Suabru Dealer put in PEAK 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% of people could not care less what oil is pumped into their car. The dealer used a specified API SN 0w20 oil and filter which met Subaru requirements and they charged a lot of money. What is so unusual about this? Is it expensive?...in my opinion yes, but they're not in business to give you cheap oil changes out of the kindness of their hearts with a top tier synthetic. They are a dealership in business to make money, keep the lights on and pay their mechanics. It's likely not worth their time to give a $40 oil change so they charge $90 to satisfy those who want the warm fuzzy feeling of having a Subaru tech do the oil change while they drink coffee and eat donuts. Actually, this is Subaru so instead of coffee and donuts let us say hummus with pita and organically sourced coffee beans from sustainable coffee plantations.

Last edited:
We were paying $70 for oil changes on our Subaru. That included bags of pretzels (filled my pockets), a couple cookies, and a 6 pack of pop stuffed into my jacket pockets both times. At least they used Eneos...kind of an import oil.

I expected a bit of an over charge but not a bend over over-charge. She paid half of the bill and I paid the other half. I recall its was a bit over 500 bucks for the 30K mile service including front transaxle and rear diff changes, bleed ABS brakes, 2 air filters, tire rotation, and OCI and component integrity inspection(safety).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I expected a bit of an over charge but not a bend over over-charge. She paid half of the bill and I paid the other half. I recall its was a bit over 500 bucks for the 30K mile service including front transaxle and rear diff changes, bleed ABS brakes, 2 air filters, tire rotation, and OCI and component integrity inspection(safety).

Think I paid over $500 for my 30k service even though I told them I was doing the oil and filter. This was after shopping around at 3 different dealers, one of which would not even give me a discount for not doing the oil service. Of course, mine is a turbo, so they probably charge hundreds extra for getting the vacuum out and getting the leaves off the intercooler.
There is a reasonably local guy who mostly does Subies at his home garage, may try him for the 60k service (maybe even 45k). I did not know anybody who had used him at the time of my 30k service, but now I have a good report on him from somebody with a major Forester repair.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

Last time I went to a dealer (stealership) for service, I was out of town on business, my wife called me and told me she had a brake light out. I told her to take it to the dealer where we had already spent several thousand dollars that year. They charged her $45 to replace a brake light bulb. Two thumb screws and a twist out fixture and push in bulb. If the trunk is already open and I have a spare bulb in my hand, I can do this in about the same amount of time it takes you to read this.

Needless to say, we have NOT been back to Jim Butler Chevrolet in St. Louis.

If it was so simple and quick, why could the wife not do it then?

Peak is made by Old World Industries. Peak makes a lot of great products I'm sure their oil Is also a fine product. I just had my T&C oil changed a t a quick lube place they used Peak oil and a Purolator filter for $39.95. I hate using the dealer for anything other than warranty work. Even then I always feel dirty when I leave there. I have my first OC on my 2016 Odyssey scheduled in June but it is complimentary that's the only time they will change this oil.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

There is a reasonably local guy who mostly does Subies at his home garage, may try him for the 60k service (maybe even 45k). I did not know anybody who had used him at the time of my 30k service, but now I have a good report on him from somebody with a major Forester repair.

There is the (ex.) Service MGR from Exeter Subaru who has a garage near town that's good and reasonable. I don't know if you're near there:
Scottys Country Auto off rt27 off rt101 in Exeter.
scottyscountry auto.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

There is the (ex.) Service MGR from Exeter Subaru who has a garage near town that's good and reasonable. I don't know if you're near there:
Scottys Country Auto off rt27 off rt101 in Exeter.
scottyscountry auto.com

Thanks for the tip, but Exeter NH is out of my range.

Are 30, 45, 60K mile service items still a big thing on Subarus? Now that they don't do timing belts, I didn't think there was anything major to happen until the 100K area

Front and rear diffs and trans are easy on my 12 Forester. Really. Even I did it with a little internet research! No way I'm paying stealership prices. I did have front brakes replaced at my local garage (original set went 125k!)
Mike B

$70 for a cabin air filer replacement? That is where you can save a bunch of money. If you do not do it yourself next time an independent shop should be able to do that for a lot less. You can probably get a much cheaper oil change with better oil at an independent shop as well. If they are using PEAK, what are you paying you getting for you money paying a dealer premium price? I believe you can go into a just and oil change place that uses premium brand oils and get a full synthetic oil change for less than that and many will change a cabin air filter at well.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
$90.for a oil change using bulk Peak? Wow!
Did you enjoy your introduction to Ben Dover?

ROFLMAO!

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Peak is Warren PP so it is not bad... but for the price, I would complain.
Peak was using Valvoline, with tons of sodium, and they cut the calcium sulfonate detergents in half, and ZDDP was way reduced below SN levels, not normal!!!!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2438430

They do meet dexos1 currently, so probably quality stuff now because of that tough spec.
They could be Warren now, who knows, they could change sourcing yearly for all we know and just slap their label on their next to Danica Patrick's picture.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I still tell people to avoid Appletree Honda to this day... avoid Appletree Honda.
If I ever do go to Carolina (in my mind) I will avoid Appletree and go to BerryBush Toyota instead. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

Every time we went in for a basic service such as an oil change; they would give us a 4 page list of $800-1,000 of OTHER work they claimed was needed. I came to understand that THEIR favorite location for my car was on their lift.

I know that story. I have two mechanics near me, both do good quality work, but they should be called William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens. Every time I picked the car up, they had a new manuscript for me to read. A vast list of things to do.

I ended up using both, taking alternate turns, for basic car service. Only if the same item appeared on both lists, did I take them seriously. I even questioned them a few times. What about "such and such" (a big item from the other mechanic). "No…..I had a good look at that……it's fine".

Ouch and ouch.
Don't feel too bad though. A friend of mine has a BMW X5 V6.
For the oil change at the dealer.. 250.00..
I was floored when he told me that.
BMW has to order a special internal oil filter that fits in the oil pan.
That part alone is 100.00. Then the oil pan has to be dropped and re sealed or a new gasket.
Only plus side is he only has to do 1 a year if he chooses, but he does it twice a year.
BMW apparently uses Gold Bottle Castrol.

90 is expensive for a Subaru.

Originally Posted By: fordman65
Ouch and ouch.
That part alone is 100.00. Then the oil pan has to be dropped and re sealed or a new gasket.
Only plus side is he only has to do 1 a year if he chooses, but he does it twice a year.
BMW apparently uses Gold Bottle Castrol.

90 is expensive for a Subaru.

This sounds like the German tanks in WWII that had to be sent back for a total overhaul after 600 miles. The less powerful US tanks could have their engines and transmissions serviced in the field at much longer intervals and actually be out fighting instead of on a rail car back to Germany. So you'd have a dozen or so Shermans swarming around two or three Panthers that would either break down or get knocked out from behind, but they'd take 3-5 of the Shermans (that would probably get repaired in the field) with them.
I was very interested in the BMW X1 before I tried to put a full ski bag in it. But, I was very worried about maintenance costs even before that.

Really? It's different than this?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles..._Engine_Oil.htm

Originally Posted By: fordman65
Ouch and ouch.

I saw the bulk oil at the Toyota dealer my wife use to take her highlander for OC....they used Coastal Oil 5W 20 and 30 and charged 40 bucks.....that ended that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back