Subaru release bearing... toast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't down-shift to slow down unless I have to. The clutch plate sizing/material seems to be questionable on the Impreza/XV. Trying to reverse up an incline will be met with alarming burning clutch smell.

My son's OBS had recently had an aftermarket clutch installed when we bought it, but the TO bearing died within a few thousand miles. There were a couple of issues of which you might want to be aware.

First problem was the clutch was an off-brand aftermarket clutch which appeared to come with a cheap, Chinese generic TO bearing.

Second problem was the "snout" showed wear and appeared dry which likely meant the TO bearing may have had trouble sliding back/forth.

Although friction and pressure plates measured to have plenty of life left, I decided to put a new Exedy clutch kit in along with a snout repair sleeve kit. Both the Exedy kit and the snout kit appeared to come with questionable quality bearings. The Exedy bearing had no brand name on it, and the snout kit bearing only had the word, "China" stamped on it. I wasn't too excited about putting that China bearing in there, and the Exedy bearing wouldn't work with the snout kit installed.

A little research resulted in being able to cross-reference the snout kit bearing to a name brand Japanese bearing that fits some Toyota trucks from the past. I was able to locate a NOS (NSK brand, IIRC) bearing on eBay, so I feel much better about our chances of having the TO bearing actually last for the life of the clutch.

I don't know if the Exedy bearings are any good or not, but you could likely cross-reference it to similarly find an OEM-sized Japanese name brand bearing if you don't trust the Subaru/Exedy bearings (I think the Exedy bearing is the same as OEM as far as I could tell).

AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back