Suggestions for a '13 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: climhazzard
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I have to stick with 0w20 for warranty purposes, so my options are a bit more limited than if I could use a 5w20.

Based on the respones, it looks like almost any of the 0w20 options would be great. My only concern was I read that the Toyota (and possibly Honda?) variants are a bit thinner at startup than M1 and PP, but I'm not sure if that truly makes a real world difference.

The current Honda Ultimate has very similar viscosity properties to M1 AFE and the current Idemitsu 0w20 available from Subaru. I used the Honda/P66 oil in my Civic and it did well. Search my username for the UOA. I've also used the old high-moly, 200 VI Idemitsu oil and M1 AFE in my Civic. Currently on M1 AFE.

As others have said K-series engines aren't generally that picky about oil, so go with whatever 0w20 is most available and lowest cost, they're all pretty good. If you want the Honda oil but don't want to pay $9/qt for it, buy Kendall GT-1, it's the commercial equivalent. "Petroleum Service Company" has good prices and will ship nationwide.

As to TGMO being thinnest at startup, that depends on the startup temp. M1 AFE has superior MRV viscosity, but that only applies to temperatures below -10*C. The higher VI of TGMO only really helps a bit with fuel economy any way.

I think I'm leaning towards Kendall or M1, but still curious about the Napa stuff. I searched around and it looks like it may not be the exact same as Valvoline, and may have a weaker add pack. Anyone have insight into this?

I think I'm leaning towards Kendall or M1, but still curious about the Napa stuff. I searched around and it looks like it may not be the exact same as Valvoline, and may have a weaker add pack. Anyone have insight into this?

NAPA vs Valvoline - Looks almost identical to me. My buddy runs the NAPA in his 08 Impala - no complaints and no oil usage.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Originally Posted By: bigt61

NAPA vs Valvoline - Looks almost identical to me. My buddy runs the NAPA in his 08 Impala - no complaints and no oil usage.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Does look close, however the VI is slightly lower on the Napa version. Not sure how much that matters, since I'm not too knowledgeable on how all the attributes actually play into the "real world" performance of the oil.

For the factory OCI suggested by the MM, there is no difference.

Heck, even a 5w20 dino would suffice for the MM's OCI.

The Napa syn is priced like dino right now, but you gotta get it this week or the sale is over!

For that car, I'd use whatever synthetic happens to be on sale.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
For the factory OCI suggested by the MM, there is no difference.

Heck, even a 5w20 dino would suffice for the MM's OCI.

The Napa syn is priced like dino right now, but you gotta get it this week or the sale is over!

For that car, I'd use whatever synthetic happens to be on sale.

Well - unfortunately I can't run 5w20 since Honda now requires 0w20. Not sure if the MM has been recalibrated to "Synthetic Blend" levels, or honestly if it would make any difference.

I'm not trying to cheap out on oil, was just going to jump on the Napa deal if it's truly that - a great deal. The K24Z7 is a performance variant of the K series, and I definitely want to make sure it's treated well
smile.gif

Well - unfortunately I can't run 5w20 since Honda now requires 0w20. Not sure if the MM has been recalibrated to "Synthetic Blend" levels, or honestly if it would make any difference.

The MM in the R18 cars certainly seems to have been re-calibrated to take advantage of synthetic. 2012+ cars often go 10,000 mi while 2006-2011 cars seem to be ~7,000. I would assume the SI MM is the same.

Dude, use whatever you can find or want. It all works well and the k24 is not picky. I've already got 55k on my '12 Si with full bolt ons and flashpro and I've gone 10-12k miles with mixes of Supertech HM and Pennzoil Ultra, lol. Really just whatever I feel like dumping in out of my mostly 2007 and earlier vintage oil stash. I occasionally pick up a jug of Pennzoil Ultra or Supertech 20 weights to thin out the mostly thicker weights I still have in the stash. I'm not saying do what I do but just illustrating sometimes we obsess a tad too much about this...stuff... Enjoy the '13. If you are posting on 9thgencivic, I think I just responded to a mod thread you started over there. If not, lol, nevermind...

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Dude, use whatever you can find or want. It all works well and the k24 is not picky. I've already got 55k on my '12 Si with full bolt ons and flashpro and I've gone 10-12k miles with mixes of Supertech HM and Pennzoil Ultra, lol. Really just whatever I feel like dumping in out of my mostly 2007 and earlier vintage oil stash. I occasionally pick up a jug of Pennzoil Ultra or Supertech 20 weights to thin out the mostly thicker weights I still have in the stash. I'm not saying do what I do but just illustrating sometimes we obsess a tad too much about this...stuff... Enjoy the '13. If you are posting on 9thgencivic, I think I just responded to a mod thread you started over there. If not, lol, nevermind...

You're quite right..it probably doesn't matter at all
smile.gif
. Are you hitting 10-12k following the MM? Haven't read up on the general OCI that it calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back