Star Link train

We finally got to see the Star Link train. It is really cool to see. Saw it twice, once Friday night and then again on Saturday night. Has anyone else seen it?

1693946702721.jpeg

I saw it for the first time 2 or 3 summers ago. 0430 in the morning, no one else around. I had no idea what it was.
I was like "Great I am going to die or this just happened and no one is going to believe me! It is aliens!!" Got to work explained it and one guys I work with says "You dumb..." pulled up picture and said "Is this what you saw?" Me "Yes". He goes you "You are going to live."

I saw it for the first time 2 or 3 summers ago. 0430 in the morning, no one else around. I had no idea what it was.
I was like "Great I am going to die or this just happened and no one is going to believe me! It is aliens!!" Got to work explained it and one guys I work with says "You dumb..." pulled up picture and said "Is this what you saw?" Me "Yes". He goes you "You are going to live."
I thought it was an alien invasion too. Lol

Saw it at "Mt Blue state park" in Central Maine, in the middle of the night.

Not impressed. Supposedly the new birds are less reflective.

How is "more internet", bought from "that guy", going to benefit society?

The real benefit is getting internet in places that didn’t have it and that is mainly in underdeveloped countries.

The US Coast Guard is starting to put Starlink on some of their ships. Crew can get email from family, access banking and anything else they need no matter where they are.

Fiber can't be run everywhere. We RV and often don't have good internet or don't have internet at all. Cruise ships are starting to switch from companies who offer geosynchronous satellite internet to Starlink which has near earth orbit satellites. The difference in latency is about 10x better on Starlink. If you have used an internet connection with 500-600ms delay, you will pine for lower latency.

Lots of rural places have horrible internet, limited to DSL or poor satellite reception. My mom lives in rural Oklahoma and her internet speeds are under 1MBps down and like 0.3MBps up on a good clear day. I looked to see if Starlink was available for her location and unfortunately not :(.

Last edited:

I'm happy with his service. We live in the middle of the woods without a landline even. I love having high speed internet

Cool to see, I've seen them a few times.

Too bad about astronomy though. Ground-based research telescopes are going to be pretty much useless due to the tens of thousands of satellites photo bombing.

These must be to replace the train that all fried earlier this year when That Guy Who Knows More Than Everyone About Space launched them during a solar storm.

Because the satellites fly low and are merely "bent pipes" that relay radio signals directly back to Earth, Starlink only works when there is a ground station within about 300 miles of the user. There is far from worldwide coverage as most of the necessary stations have not been built. The middle of some oceans may never be covered. Other regions it isn't profitable.

Funny! Couple years ago, I was out walking to the other garage at 2am or something, looked up and saw a shooting star...cool. Then I noticed a few behind it, the string and a few stragglers. I had no idea what it was, but did think that if they land and say "We come in peace" I'm out of there, I'm a 'runnin! :D

Fiber can't be run everywhere. We RV and often don't have good internet or don't have internet at all. Cruise ships are starting to switch from companies who offer geosynchronous satellite internet to Starlink which has near earth orbit satellites. The difference in latency is about 10x better on Starlink. If you have used an internet connection with 500-600ms delay, you will pine for lower latency.
That makes sense - geosynchronous satellites orbit at about 22,300 miles, correct? It would take light (and radio waves) about 1/8 of a second to travel each way (186,000 miles/second divided by 22,300 miles = approximately 0.125 s. Out and back = 2x that = 0.25 s.

That's a best-possible case, assuming the satellite is directly overhead. In practice the radio waves would have to go farther. Your cited figure of 500 - 600 ms (0.5 - 0.6 s) is quite realistic.

It's a military project and that's how the society benefits.

It's a military project and that's how the society benefits.
How is it a military project?

It’s privately funded. Sells the product to anyone.

They’ve had to get regulatory approval from governments to offer the service in new areas/jurisdictions.

But this is a private enterprise.

And what it is selling: high speed internet in remote locations, seems to be selling well.

Back