supertech oil vs Pennzoil yb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I call group I,II and think II+ mineral or conventional. I call group III, III+ etc synthetic
21.gif
. Isn't that how the oil companies call it as well?

Does a conventional SM or SN but non-ILSAC like 10W40 or 20W50 contain only group II?

To get back on topic, Pennzoil and all the major brands would be better than Supertech. Supertech meets the specs but is more like a bulk oil IMO.

So are you saying that oil that comes in 55 gallon drums is of lesser quality than oil you go into a parts store and buy a quart of? Why is it that so many people believe this to be true?

Because there are oils not just in bulk but various packaging that while meeting SN/GF5 just meet it and can have a different additive pack with less calcium etc than the major premium brands. At least that was the case under SM but I haven't checked recently.

So your not referring to bulk oil in general just store brands of oil. I could not prove it but would find it very hard to believe that pennzoil bulk is any different from pennzoil in a quart or 5 quart container.

Mobil's base bulk oil has a different add pack than their Super 5000 does. It's listed right on their website.
Their base bulk oil is not available in bottles.

I'm not saying the oil is different because of packaging, bulk vs bottles. It can be different because it is a different product line. For example, Mobil use to have Mobil Clean 5000 in bottles as their premium conventional, and Mobil Clean available in bulk that service centers like Jiffy Lube were using. You could get the equivalent in bottles as an economically oil, I think it was labeled Exxon Superflo. Also you can get higher quality bulk oil.

edit: What Justin said

Last edited:
I did not know that about the mobil product line. There seems to be alot of paranoia about bulk oil in my area. I think it is just a mistrust of the facility using it.

Originally Posted By: dew
Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
First of all.... Dino is a retarded term and has little science behind it. Crude oil comes from the earth's core, not dead dinosaurs.....

+1 I'm going to try not to use the term "dino" either. I think crude is constantly being produced at the core, and in that sense is a renewable resourse.

Congrats on learning about the most recent studies. I remember when the [censored] School i was in taught that Oil come from a Brontosauros... (Which Brontosaurous is a hoax)... and they tried to spook up into Global warming theory.

The most recent evedence is that Oil comes from the earth's core, and bubbles up kind of like Lava. There are some once completely dry wells that now have a little back in there, and that lead to them actually throwing the fossil fuel idea out of the way.

Oil actually does renew itself.. but pretty darn slow. I am sure as we find ways to get the most out of every barrel, we'll likely see oil be considered a renewable resource.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: dew
... I think crude is constantly being produced at the core, and in that sense is a renewable resourse.

!???!

Right....

ST (typ XOM or WPP) should be as good as any major that meets Ilsac GF5 - small and big cos have historically sent out misformulated oil, though I havent heard of any major in the past five years with an issue unless it was a contract repackager that intentionally used substandard lube in a bulk container. Go to PQIA and do some reading about some shenanigans of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back