If the manufacturer says it's ok, then fear not. Pretty much all the Xw-20's are great oils, so close your eyes and pick one and be happy
cheers.gif

OK, thanks for the feedback so far...

I got caught in the transition - car was delivered and recommended to run 5w30, so this just came out and I want to be sure it's OK.

Are you guys saying 20 is better than 30, or does it even matter?

Scott

Ignoring for the moment any warranty considerations, it matters very little. If it was mine I would use a 5w30 synthetic and never look back. That weight and type of oil will lubricate and protect your engine no matter when and where you drive.

If you can use the 5w20 (your vehicle is covered by the TSB) then give it a try and evaluate your cars response to it. I suspect that 5w20's are getting more technology built into them than current 5w30's and are simply better more advanced formulas.

I finally got an oil cooler on my car and am about due for an oil change. Here are the stats:

*Engine: 1997 Toyota 1MZ-FE w/ about 70,000 miles
*3-5psi oil pressure drop noted at cold temperature startup (down from 80psi) after the oil cooler was installed.
*Oil cooling system uses a remote theremostat as shown here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v232/sbcelicagt/Celica V6/Oil Cooler/
*Oil now heats up more slowly. My daily commute is less than 10 minutes and previously the oil temp got up to about 185 and today only got up to 165.
*Additions increased the total oil capacity by about 1 quart.
*Engine Condition:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012771;p=1#000000
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002110;p=2#000029
*Engine in 2700lb car so loading is less than original application (3300lb Avalon)
*Car used at open track weekend twice a year (8x20 minute hot laps per weekend).
*Oil temps up to about 270 on the track and would go higher if I drove harder (I’m more of a 7/10ths driver rather than a 9/10ths at this point)
* Warm (~200 degrees) oil pressure at idle was about 25psi prior to installing the cooler. I haven’t driven the car far enough yet to know what the new warm idle oil pressure will be.
*Oil temps and pressures measured here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/sbcelicagt/Celica V6/oilports.jpg
(I believe these are ports that come after the filter but before the rest of the engine, but that's only a guess.)

I'm debating whether I will want to have this current OCI analyzed considering it may show contaminants from changing the oil pan. I also cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve, but I recall taking it off the engine before washing it down. I never solved the oil leak (might be the upper oil pan) so I usually add about 2 quarts per OCI and recently added a 3rd with the oil cooler installation.

Based on this information, would it be a wise idea to change from RL 5W30 to RL 5W20 to assist with the low temperature lubrication?

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Adrian

What?! Do you not see the dates? The previous post was made almost 6 months ago. It's not a thread hijack. It's that I didn't think my inquiry warranted it's own thread when this thread had similar content and wasn't active.

Though I'd appreciate the opinions just the same, I thought I'd let you know I went ahead and ordered up a couple cases of RL 5W30 yesterday because I'm in need of an oil change before my next track event. I'm probably going to cover up the oil cooler for the daily commute and see how that improves the situation.

If the TSB didn't cover your year engine, stick with that 5w30. So, you have a swapped 6 cylinder Celica FWD??

Nice work even though I hate zip ties. The only thing different that I would've done is use a remotely mounted filter(bigger) in place of the cooler's sandwich adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back