SuperTech 7317 cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the ST I purchased primarily to look at the new ST centertube design, and posted pics in this thread. The filter seems well made with an interesting seam/joining pleat as shown in the second pic. The base plate in quite heavy, especially compared to the can thickness. Centertube design/holes seem consistent, but I will cut the media off later and post pics. Media area ~67.5 sq. in., cost $2.84.

ST7317004.jpg

ST7317003.jpg

Very nice photos. I plan to use this ST 7317 next oil change with SUPER TECH CONVENTIONAL 5W20! Look forward to seeing a ST 7317 cut open after 5,500-6000 miles!

thanks for the photos and that filter looks good to me to use. We use CHAMP LABS FILTERS at my work with good results also.

adam vasbinder

Few more pics. Though a bit skimpy on the media area, solidly made. IIRC, used to list an efficiency rating on box, no longer.

Through dome end.
ST7317006.jpg

Media at joining seam which seals toward centertube.
ST7317008.jpg

Centertube and endcaps. Base endcap was relatively easy to remove with a little effort. Dome end, not going anywhere.
ST7317011.jpg

Very nice pics!!

and I will have to admit that is a pretty good looking filter.

Last edited:
Did the media seem sturdy, and was it well glued? I think the real test is after an OCI, but a decent looking filter. A lot of folks use that particular one on motorcycles.

Looks like a good value filter.
I know motorcycle riders that use the ST filter. I use the Harley filter on one bike, Purolator Pure One on another, and NAPA Gold on another. I wouldn't have any problem using the ST if I needed to. I think I have a ST filter in the garage as a back up for one of the bikes that replaces the Pure One should it be needed.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Did the media seem sturdy, and was it well glued? I think the real test is after an OCI, but a decent looking filter. A lot of folks use that particular one on motorcycles.
Yes, it's cellulose/paper type media, not super thick, adequate is the word I'd use. And, very well glued.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Why do the slits in the outlet tube face towards the bypass valve and not the outlet of the filter?!? That's what I want to know.
You would have to email/contact Champ for that answer. But as said, and pics show in this and other (walmart filter help) thread, the holes are consistent and plentiful.

What is somewhat curious, the centertube opening design here is at the opposite end of the spectrum when compared to the Champ Ecore design.

For all the good here though, it's no media area leader by any means. Especially when compared to others like a Classic/P1 14610 with ~105sq.in of media.

Good design, needs a little work at the seam, but not a huge issue since it's got a solid center tube.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Why do the slits in the outlet tube face towards the bypass valve and not the outlet of the filter?!? That's what I want to know.

The tubes do not need to be orientated in a particular direction. Liquids under pressure will flow in the path of least resistance.

Perhaps that explains the difference between this 7317 here and (if accurate) the shorter 6607 pic posted on the walmart help thread, centertube oriented in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Originally Posted By: sayjac
ST7317006.jpg

Someone thinks this won't outflow a Honda oil pump??

Try one with 50~75% of those slits closed up.
wink.gif

They are closed. If you have one of these in your hands you can clearly see that the tooling should open a louver both top and bottom of the punch. Some examples of the filters are fine, with openings top and bottom clearly visible.

The ST7317 I sent to Champion labs had 100% of the bottom louvers closed and 25% of the top ones closed. The ones that were open were only open 33%-50% of the area of a filter that had a properly formed double louver. It had ~25% of the opening it was designed to have.

Ed

Because the ST 7317 'in this thread' is consistent with the openings all open when viewed from the base end, I cannot make the leap here and say that this particular 7317 centertube is not as designed, ie., that both of the paired louvers should be open. Also, can't speak to what other have observed, but without dissection IMO, those observations are unreliable.

Now, if poster above did dissection/examination (not exterior observation) on the filters mentioned with reported results, then Champ could have an issue. It will be interesting to hear Champ's response

That said, looking directly at the dissected centertube now, it does 'seem' logical that both top and bottom double louvers/slits should be open. "If" this is case, Champ has a serious center tube stamping issue, and a recall would be in order. Just have to wait and see.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The ST7317 I sent to Champion labs

Thanks Ed. They will get to the bottom of this.

The 2 I have in my stash are older production and have a different center tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back