Submersible wreckage brought to surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a need for it all the time in scientific research, exploring / salvaging wrecks, working on undersea telephone cables, etc.

Don't hear much about it since it is rare to have a manned mission and when they do there are a lot more safety precautions.
I just never thought that much was necessary, pretty amazing actually that they recovered all that so quickly like it was no big deal.

Those boys and boats were already out there. Good training, I think.

Boys ?

It was a dog and pony show just so media would not blame the gov agencies for not trying to help, even though they knew the implosion already happened.

Those boys and boats were already out there. Good training, I think.
AHV Arctic was released - then reconfigured at the harbor here - Once clear deck it will travel south to load anchors and mooring legs … just checked on it:

IMG_2747.jpeg

Last edited:
USA has surveillance ’cables’ on the ocean floor throughout the globe and they track all submarines. They can even tell the difference between noise from a sub, group of whales or seismic shifts on ocean floor.

24/7/365 the USA knows where everything and everyone is at in real-time. No hiding !!!!

From Wiki:
Distinct names are used to identify five different areas of the ocean: Pacific (the largest), Atlantic, Indian, Southern, and Arctic (the smallest).

Last edited:
There aren't any "remains" at that depth, not even fillings for teeth.
Have to remember that the vessel was filled with air, when you compress air it gets hot, it was a mini star inside that thing for a couple of nanoseconds.

The air would have been just an atmosphere, plus or minus, above the surroundings, right?

Edit: disregard. My brain bad

Last edited:
Isn’t it interesting how that there was not one peep about this expedition submersible before the tragedy? Most people didn’t even know it existed yet afterwards there are loads of experts and pundits talking about how unsafe it was. Where were all these people a month ago?
I remarked on this to my wife last week. After any disaster, experts seem to appear from everywhere proclaiming that they had foreseen the outcome.
The other side of the story is that those aboard were not Joe Sixpack and his wife, rather they were very well off folks who had both the resources and the connections to do their due diligence on the safety of the vessel.
FWIU, the carbon fiber was five inches thick, so not just a few layers and carbon fiber is pretty strong stuff if properly wound with good epoxy penetration and no voids or gaps between plies. The process is pretty well understood by now and cannot be considered experimental.
It should be noted that metals are also subject to fatigue failure/cracking after repeated pressure cycling. Ask anyone who works on airliners, or better yet, look carefully at the fuselage of any aircraft you fly on that's been in service for some time. Guarantee you you'll see skin repairs, often simple doublers.

USA has surveillance ’cables’ on the ocean floor throughout the globe and they track all submarines. They can even tell the difference between noise from a sub, group of whales or seismic shifts on ocean floor.

24/7/365 the USA knows where everything and everyone is at in real-time. No hiding !!!!

From Wiki:
Distinct names are used to identify five different areas of the ocean: Pacific (the largest), Atlantic, Indian, Southern, and Arctic (the smallest).

That’s not really accurate. Water temperatures (thermoclines) are so variable that while it may be easy to HEAR a sound, it’s sometimes impossible to know where it’s coming from. Something relatively close may also be literally impossible to hear passively, and active sonar may not be able to determine where it is with any kind of precision. The water on this world is expansive. The majority of what’s in there is completely undetectable.

Please tell your leaders to build more subs!

That’s not really accurate. Water temperatures (thermoclines) are so variable that while it may be easy to HEAR a sound, it’s sometimes impossible to know where it’s coming from. Something relatively close may also be literally impossible to hear passively, and active sonar may not be able to determine where it is with any kind of precision. The water on this world is expansive. The majority of what’s in there is completely undetectable.

Please tell your leaders to build more subs!
Anyone who dives is familiar with thermoclines.
The change in water temperature when passing through one up or down is unmistable, at least in a wet suit and dry suits are an invention of El Diablo, or at least I thought so after having one flood due to a seam failure at 50' down in 38F water.
You can even see a thermocline as a layer of stratified particles if you hang out around the depth of one.
Does anyone know the reason that the scuba depth record is less than a tenth the depth the Titan was intended for?
I'll give you a hint in that ambient pressure isn't the issue.

Anyone who dives is familiar with thermoclines.
The change in water temperature when passing through one up or down is unmistable, at least in a wet suit and dry suits are an invention of El Diablo, or at least I thought so after having one flood due to a seam failure at 50' down in 38F water.
You can even see a thermocline as a layer of stratified particles if you hang out around the depth of one.
Does anyone know the reason that the scuba depth record is less than a tenth the depth the Titan was intended for?
I'll give you a hint in that ambient pressure isn't the issue.

Very cool anecdote and post. Thank you

CBS News had a journalist covering the sub on a news story last year. He was on the sub but the mission was aborted.
The viewport was certified for 1300 meters, not the 3810 meters the Titanic is in the ocean.

CBS News had a journalist covering the sub on a news story last year. He was on the sub but the mission was aborted.
The viewport was certified for 1300 meters, not the 3810 meters the Titanic is in the ocean.
Certified by ?

If it was the carbon fiber hull that failed, it makes sense. But some of it was also on the outside of the pressure vessel, and wouldn't have sustained much damage in the implosion because that part wasn't subject to the extreme pressure differential. So it just got minor damage and then fell off the sub. If they find remnants of the pressure hull, then we'll see some interesting damage.
A couple of technical articles mentioned that I think the carbon fiber needed to be alot thicker and needed to be pre pregged with epixy resin in essentially a hepa clean room. Many employees said that it was epoxied out in the open.

A couple of technical articles mentioned that I think the carbon fiber needed to be alot thicker and needed to be pre pregged with epixy resin in essentially a hepa clean room. Many employees said that it was epoxied out in the open.

At least one rendition was, there were a few different manufacturers, I believe this was the first one they used and retired after finding issues.

The one that dived and imploded was likely made by Electroimpact and Janicki Industries

If they found something large enough to be recognizable, like a whole hand or even a finger, they would not say it was "likely" human remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back