Subaru To Axe the Legacy in 2025

because of the skinny 225 tires. 225-50-18 precisely. on the Legacy GT model 2024. but i guarantee you it will leave any Accord in the snow dust during a blizzard. and it has a very decent 5.9 inches of ground clearance for a sedan. the Accord has 235-40-19 tires. the Legacy. is a far more capable beast than an Accord in winter. and if you want better handling, easily done with wheels and tires swap.
I drove it recently.
When you have skinny tires (and 225/50 R18 are not for that weight), you can clearly distinguish where the vehicle falls over the tires. There is an attempt to tune the suspension for comfort. The problem is that the suspension is very simple and softly tuned, and that shows. I personally don't think it is comfortable and definitely is not dynamic.

Consumer Reports also said that the Toyota Camry has dynamic suspension to attract drivers who like sports sedans (something along those lines). I stopped reading the article at that point.
That's curious, I just read the entire 2024 road test on CR and I didn't see that same mention. Can you point me to the quote?

Consumer Reports also said that the Toyota Camry has dynamic suspension to attract drivers who like sports sedans (something along those lines).
CR must be re-posting articles from The Onion....

The fuel efficiency difference of AWD is typically 1-2 MPG. AWD
I wish they offered their cars in fwd as well though I know it's what their brand is about it would make the cars cheaper to buy and own long term repair and maintenance wise and more fuel efficient and that's more attractive.
Been there done that. They offered this and little uptak
e during 90s

Interesting that both the Korean twins in the segment offer AWD as well. Not much reason to go with Subaru for a mid-size sedan I guess. The ATS system found in the legacy isn't much better than what the mechanical competitors offer. Nothing like the rear-biased VTD system in the CVT WRX.

According to Car & Driver, the Legacy corners .8g, whereas cars like the Accord are .9g. There is no free lunch...
And where exactly can you achieve 0.9 cornering G’s on public roads for more than a couple seconds, without breaking at least one law? I’d much rather have the nice ride which is what you’re going to experience 99.8% of that vehicle’s life…

FIA World Rally Car ruined it for Subaru. They changed the engine classes, and Subaru could not adapt. Knocked Subaru out of the Rally sport. Now the Legacy I always considered a Outback sedan, and second class to the Outback. You bought a legacy cause you don´t want a station wagon.

Most people do not need AWD.
Up north it's a no-brainer for me even in a few inches of snow it can make a huge difference. I have a moderately pitched driveway and with 3 or 4" couldn't get the Kia with snow tires up it without a ton of effort and spinning tires. The RX 350 with CrossClimate 2 went right up with no problem and certainly, the Tundra didn't have any issues.

I'd actually consider a Camry now that it has AWD as an option but would never in the past.

The last legacy I was interested in was my wife’s old and rare 2005 Legacy turbo wagon with manual which was a blast to drive. After 2005 it was automatic only and wagon ended in 2007.

Back