Swapping Michelin Cross Terrains: Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one who is rather particular about tires, and would rather test-drive a set before I buy. One rarely gets that opportunity in the tire market, but I have a unique situation in that both of my vehicles have nearly the exact same tire size, and in this particular tire make and model, the difference in actual size is even smaller than the nominal size would represent.

2005 Acura MDX: P235/65R17 Michelin Cross Terrain. OEM on this very vehicle.
2008 Honda CRV: P225/65R17 Michelin Cross Terrain. OEM on the Ford Escape with the 17" tire option.

The actual dimensions (from Michelin's website) are extremely close. The Section Width | Diameter | Revs/Mile | Weight are listed for each:

P225/65R17: 9" on 6.5" | 28.5" | 730 | 29.23 lbs.
P235/65R17: 9" on 6.5" | 28.9" | 726 | 28.92 lbs.

You can see that the section width is identical, diameter and revs/mile are as close as it gets for being two different sizes, and the weights are also nearly identical. Curiously, the larger tire being slightly lighter. Both of my vehicles have 6.5" wide wheels with identical offsets and nearly identical weight. The MDX wheel may be a touch heavier; it measured 54 pounds on the bathroom scale with the tire (wheel: 25 lbs). The CRV's wheel/tire weighed 53.5 lbs (wheel: 24 lbs).

I swapped these across today because the Cross Terrains on the MDX felt so much nicer than the ones on the CRV, and I wanted to find out how much of that difference was the vehicle and how much was the in the tire itself. As it turns out, I think it's mostly in the tire. I will compare the "Acura" tire with the "Ford" tire, as those are the OEM customers for each of these. I also adjusted the air pressure to match each respective vehicle (MDX: 32 psi; CRV: 30 psi) to make sure I was comparing apples to apples. The tread depth on the Acura tires here is 9-10/32" and on the Ford tires, about 6-7/32".

When I mounted the Acura tire on the CRV, I immediately noticed a decrease in rolling resistance. It seems to roll out of the garage much easier and seems to roll around parking lots easier with no gas or brake use. I also perceived a moderate difference in steering effort. The Acura tires felt very light on their feet. The Acura tires seem to require less slip angle before they generate cornering force. I don't know if that's possible with the only difference being the tires themselves, but that's what it seems like. The opposite effect was noted in the MDX: with the Ford tires mounted, you really had to saw the wheel to get it to generate some lateral traction at higher speeds.

As far as ride, there seems to be a clear advantage to the larger Acura tires. The Ford tires have a sharper impact feel than the Acura tires, but the Ford tires also have a squirmier feel as well. I didn't really notice that in the CRV much, but when I installed the Acura tires on it, a slight increase in stability was felt. The larger difference was the Ford tires on the MDX: I felt a moderate decrease in stability, and the vehicle felt wandery at speed.

This really illustrates to me how much an OEM-type tire's performance depends on the particular OEM customer in that size. Although the Ford and Acura tires are nearly identical in size (and absolutely identical in actual tread pattern), the rubber compound and internal construction appear to conspire to make dramatic differences in how the tires perform. The Acura version also appears to wear much better. Although I will confess that I don't know the number of miles that are on these Ford tires, I do know that it can't be more than 20,000 based on the DOT date on the tires and the miles on this car at the time. I suppose it's possible that they were installed used, but given the meticulous service history of the car, I doubt it.

In short, I absolutely recommend the Michelin Cross Terrain in the P235/65R17 size. It's a quiet and capable tire that handles excellent and delivers good wear and excellent traction (I can also vouch for its excellent snow traction). However, I absolutely do not recommend this same tire in the P225/65R17 size. It doesn't have the stability (despite having much less tread depth in this case!) that the P235 version has, nor does it have the road manners. I believe it wears much faster as well.

I will leave them like this for a few more days, and probably swap back this next weekend. I like the look of the Acura's wheels on the CRV, and don't really care for the Honda's wheels on the MDX.

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

Jason,

Very interesting - but a couple of thoughts.

First is that with the different tire sizes and different inflation pressures, you have a different set of load carrying capacities. While adjusting the tire pressures may seem to be the right thing to do, you also needed to compensate for the tire size change. When you put the larger Acura tire on the CRV. you actually used too much inflation pressure. You should have used something like 26 psi. That would have changed your perception of the rolling resistance.

Going back the other way, the Ford tire on the Acura needed 37 psi tro get the same load carrying capacity.

But changing inflation pressure also changes the tire's spring rate - and that has implication for ride quality.

To say these things are complex isn't giving it justice.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Thanks for the post. The Acura tires definitely felt firmer on the CRV than they did on the Acura. Of course, some of that is in the vehicle, but it did feel like I had 34 or 35 psi in the Acura tires on the Honda, but they were only at 30 psi.

I'm looking at buying a new set of the P235/65R17 (Acura version) Cross Terrains for my CR-V in the spring. Would there be any negative aspects from running them at 30 psi? On the Acura, these are wearing very well, so I expect even better on the CR-V, being a lighter vehicle. Because the actual tire dimensions are so close, I see these as a reasonable option as replacement tires for the CR-V; what do you think?

Both are T-rated.

P225/65R17 100T
P235/65R17 103T

Capri, I should note one more thing: the CR-V actually calls for a 225/65R17 102T. Mine has P225/65R17 100T installed, but the OEM spec is a 102T at 30psi. What, then, would the ideal inflation correction be if installing a P235/65R17 103T?

If I may - a straight metric tire with a load rating of 102 has a load capacity of 1631 pounds at 30 psi. To match this point on the load-inflation curve for a P235/65R17 103T, you'd want to have your pressure set at 25 psi, and I'd bet you'd be throwing a TPMS warning light whenever the temperature dropped 10 degrees.

My RAV4 comes stock with a 225/65R17 101H tire, and I'm currently running a 235/65R17 108H XL tire that weighs six pounds more than stock (yeah I know - whole lot of unsprung, rotating mass there). Regardless, I actually find that I get the best ride/handling tradeoff with the pressure set at 35 psi (placard pressure is 32 psi) - or a rated load capacity roughly 500 pounds more than what my stock tire and placard pressure gave me. The tires are almost down to the wear bars after three years and 60,000 miles, and I haven't had any more wear in the center than on the shoulders.

The way I see it, the object of setting your inflation pressure should be to get the best ride and handling you can while meeting the OE load capacity - any overkill isn't going to hurt anything as long as you're not getting excessive wear in the center of your tread (or grossly over-inflating the tires).

This is the part I really enjoy about tires. There's a lot of complication and un-necessary precision when we start to talk about load carrying capacities at differing inflation pressures.

First is the principle that tires don't behave differently just because they are designed to different standards. It's the physical dimensions that make the difference and they are all the same regardless if they are P metric tires, Euro Metric tires, and - oh - what should we call the ones designed to the Japanese standards? Japo metric? Nah, that doesn't work! Let's leave that alone for now.

And the tires involved. Well for the Acura, those are P metric. And the ones for the Ford are also P metric, too!

Personally, I tend to think 100% in the P metric load tables - and as flawed as those are, there isn't a lot of difference to the other 2.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that everyone needs to be careful when juggling tire sizes and making comparisons. This is a really complex area.

I agree with your assessment. I wasn't impressed with the OE Cross Terrains on my Mariner at all. In fact, I was very disappointed based on the hype and reviews. Then again, I can't remember a 1 OE tire that has been good -- on any vehicle I've had.

I really like the Cross Terrains on the Acura. I think they did a great job with those. In fact, I think those are what I'll be putting on the Honda in the spring.

OE tires I've rather liked:
Michelin Cross Terrain on Acura MDX
Michelin Energy MXV4 on Toyota Camry
Michelin Energy MXV4 on Ford Fusion Hybrid
Bridgestone Turanza EL42 on Acura TL
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 on Acura TL
Goodyear Eagle RS-A on Ford Fusion Sport

OE tires I've rather disliked:
Bridgestone Turanza EL42 on Chrysler T&C
Goodyear Integrity on Dodge Grand Caravan
Hankook DynaPro RF08 on Ford F-150
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on Chevy Silverado
Continental CT95 on Ford Taurus

The OE tires on my 05' 4-Runner are Michelin Cross Terrains too, and I think they are the best set of tires I've ever owned.

I ran into that with some other michelins. I had used them previously with great luck and then they came OEM on a new car I bought. They were terrible. I replaced them with the same size and model, but non-oem from tire rack and they were great.

There are so many variations of a particular tire in a given size, it is a miracle we are able to match all 4 tires at once. I am currently running tires on my car that are bad. They are replacing the same continental tire that was on it previously that was much better. Except that these are XL rated - I thought that meant Extra Load, but it appears to be Xtra Loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back