Strange stickers on my BMW headlights

Problem solved. Stickers and leftover adhesive gone. First I removed the outer layer of the sticker, which leaves behind all of the nasty glue. I have no idea what this glue is, but it is heavy duty stuff. First I tried vinegar on the leftover adhesive with no effect whatsoever.
1st picture shows the leftover sticker adhesive.
2nd picture is the finished product.
3rd picture shows the secret weapon 🤯, that when applied to the adhesive and rubbed vigorously with a blue shop towel, removed the adhesive.
View attachment 184513
View attachment 184514
View attachment 184515
awesome but funny too!! What ever gave you the idea to use peanut butter? Hey I'm not complaining.. it works, didn't hurt the plastic either! Good to know that vinegar didn't work at all, I'll remember that going forward. Glad you got it done, looks perfect now! (y)

awesome but funny too!! What ever gave you the idea to use peanut butter?
Someone on a BMW forum mentioned it in an old thread that I came across yesterday; I never would have thought of it. The oil in the peanut butter is apparently what does the trick to break down the glue, but make no mistake, it took A LOT of elbow grease. I also think the blue shop towels helped. The combination of the two is what got it done in the end. Took me about an hour for both headlights.

The peanut butter trick is an old thing; first time I came across it was on a BMW forum many years ago.

It has also been suggested to clean and condition exterior moldings, and as an interior stain remover.

One of the fundamental rules of detailing is to start with the least powerful product or practice that will get the job done, and if peanut butter works, then no need to pull out the industrial solvents.

Back