Supertech a Group 2 or Group 3 based oil?

I understand that EM's EHC can be combined with Group III base stocks to meet Dexos1 Gen 3. However, can Walmart legally market Super Tech Full Synthetic oil as a full synthetic (Group III) if the base oil used in the formulation is a combination of EM's EHC base stocks and Group III?

I understand that EM's EHC can be combined with Group III base stocks to meet Dexos1 Gen 3. However, can Walmart legally market Super Tech Full Synthetic oil as a full synthetic (Group III) if the base oil used in the formulation is a combination of EM's EHC base stocks and Group III?
I would like to know that also.

There are no laws in the US (or anywhere else besides Germany for the matter) regarding marketing terms such as “synthetic”. Just as there was no “lawsuit” in the Mobil/Castrol marketing dispute. I’m not even sure it’s a law in Germany or some sort of other requirement.

Makes licenses, specifications and approvals most significant.

Last edited:
Mind you that Group I, II and III base stocks aren’t determined by the production process only by the resulting level of saturates, sulfur and the viscosity index.

Who said Super Tech Full Synthetic is using EHC?

From my understanding of the literature, 5w-30 is the only viscosity cited to achieve dexos1 with EHC p to now.

Screenshot_20231015_112744_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20231015_112226_OneDrive.jpg

There are no laws in the US (or anywhere else besides Germany for the matter) regarding marketing terms such as “synthetic”. Just as there was no “lawsuit” in the Mobil/Castrol marketing dispute. I’m not even sure it’s a law in Germany or some sort of other requirement.

Makes licenses, specifications and approvals most significant.
It is a law afaik in Germany, i remember readind last year that Motul had to pay a pretty big fine for selling Group III oils as Vollsyntetisch in Germany.

If it's Group III in Germany it's usually labeled as HC-Synthese or something similar.

Hypothetically yes, since there are no guidelines regulating the composition of synthetic oils. It has morphed into a term that is used to define performance level.

can Walmart legally market Super Tech Full Synthetic oil as a full synthetic....
Legally ? What law(s) define "synthetic" ? One could argue that the addition of additives make it "synthetic".

Hypothetically yes, since there are no guidelines regulating the composition of synthetic oils. It has morphed into a term that is used to define performance level.
Not really. It still means a process such as severe hydrocracking where you’re assembling precursors, not just “cleaning” the base stock. Chevron for example does not call their “Group II+” base a synthetic.

Not really. It still means a process such as severe hydrocracking where you’re assembling precursors, not just “cleaning” the base stock. Chevron for example does not call their “Group II+” base a synthetic.
True, the term does signify a certain amount of refinement, but there is ultimately no governance on how the term can be used for marketing finished products.

Chevron calls it Synthetic Technology.
Correct.

Bumping this thread.

I forgot that i had asked this question to Chevron/Havoline in 2020 (about their Synthetic Technology). And they divulged only that the Synthetic Technology has more Synthetic base than their Blend.....

1698771442025.png

1698771496460.png

Last edited:
Back