Stick shifts everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look folks,

Some like to shift, most do not, simple. berating either side with elementary anecdotes and insults is childish.

I think most people that choose to buy a new car with a stick are aggressive drivers. My wife prefers manuals and had a hard time finding her car with a stick in the trim package and color she wanted. Many stick cars are now only availible in lower trim levels.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
I went to a Honda dealer recently and asked to see a stick Civic. The saleswoman told me that she had not heard that any were being built.

apparently she had no clue... I just bought a 2016 manual civic.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Purists?!

Most chassis don't deserve a manual. Cars are steering and driving pretty poorly these days. safety geometry kills steering feel?

Completely untrue. Handling is better than ever. Chassis are stiffer, tires are wider and grippier and engineering is built into even the lowliest Toyota Yaris (which handles great). You don't know what you are talking about. Or perhaps you miss the awesome handling of your 1978 Granada.

Only someone who doesn't understand the difference between handling and grip could write this.
Tires are wider?
Sure, and any pig of a platform can be made to have plenty of grip with lots of rubber. It won't handle well, though.
Chassis are stiffer?
Not really. Any decent unibody design of the past four decades is plenty stiff, except for those that use subframes, sometimes correctly called snub frames.
The Yaris "handles great"?
You must have driven a different breed of Yaris from the one I sampled. Is there a Lotus Yaris that I somehow missed?
The reality is that a good handling car is one that you can take very close to its limits on a back road with no worries. If you inadvertently push too hard, it's easily and intuitively recoverable.
Many cars that were considered to have good handling then and now have surprisingly little grip as measured on a skidpad. As measured by a driver on the road, they're awesome.
I could suggest a few decades old designs that were very entertaining and safe to drive, from the first generation of the Z-car through early generations of Civics, the W115 or W123 as well as any BMW through the late nineties.
Today's overweight designs rely more upon various nannies for safe handling than upon anything resembling good design or engineering.
Today's drivers seem too inept and distracted to manage three pedals and a shifter you actually have to use.
A pity. Driving should be fun, as much of it as most of us have to do.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
"Americans have better things to do than operate a clutch pedal and a gear shift while driving, such as texting"

Let's not exclude putting on makeup, drinking coffee and other beverages, smoking, eating everything including from a dinner plate with flat wear, finishing getting dressed, tying a tie

...shaving legs, clipping nails, waiving all over the road...

One big advantage of a stick is that it requires you to pay attention to your driving, meaning less distracted driving. But, I too miss driving a stick, which is one thing that makes motorcycles a lot of fun--you are actually driving (or riding) instead of just letting the vehicle make all the decisions for you. Some of us like to drive or ride.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Nothing is as enjoyable as sitting in an hour or more in bumper to bumper traffic with a stick shift.,,,

I've rarely been in heavy traffic where I couldn't just leave it in first or second and use the throttle to modulate speed without ever touching the clutch pedal or the shifter.
Sometimes it is a little harder and you end up with an excellent workout for your left leg.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think most people that choose to buy a new car with a stick are aggressive drivers. My wife prefers manuals and had a hard time finding her car with a stick in the trim package and color she wanted. Many stick cars are now only availible in lower trim levels.

I am glad (and LUCKY) that the car I am looking at, and seriously considering to purchase, the Fiesta ST is ONLY available with a 6 speed manual gearbox!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif
happy2.gif

I'm coming around to the opinion that a manual tends to be more entertaining when the car actually needs a manual gearbox. For example, my 318ti(with a Turner Motorsports Conforti chip) makes around 140 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. You simply must keep the engine wound tight to make anything close to rapid progress- and it's a lot of fun to drive it in that fashion. In contrast, my M235i makes 330 lb-ft of twist from 1300 to 4500 rpm; with such a flat torque curve there is almost always a ton of thrust available regardless of rpm and/or the gear selected. It's also nice to have a car that can convert from cruise mode to track toy mode with the press of a button. If I was buying an M2 or M3 I would definitely go with a manual every time, but in the less intense models an automatic transmission does not detract from my enjoyment of the car- but then at 59 I'm fast approaching geezer status.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Nothing is as enjoyable as sitting in an hour or more in bumper to bumper traffic with a stick shift.,,,

I've rarely been in heavy traffic where I couldn't just leave it in first or second and use the throttle to modulate speed without ever touching the clutch pedal or the shifter.
Sometimes it is a little harder and you end up with an excellent workout for your left leg.

I think in my Camry I might have wished for an auto in a jam or two. Never in my Jetta though. And that car had one annoying feature: the slowest it would go was 5mph--to go really slow meant modulating the clutch. But when I put in a stronger clutch the pedal effort actually went down! That car was such dream to drive.

My Camry does suffer from heavy tip-in (I bet it'd work well with a torque convertor). And has a horrid clutch and shifter. But it's never driven me nuts with shifting. My Tundra will *not* lock the convertor in 3rd. What happens sometimes is I will give light throttle and be at 1,600rpm... let off to coast a bit and it drops to 1,200... back on and it snaps back to 1,600. ??? Hate that rubber band effect.

Years ago I got a Rio (Accent? something small) with a 4AT. My *right* foot got tired in Boston traffic! With a stick I can shift to neutral and rest. That darn car needed me to crank down on the brake to stay still. When I first got my Tundra I found on more than one occasion I was starting to drift through a light, as before I didn't need to stand on the brake to stay still.

I have no love for AT's but a poorly done MT is no joy either. I'd rather have a poor AT over a poor MT (assuming poor is from poor shift patterns and poor feel, not poor reliability). And if I had to deal with Boston traffic on a regular basis... yeah I'd probably go auto also. Maybe...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Hehe, after we first got our Camry I did find myself driving it just as aggressively as my Jetta. Probably nothing to do with the Camry, but the Jetta was conducive to driving like that.

I've mellowed since then, so maybe there is something to that (the truck is an auto)...

When I get back to the States I'm planning to buy an Accord with MT. I'm just feeling the call of the stick.

I agree with the sentiment that driving MT makes me feel more engaged and attentive, and that it can be more fun.

I'm not really a car guy, but part of me finds the increasing automation of cars and driving unappealing. Perhaps the appeal of manual is a reaction to that.

Seems like before to long we'll all just be passengers in self-driving ubers. I guess we should enjoy driving while it is still legal - MT or otherwise ;-).

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
"Americans have better things to do than operate a clutch pedal and a gear shift while driving, such as texting"

Let's not exclude putting on makeup, drinking coffee and other beverages, smoking, eating everything including from a dinner plate with flat wear, finishing getting dressed, tying a tie

Yes, the ugly truth and I see these idiotic actions multiple times during each drive I make...plenty of times you see these inconsiderate, self centered and potentially deadly fools almost cause an accident! Until you see the fools that DO cause the accident. I think that folks doing these things while driving should be treated as harshly as those DUI.

I went to a Honda dealer recently and asked to see a stick Civic. The saleswoman told me that she had not heard that any were being built.

Typical deceitful $tealership [censored]...she knew darn well there were manual Civics being built, but they had no in their inventory and were trying to sell you a car they had on hand.

I've never understood the allure of the dumbed down modern manual transmissions. There is no particular skill involved in driving a modern, synchronized manual transmission. They've been designed to be easy to operate; anyone can do it and it takes no special skills.

Non-synchronized transmission? Sure, there's a fair amount of skill involved to get the timing right. I suspect that most of the chest-thumpers that brag about their manual transmission skills wouldn't be able to drive a vehicle with a non-synchronized manual transmission, nor would they be able to operate something a bit more complicated like a triplex.

I had to drive a manual VW in Europe for a few days recently. After a horrid gear-shift that had to be constantly jumping between 4th and 5th on the highway due to the gutless engine, I was so glad to get back to an automatic when I returned home.

I really can't imagine buying another manual again.

what engine was that then, and what traffic conditions? you really shouldn't be changing gears on the highway at all, top gear all the way.

In a decent euro car, top gear is useable from 40 mph upwards, my 1992 2 litre gas engined car allowed 20mph and up, driveable from idle speed in 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back