STP S6607 Cut Open - New

Now THAT (the top one) is what an excessively dirty, possibly left on too long filter looks like! LOTS of junk in the can, on the pleats, everywhere!

Maybe the car was driven in very dusty / sandy roads with construction.

How are the Chinese able to make oil filters inexpensively with nice, straight, even pleats while many domestic filters have wavy, unevenly spaced pleats while costing a lot more money?

Yep. I’ve noticed that for the past 10 years .

Looks well made nice and clean construction. What brand cutter and where did you purchase it? I’m currently looking for one. Thanks for sharing

I got it from ebay its the same as those branded ones that cost like 100 bucks but you can find unbranded ones for 4 times less the price. You can probably get it cheaper from Aliexpress.

How are the Chinese able to make oil filters inexpensively with nice, straight, even pleats while many domestic filters have wavy, unevenly spaced pleats while costing a lot more money?

Even the made in China Denso filters are extremely well assembled, very high pleat count and clean glue job. I wish they actually expand their product line to include blended and synthetic media.

Even the made in China Denso filters are extremely well assembled, very high pleat count and clean glue job. I wish they actually expand their product line to include blended and synthetic media.
Are the s6607 similar to the construction of the ecogard x4612?

Are the s6607 similar to the construction of the ecogard x4612?

I never used an Ecogard filter, most of the filters I've touched are dealer OEM, and the usual retail store filters such as STP, Bosch & Fram. I've only used a Denso FTF once for my former Honda 94 Accord that I got from a spark plug order from their official online distributor seller.

On topic of Nitrile ADBV I never ran into problems of them going bad since I do my oil changes in a timely manner which was 3K on the old Honda and 4-5K on my current Yaris, same goes with those Fram orange cans and STP blue cans filters...

Regarding comment about made in China Denso with nitrile adbvs, point was not whether nitrile adbvs and have their place, clearly they do. Generally accepted, ~5k miles range ok.

Point is, the mentioned China made Denso is currently using false advertising as regards using silicone adbv and have for some time. Since the time of change of coo to China in fact. Simply pointing out the discrepancy between advertising and reality.

Last edited:
Its a good thing this forum exist to catch problems like that, I don't use China Denso filters these days so there isn't much I can complain about. You can try contacting them about that but likely will be turned a blind eye by their customer service as with any other large auto parts company.

They should be reported to the FTC. how long they been doing so, since a supply chain issue or just made the switch to lower costs and never updated product packaging?

The same can said for Fram for ridding metal wire backing on the newer batches of Titanium oil filters as the packaging literature still remains unchanged stating its still wire backed media. Its not just Denso thats false advertising here. Unannounced product revisions usually happen even in the PC hardware industry which is quickly catched by enthusiast to inform consumers to avoid such as ADATA SSDs which are known to swap out controllers and NAND chips silently and lower than advertised performance than stated on their product packaging. This stuff isn't new and is common. Some manufacturers put a fine print that they reserve the right to change a product without notice.

The same can said for Fram for ridding metal wire backing on the newer batches of Titanium oil filters as the packaging literature still remains unchanged stating its still wire backed media. Its not just Denso thats false advertising here.
Same thing happened when the Ultra made the media switch over, but now all the boxes do not show the wire backed media. Seems normal in the consumer world for some cross over like that to happen.

...You can try contacting them about that but likely will be turned a blind eye by their customer service as with any other large auto parts company.
They've (Denso customer service reps) been contacted on more than one occasion by members. They have consistently claimed that it is black silicone. Since then, the China made Denso adbv has been burn tested and proven to be nitrile (more than once).

I don't use them, but as accurately noted, they do appear well made. Updating the box and website adbv info would seem to be the right thing to do. But apparently, not priority.

To be fair I don't see Denso oil filters at all at major automotive retail stores in recent times. I remember to used to be sold at Autozone almost a decade ago in blue boxes, some of them were blue cans back then.

I've always admired the nice even pleat spacing on Premium Guard and Ecogard oil filters (which seem to be made by the same manufacturer). The only negative I see is their flimsy ADBV (at least the nitrile ones seem thin and flimsy....IDK about the silicone versions).

Back