Submersible wreckage brought to surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I saw an interview with James Cameron. He has been down to the Titanic wreckage a total of 33 times. And to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. He said he wishes he had spoken up sooner about what a total (edit-Mod) that thing was.

The only one I feel sorry for, was the 19 year old kid. His grandmother said he didn't want to go on it. And was in fact terrified to make the trip. She said he only went to please his father. The others were culled by Darwinism, and extreme arrogance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised what they recovered is that big in size.
If it was the carbon fiber hull that failed, it makes sense. But some of it was also on the outside of the pressure vessel, and wouldn't have sustained much damage in the implosion because that part wasn't subject to the extreme pressure differential. So it just got minor damage and then fell off the sub. If they find remnants of the pressure hull, then we'll see some interesting damage.

Why are they tarping the debris?

Privacy concerns I reckon. A story like this drew a lot of attention and now the world wants to know what happened. Last thing we need is a bunch of conspiracy theories and hobby newscasters drawing their conclusions.

Does the NTSB board investigate incidents like this?

Privacy concerns. A story like this drew a lot of attention and now the world wants to know what happened. Last thing we need is a bunch of conspiracy theories and hobby newscasters drawing their conclusions.

Does the NTSB board investigate incidents like this?
I think that is the Coast Guard that is going to do the investigation with assistance from the NTSB, since it was a watercraft.

Reactions: Pew
Isn’t it interesting how that there was not one peep about this expedition submersible before the tragedy? Most people didn’t even know it existed yet afterwards there are loads of experts and pundits talking about how unsafe it was. Where were all these people a month ago?

Isn’t it interesting how that there was not one peep about this expedition submersible before the tragedy? Most people didn’t even know it existed yet afterwards there are loads of experts and pundits talking about how unsafe it was. Where were all these people a month ago?
Lets face it - Until something catastrophic occurs most news organizations won't really care about it. Otherwise it's just "This one expert doesn't like this one thing." It sucks, but that's the way most of us view things.

The number of manned vehicles built that can go down to Titanic and return can be counted on two hands, and trips are insanely expensive. So the "market" for news about these things is incredibly small right up until people start to die.

Aside from keyboard warriors

There was, and lawsuits and many experts sent them in writing that it was a bad idea.

Oceangate used loopholes to get away with it. Not that anyone else wouldn't but hindsight is 20:20.

If it was the carbon fiber hull that failed, it makes sense. But some of it was also on the outside of the pressure vessel, and wouldn't have sustained much damage in the implosion because that part wasn't subject to the extreme pressure differential. So it just got minor damage and then fell off the sub. If they find remnants of the pressure hull, then we'll see some interesting damage.
I think carbon fibre tube will be a shredded tangled mess with maybe no large pieces at all, as it imploded and then probably the compressed air in the vessel exploded with the 300 to 1 compression ratio... The titanium end caps may be in one piece and dented a little...
I don't think they are searching for bodies, maybe teeth would be recognizable?

You don't normally hear about other dangerous activities. How many people are right now in the Mt. Everett base camp waiting for an ascent that's certainly risky with 4% of climbers dying while trying? Do you hear about them? How many people are solo-sailing the world right now? It's not a matter of general public interest until something goes wrong or unless some record is to be set. Youngest, oldest, first quadriplegic, mother of nine, deepest, highest, or any other extreme you can think of. Excitement, success, and death sell.

The media circus after an accident is normal if regrettable. Everyone has an opinion and clarity in hindsight - even on an oil-themed forum. The only good thing coming out of this attention is public pressure that may lead companies and individuals to exercise greater care and be more responsible.

A few people attempted to draw attention to the design issues and lack of certification but were dismissed. This was not a public transportation safety issue.

I think carbon fibre tube will be a shredded tangled mess with maybe no large pieces at all, as it imploded and then probably the compressed air in the vessel exploded with the 300 to 1 compression ratio... The titanium end caps may be in one piece and dented a little...
I don't think they are searching for bodies, maybe teeth would be recognizable?
I can't imagine they're going to get very much in the way of remains. It's just too much force for our bodies to endure. As for the shell - Yeah you're probably right. With it being a wound carbon fiber hull, it's probably completely shredded.

Most of the real experts in this field tend to involved with competing operations, so they may have been dismissed as trying to stifle competition. Regulations should apply to any vessel when it is in buisness carrying passengers for hire though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back