AMSOIL OE 0w20 in 2005 Ford Ranger 4Cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure Pablo could help me out here.
Anyway, in my time away from BITOG for a stupid drunken prank in the joke section (Sorry again!) I managed to find someone on Craigslist selling some good deals on motor oil and filters.
Long story short, guy gets a DUI, Wrecks his car, Gets License taken away, sells his motor oil/stuff for his Focus on craigslist.

ANYWHO...
that year focus and my year ranger have the same size oil filter, also take Merc V tfluid.

I picked up some AMSOIL OE 0w20 (5Qts for 2.50$ a qt)
two PSL20195 New Purolator synthetic filters (5$ each)
one Fram XG whatever number for my truck (bought for 2$ went and returned to Walmart, picked up a Puro L20195 classic for it)
13 qts of Lucas Multivehicle ATF for 3$ each
and misc Turtle Wax interior and Blue Coral stuff
oh and he threw in a couple of little tree fresheners for the heck of it.

Anyway
The PSL20195 + Amsoil 0w20, I know of XL and SS Amsoil, but not enough about the OE

How long in my truck? I see 90% 60+MPH driving with only 10% below that
I very rarely haul anything over 500lbs
I drive pretty conservatively no laying it on the gas or long idling
0w20 okay when truck calls for 5w20?
With a TBN of 6.9 would an OCI of 7500-10000 sound too good?
OM says oci of 3000, it also specs MC 5w20, Ive run QSUD/Peak Synthetic 5w20 in my truck for 5000-7500k pretty good, not too dirty, still some amber color.

Oh and Ive come to a conclusion, after messing with a turkey baster for 30 minutes, every OCI, im draining the PSF reservoir and topping it off, replaced all my existing sludgy ATF in the Power steering with the Lucas (No Lucas bashing...)
Though the manual says MERC V, the little thingy on the Lucas ATF bottle says in place of XXXXXXXX ATFS and lists a million including Merc V, will this be fine in my Trans?

You'll be fine using the 0-20 in that truck, as it does call for 5-20 anyway. It'll just be thinner at start up in extreme cold temperatures, which is a good thing. Sounds like you got a good deal on everything really.

That fluid should be just fine in the power steering and the transmission. Those transmissions aren't too picky on fluid, just as long as it meets Mercon V or LV specs you should be good to go there as well.

Good call on the filters too. The OE Amsoil isn't exactly meant for long term extended drain like the XL and SS line up. I'd probably feel ok running it for 6-7,500 just off my gut feeling. Hopefully someone with more experience in the line up can give you a better idea on miles.

Originally Posted By: 1trilliondollars
This is my last post, some people actually need to wake up at some point.

See that little 0 in front of the w-20? Now let's say that a random man offered you $5 or $0, and you could only have one. Now if you could take either, shut up and stop asking stupid questions.

Once again you post no evidence or proof. You have no idea what YOU'RE talking about. Maybe you should take your own advice on asking questions that have no relevance to motor oil. How is a 0w-20 more thin than a 5w-20 at operating conditions?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Last edited:

See that little 0 in front of the w-20? Now let's say that a random man offered you $5 or $0, and you could only have one. Now if you could take either, shut up and stop asking stupid questions.

thicker oil isnt always better, fyi, if that the case, if your car called for 0w20 by your logic, 20 is bigger than 0 so would you put 20w50 in it?

no.

Can't we all just GET ALONG...
dollars, this is a mild mannered place, we try to be civil here.

I just checked Amsoil site to be sure. At operating temperature, both oils are for 20wt oils. The 0w-20 is slightly thinner but still well within spec for a 20wt oil. I have no idea what he was talking about, I would use that oil with confidence if it was my truck.

when you take a troll and a forum thats so busy it's hard to moderate, you get threads like this

ruins the forum experience for the rest of us

Originally Posted By: volk06

Once again you post no evidence or proof. You have no idea what YOU'RE talking about. Maybe you should take your own advice on asking questions that have no relevance to motor oil. How is a 0w-20 more thin than a 5w-20 at operating conditions?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Well the good news is he said it was his last post.

Quote:
With a TBN of 6.9 would an OCI of 7500-10000 sound too good?
OM says oci of 3000, it also specs MC 5w20, Ive run QSUD/Peak Synthetic 5w20 in my truck for 5000-7500k pretty good, not too dirty, still some amber color.

Most oils today can handle 5k-7k mile drains, synthetics espeically. The OE is a good oil and will do well. To really determine the best OCI, do a UOA and take it from there.

Never seen someone so angry over the prospect of a (synthetic) 0W-20...
laugh.gif

Alright
I am totally bored on a Sunday almost afternoon.
Seahawks played last night and won, so I have no football to care for.
Ive done been burned out the olympics this year around.
So I am making the switch today, 4k miles into the QSUD I am bored LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back