Suggestions for a Good Lab for VOA on SPECTRUM OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys.....I would like to get an Accurate VOA done on some oil that I've been interested in using.

I have not seen any VOA's, or for that matter, UOA's done on this brand of oil. So please correct me if I'm mistaken.

The oil that I would like to have analysed accurately is the SPECTRUM HM OIL that is sold at Kmart and Sears. The newer version, which I purchased today at Kmart, comes in a new silver bottle with a wide mouth opening, similar to Mobil bottle. This oil is not bottled by WPP, as indicated by the lack of the WPP on the bottom of the quart container.

I did find out that this oil is Manufactured by Spectrum Corporation, a large lubricant company located in TN. I have a feeling that this might be a real quality oil.

Any suggestions for a quality lab to have this Virgin oil ACCURATELY analysed? I know that we've all seen some really messed up analysis reports from some of these well established labs....so any, and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

Any suggestions for a quality lab to have this Virgin oil ACCURATELY analysed?

There is only so much accuracy you can buy for $20.

With that said, I've had good experience with Wearcheck. They run the same tests on new oil sample multiple times to eliminate as much error as possible.

But most importantly, if you're planning to do UOAs on this oil later on, then stick to the same lab for both VOA and UOAs. This will help ensure you're comparing apples to apples. What's important is the delta between a UOA and a VOA.

Last edited:
Forget about the VOA on Spectrum Plus HM oil. I returned all 24 quarts of oil to Kmart. Spectrum Corp, who makes the oil for Sears/Kmart, never sent me the MSDS or the PDS on this oil. I could not find out who packages the Oil now that Warren Performance Parts does not bottle the oil anymore.

Best thing to do....return the oil and get my money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back