Super-charged GM 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw that you have a lot of GC on hand. Why not try it again in the new one and see if you get the same results? It will give excellent wear protection. Hard to believe a dramatic mpg drop.
dunno.gif
, especially if you have to take a loss on selling the GC.

Don't forget the oil in the supercharger. It needs to be checked/changed. The GMC/Buick dealer carries it, but I heard of others using a high quality synth.

Edvanp is right, the L67 isn't really that picky. I can't really recommend 0/5w20 in it, but any good oil with a hot viscosity of 30 should be fine. 10w30 M1 would work great if you find that for some reason you have mileage issues with the GC.

I just bought a '99 Buick Regal GS. This model comes standard with the super-charged 3800 Series II engine. What oil would be best in this engine? I prefer Amsoil or Mobil 1. My experience with GC in a previous 3800 and my 3400 have resulted in a measurable loss of mileage.

Congrats on the new purchase. GC works for me.
grin.gif
If not for you, then I had good enough experience with M1 10w-30, that I would probably run the M1 EP in it. Amsoil is fine choice too. I like the ATM, but if gas mileage is a big concern, there may be a better choice.
cheers.gif

I have a 97.5 GS w/the SC engine. Great car, I love it. These engines run pretty well on any oil and aren't too fussy. I'm currently running a mixture of some leftover Castrol 0w30 (2 quarts) and Castrol startup 5w30 (3 quarts) since most of my trips are 12 miles or less. It's a bit quieter then the M1 Syn I previously ran in it. The oil monitor system will typically let you run the oil about 7,500 miles. I've run 5w40, 10w30 and 5w30 and the car ran well on all of them. I haven't tried 0w20 or 5w20 and I may give it a shot next spring. Run whatever you can get on sale in the 10w30 range unless your driving conditions/style dictate something else.

Thanks for all the replies. My '92 Regal w/3800 seems to have lost 1-2 MPG as compared to Amsoil 5/10W-30. I will be changing the oil in the SC soon. How about M1 10W-30 with Molabrew to thicken it up and for extra protection with the SC? I haven't gotten any takers on the GC so it'll probably see some of that as well. The truth of the matter is that I could probably run about anything in this engine with great results. The 3800 is known to be very easy on oil and my driving is almost all interstate back and forth to work 27 miles one-way. I went 12K on Amsoil 10W-30 on the '92 once and 9K another time. I just hate to order my oil though. I'd love to love M1 but my cars have always used a little M1 in the past, more than other oils.

Chevron Supreme/Delo works great for me(check out the UOA section), GC has done well in my 3800s as well.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by blsnelling:
I'd love to love M1 but my cars have always used a little M1 in the past, more than other oils.

My L36 (non-SC) seems to love it, and I don't burn or leak any. So I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I just don't see any reason why you shouldn't see how the GC does, it seems like a waste, you know?

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
Has anybody here ever used M1 T&SUV in a GTP?

I have in my 99. It really quiets the engine down if you have noise, but my "but dyno" tells me that it does take away some HP. BTW I have some mods so for me to notice, it would/could be more of a notice to a stock version. Great oil though but maybe for the type that have VERY hot temps, this would be the oil.

I use the Amsoil 10W30 in mine and get 30-32 on the highway and 22-24 around the city. Not sure what you meant by lower mileage. As to the SC oil I actually have used Amsoil 0W30 in the SC, syphoned out all of old oil and replaced with the 0W and after 30,000 miles ( it was a Co car and I lost it) it was doing fine. The GM product is like $6-$7 for 4 ounces and it takes 8 ounces for a complete refill of the SC oil. I have another 3800 Series II SC now and love the engine, easy on oil and seems to like the Amsoil 10W30 fine, maybe uses 1/2 quart in 7500 miles and based upon my last 2 UOA at 7500 with no filter change I am going to one year or 12,000 which ever comes first. Did this on my previous 3800 also but that one I had since new, this current one was used and I had to switch it over thus the more cautious approach to extending the drain.

Sure do wish they made the PS reservoir more accessible though, a real pain to get to

quote:

Originally posted by BIGJ552000:

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
Has anybody here ever used M1 T&SUV in a GTP?

I have in my 99. It really quiets the engine down if you have noise, but my "but dyno" tells me that it does take away some HP. BTW I have some mods so for me to notice, it would/could be more of a notice to a stock version. Great oil though but maybe for the type that have VERY hot temps, this would be the oil.

You're exactly right about the hot temps! I've been running The T&SUV for about a year now. It was over 100 degrees all week, and my wife's car ran smooth as silk with no engine noise. Sometimes it feels a little sluggish compared to thinner oils I've used, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back