spray wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to wash and wax my car this weekend, before the weather starts to get bitterly cold around here. My question is, how long do the spray on waxes generally last? I have some Lucas slick mist I want to use,but wondered if one application will last until spring? I bought my scion used in mid June and unfortunately haven't had a chance to wash our wax it so far, so that's why i'm itching to get it fine before winter really hits, as I won't have time or the warm weather to do it until spring and I was thinking of trying the spray on wax to save some time. I do have done meguires nxt gen if you guys recommend something other than a spray wax. Thanks

My old Volvo is scratched topsides with a few faded areas. I've given up on the shine up top, but down below is real clean and nice and black. German black Wax in a can, incredible stuff for preventing rust. I'm still trying to find out what it is, as it has no oil or thinners base that I can smell and seems to be like UK Waxoyl, but it's not gold but black and is made by the locals. My guess it's used truck oil, wax and glue from the dog food factory.

Last edited:
A spay wax should be used monthly if that's all you plan to use. I'd use a WOWO like someone also already mentioned. Megs NXT won't last much longer than a good spray sealant/wax. I'd go with Duragloss or Collinite if it's above 40. Apply to the whole vehicles, and the start removing where you began. It should be hazed by then. If not, wait longer.

Many quick detailers (cleaners) are called spray wax but contain none. There is one with carnauba that will last up to five months but that's under ideal conditions.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

It's an excellent product, I use it but question how long any product would last on a car that hasn't even been washed since June. The surface has to be prepared correctly for any product to adhere. Look for a chemical paint cleaner such as Duragloss #501, Klasse AIO, or similar at a minimum. Follow up with a good sealant known for durability. A wax known for durability is Collinite #845 and spoken of quite often here..

If the car is garaged kept and washed every other week, the spray on wax might last that long.

If it's parked outside and washed weekly then it the water beading protection will be washed off within a month or so.

Reapplying it isn't even that hard, even in cold weather. Wash the car (drive through, etc) wipe it dry with a microfiber towel, spray on and buff the spray on wax. Do it on the warmest day possible.

I looked up the duragloss 501, is it ok for paint? The only thing they recommended it for was boats or rv's that are fiberglass with a gel coat on them. If so, I take it I should use this stuff and then follow up with the collinite #845, or is the Duragloss enough?

NuFinish Cling is about the longest lasting spray wax on the market. It is not very shiny and can streak but it lasts a good couple 3 months months or so.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I looked up the duragloss 501, is it ok for paint? The only thing they recommended it for was boats or rv's that are fiberglass with a gel coat on them. If so, I take it I should use this stuff and then follow up with the collinite #845, or is the Duragloss enough?

DG 501 is great for cars - used it many times.

If you decide to try it - apply VERY thin - almost to the point where if you can see it - it's too thick.

Last edited:
Spray waxes are really best used as wax maintainers, in my opinion and experience. Using a spray wax alone will probably give you a weeks's worth of protection. However, if you have properly cleaned and waxed your car then a spray wax can extend your wax's life and keep it looking better longer.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad

DG 501 is great for cars - used it many times.

If you decide to try it - apply VERY thin - almost to the point where if you can see it - it's too thick.

When you say to apply very thin, your talking about the collinite 845, right?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Many quick detailers (cleaners) are called spray wax but contain none. There is one with carnauba that will last up to five months but that's under ideal conditions.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

It's an excellent product, I use it but question how long any product would last on a car that hasn't even been washed since June. The surface has to be prepared correctly for any product to adhere. Look for a chemical paint cleaner such as Duragloss #501, Klasse AIO, or similar at a minimum. Follow up with a good sealant known for durability. A wax known for durability is Collinite #845 and spoken of quite often here..

Why not just use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, it does contain Carnuba and can be had at a store for $9-$11. For a daily driver ordering might not be worth it in his case.

I use eagle wax as u dry on my fiberglass sided travel trailer, claims to have some carnuba. I use it before each trip. I don't think it holds up long, but my TT has too much surface for me to paste wax and rub down, so its this after every wash before each road trip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Spray waxes are really best used as wax maintainers, in my opinion and experience. Using a spray wax alone will probably give you a weeks's worth of protection. However, if you have properly cleaned and waxed your car then a spray wax can extend your wax's life and keep it looking better longer.

+1

When you say to apply very thin, your talking about the collinite 845, right?

Actually - this practice would apply to just about any polymer sealant - of which the Duragloss line is very good.

Eagle one is a pretty good spray. Fills in swirls and gives decent protection for an OTC product. It says 6 months (I call [censored]) but you should get protection for at least a month in a harsh winter. Just find time once a month to wash and re spray and you should be fine.

Make sure to spray under the doors and in areas where salt/water can dwell.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Eagle one is a pretty good spray. Fills in swirls and gives decent protection for an OTC product. It says 6 months (I call [censored]) but you should get protection for at least a month in a harsh winter. Just find time once a month to wash and re spray and you should be fine.

Make sure to spray under the doors and in areas where salt/water can dwell.

This is why I was curious as to how long it lasts because I have to wash it outdoors, and its to [censored] cold most of the winter do it. I have a small one car garage, but there isn't enough room to pull the car in there and wax it. We also have a baby on the way, due in late january and I'm already having a hard time finding the time to wash and wax ( I do the inside of the car too, so its an all day project), I can only imagine its going to get worse once the baby arrives. I'm thinking since I have the time this weekend, I'll wash and wax it, maybe get some Nufinish since that seems to be a longer lasting over the counter wax protection wise to get me through most of the winter, and then maybe get some collinite and duragloss for this spring and then stick with that stuff twice a year. I'll probably clay bar it in the spring too.

On a side note, what do you guys like to use on the plastic trim? I've been using 303 Aerospace protectant and have been pretty happy with it. Anything out there last longer? I started using this stuff back when I had my 08 Jeep Wrangler due to all the black plastic and the soft top, many of the jeep guys swear by this stuff, did a nice job on the soft top especially. Prior to that, I used mothers back to black, and I swear it did something to the plastic, as it seemed to dull up much quicker and fade faster than when I did nothing to it at all. Was not happy with that stuff at all.

303 is nice until it rains, or you wash it again. Then, it washes right off. I like Megs Ultimate Protection in the gel. It's one of the few Megs products I endorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back