Cars might be making a comeback in an SUV-Dominated Market

I'm daily driving an 'SUV' at the moment. I really dislike the high driving position and the compromise on handling. Unfortunately I needed a small diesel with four wheel drive and options are rapidly running out.

I'm tempted by an ex-police 5 year old BMW 530d X-Drive. Can certainly see one in my future!

I live on a busy city street and I watch lots of people struggle to park their large pickups and SUVs. If people drove smaller cars there would be 25% more parking spaces on my block. Most of the people that exit these vehicles are not utilizing the storage or hauling space, but they have to lug it around with them wherever they go. I understand the need for hauling lots of stuff, but I personally would hate driving that empty lump around on a daily basis when the space is not needed.

Talking about station wagons ...

image_2023-05-13_015221885.jpg

I had so many folks asking about my Regal Tour X - that is nearly the perfect car for suburban/country folks. Nearly sedan mileage with nearly SUV room. I only traded to go electric, and get something more dynamic/fun to drive. I am willing to pay more for fun.
Yet-their sales were abysmal.

it is still alive in europe. 2023 ford focus st. with the good ole 2.3 engine good for 276hp and 310tq. fwd. in either a 6 speed manual or 7 speed dual clutch configuration. ford still make cool cars. north americans are simply not interested. i would love to own one of these things.

View attachment 155590
I second that. It's too bad they killed the regular Focus here before they got it sorted out with a decent automatic transmission. I thought they were good cars aside of that.

It is "low" and seems small..."men" need something big so they feel masculine. Women need something big and tall so they feel safe.
I like the idea of a wagon until I drive one then they seem the worst of all worlds. Bad blind spot, not that much cargo space. No more load carrying capacity. No more ground clearance, usually worse approach and departure angles. I can get the same thing with a Sedan that I occasionally put a rooftop box on. Or just buy a CUV.

I like the idea of a wagon until I drive one then they seem the worst of all worlds. Bad blind spot, not that much cargo space. No more load carrying capacity. No more ground clearance, usually worse approach and departure angles. I can get the same thing with a Sedan that I occasionally put a rooftop box on. Or just buy a CUV.

Looking at your list of cars, you must off road at least occasionally. Most folks need to jump a curb at MOST. Wagons make a ton of sense for the soccer moms/dads where the biggest obstacle they face is the approach angle of their driveway. Rooftop boxes kill mileage, and aren't always waterproof.
I'm a wagon fan...they make sense for most folks IMHO. Cars like the TourX do have a slight lift, AWD, and tons of space...they would do what most every American will actually ask, and be more efficient, and better for every day driving.
My new EV6 is just another wagon that happens to be electric. Just took the family from middle Iowa to KC and back for a soccer tournament. Everybody was able to bring everything they needed, AWD, comfy, and a great highway cruiser. Yup, other soccer dads gave me crap...but nobody wanted to race ;-)

I live on a busy city street and I watch lots of people struggle to park their large pickups and SUVs. If people drove smaller cars there would be 25% more parking spaces on my block. Most of the people that exit these vehicles are not utilizing the storage or hauling space, but they have to lug it around with them wherever they go. I understand the need for hauling lots of stuff, but I personally would hate driving that empty lump around on a daily basis when the space is not needed.

Are they supposed to always be hauling loads in order to make them viable? Most households in my area have one crossover and one pickup. That is a versatile combination for a two vehicle family. The pickup is there when you need it.

Are they supposed to always be hauling loads in order to make them viable? Most households in my area have one crossover and one pickup. That is a versatile combination for a two vehicle family.
Obviously, you should get the vehicles you need, but on my street I am seeing lots of trucks used for nothing other than hauling one or two people to one of the nice local restaurants or bars. Judging from how the truck looks it is rarely, if ever, used for anything you need a truck for, yet they drive around a massive vehicle that is hard on gas, hard to park, and IMHO a lot less fun to drive than a smaller car. To each his own, but doesn't make sense to me.

Obviously, you should get the vehicles you need, but on my street I am seeing lots of trucks used for nothing other than hauling one or two people to one of the nice local restaurants or bars. Judging from how the truck looks it is rarely, if ever, used for anything you need a truck for, yet they drive around a massive vehicle that is hard on gas, hard to park, and IMHO a lot less fun to drive than a smaller car. To each his own, but doesn't make sense to me.

It’s still a free country but that is changing.

I mind my own beeswax.

....massive vehicle that is hard on gas, hard to park, and IMHO a lot less fun to drive than a smaller car.
Have you considered that some folks find bigger vehicles fun to drive?
Some of these folks also earn more money than you do, thereby making it easier to afford the fuel and maintenance.

Strange, but true!

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Used cars can be had cheaper than used SUV’s, especially the one grandma had before she went into the nursing home. 🥲
While true, one needs to accept that even most grandma's have "upgraded" to SUV's.
As a result, the number of available "cars" is steadily decreasing.
Especially since SUV's are easier to get into and out of.

chariot of the gods. 2024 audi rs6 avant with performance pack. practicality and insanity. 621hp and 627tq. my dream ride. unfortunately, most wagons sold in north america as of today are from luxury manufacturers. i wished there was mainstream offerings like a mazda 6 wagon, but heck even the mazda 6 is dead in north america.

View attachment 153663

Beautiful car!

For all that stuff kids, dogs, bride and dryer get an old VW Westfalia. Camp in style and deliver the goods. Kids love the bed in the popup top.

Back