Suggest a simple (cheap) home defense shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Winchester 1300 Defender that's been reliable. I'm not sure what the going rate is now for it. I know I got it under $300, but don't recall the exact price.

I agree with Stuart on the Moss-berg made Maverick is a excellent choice for the budget. Also any used Winchester 1300, Rem 870 or any Moss-berg would be high on the list for me.

I'd pass on anything like a Judge or .410. 20 gauge works for the recoil concerned crowd. But can't argue with a 12 gauge. Many different load combos to get the job done like greenaccord02 said.

Be safe! Bill

Nah, a remington 870 with 00 buck "low recoil" loads will stop any unwanted guests in your home. My wife has no trouble putting rounds down range!

Agree with comments about 12 Gauge. If I have one shot give me the biggest & meanest bullet/shot I can throw at someone. Adrenaline is a [censored] of a natural drug. Mix that with shock/fear/anger of an intruder in your house at night, chances are you will never notice the kick of a 12Ga. nor think it is too much at the time.

I have a mossy 500,535, and a tactical 590. They are noisy rattle traps. I can say that they have always fired though. They just feel MUCH cheaper than a Remington in terms of quality. I bought them all new.

Of all the shotguns I've owned and shot the 500 action (500, 590, 535, Maverick 88) is about the loudest one there is when racked. It's almost comical how loud it is. I think that's a good thing, though, when it comes to home defense. If I can scare somebody enough that I don't have to kill them and they run away, so much the better.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
At close range 20 Ga is enough to stop a NFL line man. And if the gun might have to be used by your wife, 12 Ga. is too much.

+1....20 Gage should be plenty.....especially for a female.

Purchasing it a pawn shop is also a good idea....and should save you a few $$$.

The low recoil 12 gauge rounds are perfect. Less recoil, still deadly, and you can fit more shells in the standard magazine tube.

The variety/availability of specialty ammo is not as good for the 20G. 12G will be the least expensive route to go.

I'd go with a .410 before I'd choose a 20G because there is now a large selection of specialty ammo in .410 because of the Judge and similar pistols.

Last edited:
About 30 years ago a friend got a 12 Ga 3 inch mag single shot for home protection, new for $39. I told him how a single shot would kick more because of the low weight, and he fired if with the 3 inch mag shells and found out in person. He showed his wife how to use it but would never let her fire it, because he said if she ever got hit with the recoil, she would be so afraid of it that she would never be able to use it in a real emergency.

I remember he said that with 00 buck and the 3 inch 12 Ga mag shells he thought that if someone was trying to break in it would be possible to shoot through a door and still take them out.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
The Mossberg-made Maverick is available locally for less than $200 brand new in an ideal "house gun" configuration: blue steel 18.5" cylinder-bore barrel & regular length magazine tube(total capacity 5 + 1 with 2 3/4" shells), black synthetic stock. It's very similar to the Mossberg 500, but has the safety button on the trigger guard(front, like the old Winchester pumps) instead of the top rear of the receiver like the Mossberg. For a new gun, the Maverick is time tested & excellent value for the $$. I believe it's assembled in Mexico from USA-made parts. For some more $$ you can get the Mossberg or the Remington 870 Express mentioned above. The Remington also has the safety button on the trigger guard, but on the rear.

For used, it depends what you can find, but the Remington 870 would be at or near the top of my list. I've owned a 20 ga 870 since my 12th Christmas- and that was a very long time ago!

100% agree on the Maverick 88. Bud's has them online for 208 bucks. Can't beat that! I also have a Mossberg 500 that is absolutely reliable and was under 300 new.

If someone does get a 500 Mossberg, do yourself a favor and spring the 15 or 20 bucks for the all metal factory safety button. Well worth the upgrade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8

I'd go with a .410 before I'd choose a 20G because there is now a large selection of specialty ammo in .410 because of the Judge and similar pistols.

I thought the 410 rounds for the Judge were lower recoil loads? As in, even weaker than normal 410 rounds?

A 20ga with buckshot is all you need. No fancy bells and whistle ammo required.

Mossberg is the way to go. Sometimes you can find "store" brand mossys even cheaper. Coast to Coast used to sell em and I have a 20 ga Mossy from them that I got for 80 bucks. Works like a charm and the parts are the same. Just the name on the gun is different.

I have a Maverick 88. Gets the job done and apparently most of the Mossberg 500 accessories will work with it. Regarding where it is made, I believe mine had a big sticker on it that said "Made in America by Mossberg".

Keep the wood stock on your home defense shotgun...resist, RESIST the tempation to put a Pistol Grip on there.

Leave that to the movie heroes...shooting blanks!

as for anyone saying to use 20g with buckshot
I recently got a 20 gauge (already have a 12) and wanted some buckshot for it just incase i had to use it for HD or zombies (the mossberg 590a1 is the dedicated HD gun though) and was very surprised how hard it is to get buckshot. both walmart and meijer had no buckshot of any size for 20g. Dunhams had 3 boxes (5 rounds each) for 7 bucks each. I have alway paid 60-70 cents a round for regular 00 buck and once bought some federal flite control 00 buck for my 12g for 1 dollar a round. I was not going to pay 1.50 per round (after tax). plus it was #3 buckshot. after looking online all that is available is #3 (which is fine) and the cheapest i could get it was $90 for 100 rounds. luckily i know a guy who is selling me buckshot in smaller volume for 1 dollar a round. still waay to much.

slugs only being 3.27 for 5 rounds i might just practice and use those.

Last edited:
All depends on how much you want to spend. Plenty to choose from really. I have an 870 home defense model 12gauge with the 18.5" barrel, 6+1 capacity, it was $299. Winchester and Mossberg are other good choices in the same price range. Mossberg makes less expensive models too as well as Savage, H&R, and New England Firearms. If you have gun store near you check out their used guns. My local stores have tons of used shotguns at fantastic prices. It doesn't have to look pretty but just make sure it works. Any pump shotgun with a short smooth bore barrel in 12,16, or 20 gauge is the most ideal HD gun IMO.

Best price point is a good used Winchester 1300.

Ultra reliable, smooth, light weight. And they are DIRT cheap. Mine is a Featherweight 1300 model purchased in 1989 or so. It looks very nice, functions even better and I just mop it out after use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back